Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

MY CMAX is a lemon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
167 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,960 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

So glad you have reiterated your points P3G for the ____ teenth time.  So glad there are a few brave souls willing to judge a car for themselves, and give relative weight to the 'hard' facts of our self appointed 'fact' (often impression) keepers - CR & JDP.  They only measure very limited aspects of a vehicle & its' ownership criteria. 

Surveys are surveys, and subject to radical departures based on misinformation, misunderstanding, ....................... not to mention the psychology of expectation.  (expecting 10, get a 9 - not happy, lash out;  expecting a 5 and get 7 - exceedingly happy ..............  regardless, 9 exceeds 7)

I am reminded of how easy it is to mislead with statistics - chopped graphs, 'push' polls, ..........................  Yes CR & JDP mean well (at least I assume), and yes some of their information is very meaningful, but they are woefully misleading at times, and more importantly incomplete as to what constitutes a desirable vehicle to many.

I can't imagine why you still drive your C-Max P3G with all of those terrible 'facts' on the table - glad you do!  I know I would never have driven our Volvo to 300,000 miles if I had paid attention to the truth keepers - lots of upkeep, but the best car we have ever owned (probably still on the road with 500,000 miles by now).

Best regards,

Nick 

(If only we all drove a Skoda like the authorities 'recommended' - Nah, long live imperfect & sometimes innovative choices)

Because people seem to think this forum is Facebook where one selects their friends and only "good" things are said. :)  I knew it was only a matter of time before JD and CR were thrown under the bus and the data would be questioned. :)  Shouldn't everyone have access to ALL data and make their own decision.

Well my Volvo 164E had a body leak that the dealer couldn't find / fix. Every time I drove it in a downpour (SW PA) the left side of the floor boards filled with water.  There was no buybacks then. So when there was a forecast of heavy rain, I didn't drive it.  I ended up getting rid of it at 28k miles for a loss of $500.  And guess what I haven't owned a Volvo since even though it was one of the best cars I've owned.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 12 March 2014 - 12:36 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 974 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Sounds like we are a perfect compliment in perspectives P3G.  That works.  :)

I would never (well at least not every day) throw CR or JDP under the bus, as I said they have meaningful data - taken in perspective. I would disagree about the forum.  This is hardly a C-Max love fest here, rather a very self critical, helpful forum discussing some of the good things, learning tools, work-a-rounds, customizing  ..... ;  but with a heavy dose of glitches along the way. (ideally based on specific questions, concerns, issues, ...........................)  Thankfully Ford finally heard our pleas and came on board.

Too bad on the 164, maybe it was the dealer (I sure would not know), ours was a 244 and stellar - not for upkeep (reliability), just a great car in every other way! 

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea, 12 March 2014 - 01:22 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

Yep, forums need to hear all sides.

We really liked the 164.  I spent many weekend with a hose throwing water everywhere and no water would enter the cabin.  I had everything pulled out of the cabin that was easy to remove.  IIRC, it did not have a belly pan or inner fenders.  So, my theory was during heavy downpours, the tires sprayed water underneath / against the firewall and there was a way for the water to get in on the driver's side (maybe around the steering wheel penetration, a/c penetration and so forth).  Could have simply been a missing gasket but I couldn't see it and the dealer never could find the problem in about 4-5 attempts.

We almost bought an 1800es in this color instead of the 164e in a deep burgundy.  IMO, the 1800es is a classic. I'm not sure the 240 series was out in 1973 when we made the purchase.

#24 OFFLINE   salprint

salprint

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 80 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SE

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:20 AM

Really sad to hear that you don't like your C-Max and that you are having so much trouble.  I've owned a lot of new cars in my life....from economy cars to luxury Jaguars, and from sports cars to big muscle car Mustangs.  I really loved the muscle cars and hope to have another one some day.  But it wouldn't be at the loss of my C-Max.  I absolutely love this car and can't see myself parting with it for anything.  I love the technology and just the overall "feel" of the car.  If I do get another muscle car, it will be "in addition" to my C-Max.  I just won't part with this car.  So I get very disappointed if thats the right word, when I hear someone who dislikes the car.  I have high hopes for American cars, and I really want the buying public to change their opinion of the quality of them.  I've been buying Fords for years and I'll put their quality up against any foreign car any day of the week.  So...sorry to hear you got a bad one, I hope it was a rare thing.

• ptjones, Adair and C-MaxSea like this

#25 OFFLINE   BIG ROCCO

BIG ROCCO

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 256 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPHOENIX, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

So, I guess we do agree that the OP's experience is not representative of whole C-Max population?  Would we say it has a few more issues than normal or would we go so far as to say it's a lemon?

