Anyone else seen this phone issue?

I am taking the car in to have it checked but has anyone else had issues answering incoming calls with the steering column button? I can no longer answer incoming calls with the button. Instead, I have to answer calls with the MFT. Same thing with every phone I have tried so I am pretty positive it is the button. (Only 1300 miles on the clock so it is well within the warranty)

Hi BretJ,

I can't say for sure that it's the same, but mine was sort of a learning curve......finding the right spot to press to get it to answer. When I first got my C-MAX in the fall of 2013, it seemed like I could NEVER answer the phone on the steering column. But over time, either I've gotten better at finding the right spot to press, or the car is *broken in* now. Either way, I can answer and hang up calls from the steering column now.

I hope yours is the same, but I'd still probably have it looked at, the next time you're by your dealership. Mine offered a free hour tutorial, so if yours does the same, that might be a good time to check it out.

That button has always worked for me.  Tonight I got a call while standing outside the car, got inside to the car

to finish the call and while I was talking my wife turned the car on to acc mode and the car took over the

call to the car speaker and I was able to continue the call through the car without a problem.  Great technology.

I was using an iphone.

Funny this subject has come up.  Lately I have had so much trouble with answering incoming calls.  I gave up with using the right side paddle as it rarely works.  Instead I have been pushing the button which is displayed on the MFT screen which lets me take the call.  However lately that hasn't even been working since it doesn't come up faithfully on the screen and I usually end up pulling my iphone 5 out of the cradle to take the call.  Then once the call is in motion I can reinstall my iphone in the cradle and usually the call transfers to the speakers.  I'm thinking at least some of the problem might be because of my cradle and the lightning connector being inserted and removed so many times into my iphone5.  Very annoying problem to say the least.

I have been able to answer the phone on almost all occasions. My problem is the car's delay in switching to the call.

Incoming calls take place in this sequence:

1) I hear the actual phone ring (or vibrate).

2) Any music playing via the entertainment system is muted.

3) The small display to the right of the speedometer changes to a linear progress scale as if I am playing a song on my iPod.

4) I hear the ringing through the car's speakers.

5) The large MFT screen changes to shows the person calling and option to "Answer" or "Ignore".

6) The small display to the right of the speedometer shows the person calling.

By now the phone has already rung a couple of times.

7) Since it is probably the most convenient one, I press the green phone paddle on the steering wheel.

8) Nothing happens for a couple of seconds and the ringing is still heard through the car speakers.

At this point, any one of the following has happened to me:

A) The ringing stops, I say "hello", and I am connected to the caller.

B) The ringing stops, I say "hello", there is no response from the caller, thinking that I answered too fast I repeat "hello", and then I am connected to the caller.

C) The ringing continues, I press the green phone paddle again, the ringing continues, I now frantically begin pressing other buttons such as the right "OK" button on the steering wheel or the "Answer" button on the MFT screen. The button on the MFT screen seems to be more reliable in answering the call.

Obviously A) is the intended result but it is by no means the only one. Because of the delays in MFT with all of these steps I feel like I have to press a button and wait to see if the phone is answered. If I start to press too many buttons the results become unpredictable. The problem with waiting for MFT to catch up to me is that the incoming call will be forced into voicemail.

It sounds like the OP is having result C) on a consistent basis (except maybe the frantic part).

I am taking the car in to have it checked but has anyone else had issues answering incoming calls with the steering column button? I can no longer answer incoming calls with the button. Instead, I have to answer calls with the MFT. Same thing with every phone I have tried so I am pretty positive it is the button. (Only 1300 miles on the clock so it is well within the warranty)

Hi, BretJ,

I agree that a dealer visit is in order. Let me know how it goes.

Funny this subject has come up.  Lately I have had so much trouble with answering incoming calls.  I gave up with using the right side paddle as it rarely works.  Instead I have been pushing the button which is displayed on the MFT screen which lets me take the call.  However lately that hasn't even been working since it doesn't come up faithfully on the screen and I usually end up pulling my iphone 5 out of the cradle to take the call.  Then once the call is in motion I can reinstall my iphone in the cradle and usually the call transfers to the speakers.  I'm thinking at least some of the problem might be because of my cradle and the lightning connector being inserted and removed so many times into my iphone5.  Very annoying problem to say the least.

I suggest a dealer visit for you as well if the buttons aren't working; however, the cradle could definietely be causing your other issue. You can try a master reset on MFT to see if that helps:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/perform-master-reset-sync-myford-touch

I'm sure you already know this, but as a disclaimer, the master reset will clear all of your SYNC-related data (phone pairing, indexing, etc.)

I have been able to answer the phone on almost all occasions. My problem is the car's delay in switching to the call.

Incoming calls take place in this sequence:

1) I hear the actual phone ring (or vibrate).

2) Any music playing via the entertainment system is muted.

3) The small display to the right of the speedometer changes to a linear progress scale as if I am playing a song on my iPod.

4) I hear the ringing through the car's speakers.

5) The large MFT screen changes to shows the person calling and option to "Answer" or "Ignore".

6) The small display to the right of the speedometer shows the person calling.

By now the phone has already rung a couple of times.

7) Since it is probably the most convenient one, I press the green phone paddle on the steering wheel.

8) Nothing happens for a couple of seconds and the ringing is still heard through the car speakers.

At this point, any one of the following has happened to me:

A) The ringing stops, I say "hello", and I am connected to the caller.

B) The ringing stops, I say "hello", there is no response from the caller, thinking that I answered too fast I repeat "hello", and then I am connected to the caller.

C) The ringing continues, I press the green phone paddle again, the ringing continues, I now frantically begin pressing other buttons such as the right "OK" button on the steering wheel or the "Answer" button on the MFT screen. The button on the MFT screen seems to be more reliable in answering the call.

Obviously A) is the intended result but it is by no means the only one. Because of the delays in MFT with all of these steps I feel like I have to press a button and wait to see if the phone is answered. If I start to press too many buttons the results become unpredictable. The problem with waiting for MFT to catch up to me is that the incoming call will be forced into voicemail.

It sounds like the OP is having result C) on a consistent basis (except maybe the frantic part).

When you notice the delay or even lack of response, HPRifleman, are you listening to music on your phone via USB or Bluetooth? If so, that could be causing the delays.

Rebecca

Edited by FordIVTteam

When you notice the delay or even lack of response, HPRifleman, are you listening to music on your phone via USB or Bluetooth? If so, that could be causing the delays.

No. The music I am listening to is almost always via Sirius satellite radio. An iPod is plugged into one of the USB ports in the center console but is not used very often.

I tried having music on my phone and connecting that via Bluetooth but it was too much of a pain to manage all the songs and, as I remember, I couldn't use playlists properly. That may have been a phone problem but it has been a while since I attempted it that I have forgotten.

The delay in answering incoming calls is pretty minor but it is annoying. My expectation is that the sequence of "see incoming call, press button to answer, begin conversation" takes place much faster than presently happens. As it is I am waiting on the system instead of the other way around.