Tire Pressure

REC

The recommended tire pressure for the C-Max is 38 psi.

Does anyone slightly over-inflate the tire pressure (to, say, 40 psi) to try to increase their mileage? If so, how has that worked for you?

REC

Edited by REC

My Fusion calls for 34 PSI (cold) in the stock Michelin XSE P225 50R17's. ((still in use)) I use 38 for several reasons, better MPGs, easier to adjust the pressure if need be, don't have to add air as often & better handling - no abnormal wear - If C-Max I'd go up 1 or 2 PSI and see how it goes (how much difference between cold and hot) ?

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the pressure the evening after picking up the car from the dealer and they had 34 psi with the tires not cold, so they were probably around 32 when cold. I got no warning light on the dash from the monitoring system. After increasing them up to 38, the ride is firmer and less comfortable, but still acceptable. I had the same experience when I bought my previous car. I have to wonder if dealerships deliberately keep tire pressure slightly low so it feels more comfortable during test drives and after initial purchase.

The recommended tire pressure for the C-Max is 38 psi.

Does anyone slightly over-inflate the tire pressure (to, say, 40 psi) to try to increase their mileage? If so, how has that worked for you?

REC

One of my tire gauges says the pressure is 38psi another says the pressure is 40psi.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had the tire warning light pop up (solid), but the pressure in my tires is around 34psi (though I need to verify with a better gauge). None of the tires appears to be low, but I added a couple pounds for good measure and will get them to 38psi once I have a gauge I can trust. I still have to drive it around to see if it will reset.

According to the Vehicle Health Report I ran it says the following (in case somebody else runs into this):

Light Stays On: Check the tire pressure to ensure tires are properly inflated. After inflating your tires to the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure, the vehicle must be driven for at least two minutes over 20 mph (32 km/h) before the light will turn off.

Flashes for about one minute then Stays On: The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) may not be able to detect or signal low tire pressure. Contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible.

• 5 weeks later...

When I put my snow tires and wheels on I elected to go without the TPMS sensors.  It was probably a week before the yellow light came on, and when it finally did we were on a trip.  All the other driving was short trips around town, so that is probably why it took so long for the light to activate.  I have the Michelin X-Ice 3 tires inflated to 40 psi to help with rolling resistance.  I put 16" wheels and tires on and since the sidewall is much taller than the stock tires, I don't notice any difference in ride quality.

I've heard the Fusion's light normally comes on when the pressure drops to ~24 PSI in any tire - not sure if C-Max is the same - why did CNC's light come on at ~34, did it reset by itself ?

I added air and the TPMS light went off as they should after some driving.  I am not sure if they were really 34lbs or not (certainly not 24lbs though), could have been lower since the gauge I had at the time was not very accurate.  I've since added air twice (not a leak, just seemed to need a bit more), and will be equalizing the air pressure in all 4 tires this weekend with my handy-dandy new Craftsman tire gauge which has a bleeder to get the pressure just right.  Gonna set it to 38lbs I think.

Edited by CNCGeek

I just put 40 psi in all four tires today. Took a fifty mile round trip and it was not bad at all. I can sense a little more firmness in the ride but totally comfortable still. The route included inclines up a small mountain (one steep incline and one medium incline). Got 40+ mpg overall for the trip. Had defrost on occasionally as well. Outside temp was around 42F. I will compare mpg with my commute route next week to see if it impacted mileage.

• 2 weeks later...

I bumped mine up to 41 (they were @ 36) last night. My normal trip I typically get 39 there and 32 back and today I got 43.8 there and 40 back. Temps low to mid 40's and no wind / rain today. I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this to see if it keeps improving milage over what I've been getting. I do notice a bit more cabin noise in the vehicle, but I'll take it if I get this type of mileage.