#26 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 68 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationCleveland, TN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-max SEL 302A

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

I'm sorry that you have had all of the issues that you mentioned. It sounds to me that a lot of your frustration stems mostly from your local dealers approach to resolving the issue for you. The 2013 year model is a first year model and most will tell you to be wary of a first year model because in reality the public is the final Beta test run. Unlike a computer program where software companies have sometimes thousands of beta testers to work 99% of the bugs out of a program before it goes public, car manufacturers really have only the development team to test and test. As the Cmax (and all cars) are software driven these days this is the real hurdle to overcome. Just look at all of the recalls for the 2013 Escape & Fusion while there not being any for the 2014 models.

I bought my Cmax in November after all of these issues had been resolved, with software updates. I love my Cmax, there is a break in period and temperature has a large effect on performance. I have almost 10k miles on mine and the weather has warmed up to the 60-70s. I'm consistently getting 55-59 mpg on my 31 mile commute home now and coming home last night from dinner I was in the mid 60s. I don't drive extremely slow either, I probably average, and I'm guessing here, about 50-52 mph. This will be my first tank over 50 mpg :D That being said what most people do not ever take into consideration is the fact that the EPA ratings for highway mileage are based upon the following criteria: 11 miles flat terrain in a controlled environment, no accessories powered up, 100% gasoline, and at a constant speed of 48.3 mph. In reality the EPA should have city / highway / interstate

Again I'm sorry for the troubles you've had but I'm sure Ford will make it right. I recommend you try a different dealer. Trust me, if another dealer finds out the trouble you've had with your dealer, they will go above and beyond to earn your business. I really hope you stick it out and end up loving your Cmax as most of us here.

Edited by John Sparks, 16 March 2014 - 11:55 AM.

• C-MaxSea, HannahWCU and salsaguy like this

#27 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 425 posts
  • LocationMetro San Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

There have been far too many lemons of this model. Every day I drive MY C-Max I am THANKFUL it has shown NO signs of being a lemon. Because it is a BITCHIN car and I am glad I can drive it without problem every day. 

I can't wait to see the Satisfaction scores for this car, because I think despite how many problems it has for so many, I think for the vast majority it will prove to be a vehicle that people absolutely love. With typical products, the problems motivate perception more than the features / benefits. But I think with exceptional products, it is the benefits that outweigh the problems. And I think the C-Max is one of those products. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger, 17 March 2014 - 12:04 AM.

• C-MaxSea, robertiv, ScubaDadMiami and 1 other like this

#28 OFFLINE   C-Max Smith

C-Max Smith

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Sorry to hear your C Max is being anything but Max.  I purchased mine late April 2013 and really enjoy the vehicle.  It drives well, gets average of 45 MPG and is very comfortable.  Other than a few recalls and a dead battery. The battery went dead due to some systems not going to sleep when I turned to the off.  I called Ford Roadside Assistance and they sent a truck and jumped it.  It started up immediately and I have not had that happen since.  The other issues have come from the Sync.  It is just weird at times.  Maybe I need to have the dealership reprogram the system.  I take it to Palm Bay Ford and find them very attentive to their customers. I drive 7.5 miles from my home to where I meet my van pool, usually 6 miles is battery and regen from the brakes.  The highest I have seen on the gauge cluster is 52.3 mpg.   Ford should take back your car and give you another as with the problems you have had I would say it is a Lemon!

Edited by C-Max Smith, 19 March 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   Steve1945

Steve1945

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

Hi all,
As I said before ,I been having my car for over a year it is a SE , with 18,000 miles and I have to say no problems at all. You will bring in this car to get service more often than others because of its technology , as for the above who looking for a lemon law, the car has 36, 000 miles on it, that's a lot of wear and tear on a car that's only a yr old. I do not see that happening , understand they did have problems, but from what I read it was not the same problem each time. Sounds like to me they got a bum dealership working on their car, if that was me I would have called Ford right at the beginning or went to a differrent Ford dealership.I do not get 47, to be honest but what I get I am very happy 44 in city and 42 on interstate. My truck was 18 on interstate and 12 in city. Again I wish the above poster all the best.. Brought my car in Feb 13 and del date was Jan 13. But for you to say to the forum not to buy a CMax is not right, yes you have your opinion, but as a CMax owner I do too. Thanks.....

I would like to know just what speed you are traveling at on the interstate to mpg on the interstate. I am getting 45 mpg in city. However I get 38 mpg on the interstate at 72 - 74 mph.

