Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Best tires for the C-Max??

Tires suggestions/recommendations

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,790 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

About 4k miles ago (8 weeks ago), I put on my 3rd set of tires.  My previous sets of tires (Original Michelin Energy Saver and Ecopia 422 Plus) both began getting "noisy" at 25 - 30 k miles.  The Michelins were so noisy at 40+ k miles that I changed them after coming home from a long road trip at around 48 k miles even though they would have likely gone 60k+ miles.  The Ecopia weren't quite as noisy as the Michelins at 40 k miles but I decided to change them at 42 k miles as I was planning several longer road trips including moving back to AZ.  The Ecopias would have easily reached 50 - 60 k miles based on treadwear.

So, my thought process was do I spend around $180 per tire for Michelins, $160 for Ecopias, or try something less expensive knowing that I'd like take a hit in FE but perhaps improve performance.  BTW, my estimation is that my FE took a hit of about 2-3 % with the Ecopias over the Michelins (say 1 mpg at 40 mpg).  IMO, the issue with the noisy tires is due to the "unadjustable" camber causing excessive rear inner tire wear and some feathering and cupping. 

After much research, I bought the General AltiMAX RT43.  IMO after nearly 4 k miles of driving, the General's are hands down better than the Michelins and Ecopias with respect to performance, noise and ride comfort (especially if you like a stiffer feeling tire).  The drawback with the General's is FE.  I'd say that the Generals are 2-3 % worse than the Ecopias and 4-6% worse than the Michelins (2 mpg at 40 mpg).  I know that those that value FE more than performance won't be able to live with the FE hit over the Michelins.  But the performance of the Generals, IMO, runs circles around the Michelins. BTW, I'm running 45-46 psi in the Generals as they are a lot firmer feeling tire than the Michelins.  I ran about 48 psi in the Michelins and Ecopias. 

IMO, the worst case scenario for me would be that I would use about 100 gallons more gas with the Generals than the Michelins or spend an extra say $225 in fuel.  But the Generals are only about $110 a tire.  Even after the $70 rebates for the Michelins, the Generals and Michelins should cost about the same over the life of the tire.  

I'll let the reader go to TireRack and read their test report on the General.  I've attached several snips showing a comparison of the three tires from TireRack.  Time will tell how the noise issue progresses with the Generals.

Attached File  Compare Tires 1.JPG   91.16KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Compare Tires 2.JPG   110.46KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Compare Tires 3.JPG   87.53KB   0 downloads

• JAZ and obob like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#102 OFFLINE   kyledamron

kyledamron

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 23 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

Not used the Michelins. I'd take Firestones over Goodyear... and that's coming from someone who lives like 10 miles from Goodyear. They're quieter and have more traction.

#103 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 176 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:33 AM

I've also tried the Pirelli P7' LRR tires also which I liked but I guess I drive too aggressively because none of these tires seem to be all that long-wearing for me.  I'm currently using Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max recommended by dealer - they have been okay.  I put them on last year and expect to change them either this fall or next Spring depending on how much tread is left for the winter.

#104 OFFLINE   HotPotato

HotPotato

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 252 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:12 AM

OK, I owe my Pirelli P7 AS tires an apology. Part of the issue is that they were "greasy" and new, and part of the issue was that, despite being told three times to please fill the tires to the pressures stated on the door jamb panel, the tire shop underinflated them. I am now running the pressure a bit higher than I did with the Michelins, but the squirmy handling is gone. I'd still probably go OEM if I were to do it over, but I'm satisfied.

I do rotate the tires at every oil change, so neither the Michelins or Pirellis have ever gotten particularly noisy. The OEM Goodyears on my last new car got really noisy over time, while the Yokohama S Drives I replaced them with never did (but at some cost to handling precision -- those Yokes were heavy and greasy til the last mile).

#105 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 176 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:01 AM

The P7's had an "issue" if you want to call it that - when they would first bite into snow the handling squirmed around a bit but after that initial push through the snow they actually had fairly good traction in light snow.  They also seemed fairly quiet.  My only two issues were it seemed like I took a hit in MPG vs. OEM tires and the wear life didn't seem to be that long, otherwise they were a good tire.  With the OEM tires it seemed like by varying driving technique I could vary MPG, with the P7's it seemed like the tires were a little bit "stickier" - the best, and worst I could get was around 40MPG with the PSI at around 42.

Edited by jestevens, 22 September 2017 - 06:03 AM.

#106 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,186 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

I bought MADMAX for the MPG's, so until someone comes out with a better MPG tire I'll stick with the OEM Michelin's. :)

Paul

• C-MaxSea likes this

#107 OFFLINE   anbron

anbron

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFl
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:08 AM

I currently run toyo tires Ultra Z900. So far, traction and handling are good. Low road noise and no hydroplaning.

Edited by anbron, 03 October 2017 - 02:09 AM.

#108 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,186 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

I currently run toyo tires Ultra Z900. So far, traction and handling are good. Low road noise and no hydroplaning.

What change in gas mileage did you get?

Paul

#109 OFFLINE   NedBCNY

NedBCNY

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi

Posted Yesterday, 02:56 PM

My wife has claimed my Energi; Blu... to replace our venerable FEH which went on to the big junkyard in the sky. To keep her safe this winter I just ordered a set of firestone Winterforce2 on steel rims for her. I’ll keep the OEM on the stock rims in the shed until the snow clears.

As I mentioned elsewhere i’m Looking at a hybrid and a n Energi for myself, will probably put replacement
Snows on the stock rims for my car.

#110 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,186 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted Yesterday, 04:28 PM

My wife has claimed my Energi; Blu... to replace our venerable FEH which went on to the big junkyard in the sky. To keep her safe this winter I just ordered a set of firestone Winterforce2 on steel rims for her. I’ll keep the OEM on the stock rims in the shed until the snow clears.

As I mentioned elsewhere i’m Looking at a hybrid and a n Energi for myself, will probably put replacement

Seems like a lot of work going back an forth. :sad:

Paul

#111 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 560 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Did you get 2 or 4 tires and did you have pressure sensors installed ?  Thanks.

Edited by obob, Yesterday, 05:11 PM.

#112 OFFLINE   NedBCNY

NedBCNY

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSyracuse NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Energi

Posted Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Paul, yeah... that’s what snow county does for you. I didn’t get a full winter experience with Blu this spring, however my experience with my Prii tell me snows will add a bit of insurance. A Prius without snow tires in Syracuse makes a great ornament in some ditch or your garage... it isn’t going anywhere happily otherwise.

Obob, went full boogie... 4 tires on rims plus tpms sensors. I hate the way Blu nags with one low tire ( repaired) let alone all four with no signal. $800 shipped to local shop. I know it will mean a mpg reduction, just a cost of living with 4 seasons. Also putting two on just leaves one end with rotten adhesion so you work harder to compensate, better to have the same traction on all four corners. I fully expect to get four winters Out of these tires.

Edited by NedBCNY, Yesterday, 08:12 PM.

• obob likes this

#113 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,330 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted Today, 02:22 AM

Paul, you need to come up here some February! 

Ned, we also have a full set of snows for the C-Max, so I was interested in a new tire design from Michelin, the CrossClimate+, for my wife's Sonata Hybrid. They are supposed to have the traction and braking of a dedicated snow tire, to the point where they bear the "3-peak snowflake" symbol. But they also claim it handles like a high-end summer tire, and it has a 600 A A UTQG

Unfortunately, the "+" is a new model, supposedly with a different tread compound, so the only test data available is from Europe, on the original CrossClimate. Several of the tests liked the balance of performance, as good as summer tires in dry and wet, but no where close to them in snow. 

My wife teaches, so she has to get to school whenever it's open. Last winter, she took the snow-shod C-Max on snowy days. This year, I wanted her to be less dependent on taking my car, and be better able to handle the highly variable snowfall rates characteristic of lake effect snow should she hit a squall. 

At the same time, I didn't want to swap snow tires on a second car... and I can't say anything about them yet as they're still in her trunk.

Frank

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tires, suggestions/recommendations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·