Thanks

#30 OFFLINE   BIG ROCCO

BIG ROCCO

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationPHOENIX, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

Higher highway speeds reduce MPG on all vehicles, but the C-Max does not seem to be an especially aerodynamic car, so I think higher speeds have an even greater effect than they would on a sleeker car.  We try to keep highway speed mostly under 70MPH, and we got about 45 MPG on our recent trip Phoenix to Las Vegas ~600 miles round trip

• C-MaxSea, ScubaDadMiami and salsaguy like this

#31 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,409 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

Aerodynamic drag has two components, drag coefficient, Cd, and cross-sectional area, A. Total Drag is the product; CdA 

The C-Max has a low Cd, roughly 0.3, but compared with comparable Prii, it has a much larger A, and so more drag. Regardless, any real-world vehicle with a Cd of 0.3 is highly aerodynamic.

We sometimes get hung up on specific aspects of a car, like Cd.  If you study aerodynamics a bit, you'll find that very low Cd cars are unstable in cross winds. We've all had a cross wind push us toward an adjascent lane, but the car remained pointed down the road; that's good aero design. With low Cd designs, you're aimed at the guardrail. Be careful what you ask for... 

HAve fun,

Frank

• C-MaxSea and salsaguy like this

#32 OFFLINE   Retire36

Retire36

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:Fit

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

I was contemplating buying a c-max but not after reading this thread. I drove a 2009 Honda Fit off the the lot 11/2008 and have never been back except to buy a battery. I can't imagine the cost of making multiple trips to a Ford dealer to have the problems  noted above fixed when the warranty expires. I'm out. Good luck to C-Max owners

#33 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:45 PM

I was contemplating buying a c-max but not after reading this thread. I drove a 2009 Honda Fit off the the lot 11/2008 and have never been back except to buy a battery. I can't imagine the cost of making multiple trips to a Ford dealer to have the problems  noted above fixed when the warranty expires. I'm out. Good luck to C-Max owners

Thats probably a good call for you - not being funny or nothing, and best of luck in your search. Hang around any car forum and everyone has something bad to say about it. Eventually.

Like any other car, theres always a lemons. I laid down top dollar on a 2004 Jaguar XJ back then (and I could have bought 2 1/2 CMaxs with that money) and that was a true lemon with more time in shop than actual driving - electrics, shocks and that was from a LUXURY car manufacturer. I never once complained because Galpin really, really took care of us but no matter what they did, the car would do this or that & back to the shop.

Speaking of lemons, my lemon :flirt: Maxine just did 80MPG to work and finished the day at 61.5MPG. What a lemon indeed...better make some lemonade while I can ... Cheers everyone.... :drool:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax, 28 April 2014 - 10:46 PM.

• LizM, HannahWCU and salsaguy like this

#34 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,408 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

Maxine just did 80MPG to work and finished the day at 61.5MPG.

It pains me to read this, when I am now running only about 51 mpg, now that air conditioner season has started. Just last week I filled a 61 mpg tank, my last for probably the next six months.  :sad:

I am only a little jealous. :gaah:

• salsaguy likes this

#35 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCleveland, TN
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-max SEL 302A

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:34 AM

It pains me to read this, when I am now running only about 51 mpg, now that air conditioner season has started. Just last week I filled a 61 mpg tank, my last for probably the next six months. :sad:

Yeah, just recently started using the air a little here. It amazes me just how much of a difference it makes. Starting to think I'm better off rolling down the windows.

#36 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

It pains me to read this, when I am now running only about 51 mpg, now that air conditioner season has started. Just last week I filled a 61 mpg tank, my last for probably the next six months.  :sad:

SDM....woah, you're an 800-MaxerMiler, congratz on the real world 61MPG tank... :happy feet: ..yeah mate ;)

Now before I get accused of being competitive...(insert that fake  :secret:   "lol" here)....last Sat, I clocked 285 miles with 38.3MPGs coming back from Vegas...lets talk pain  :doh:  Mind you, it was a 30+mph head wind all the way and climbing mountains (with no grill covers- thank you very much :drop: )

Gentlemen, it is what it is....enjoy the CMax Lemon :salute:  K.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax, 29 April 2014 - 01:50 AM.

• salsaguy likes this

#37 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,409 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

It pains me to read this, when I am now running only about 51 mpg, now that air conditioner season has started. ...

Yeah, just recently started using the air a little here. It amazes me just how much of a difference it makes. ...

... ...last Sat, I clocked 285 miles with 38.3MPGs coming back from Vegas...lets talk pain  :doh:

Will you guys quit complaining about the warm weather! Some of us haven't seen 50mpg in 6 months!!!

Frank, who's finally seeing 50mpg regularly!

#38 OFFLINE   mtcmax

mtcmax

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMontana
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

This car is the best I've ever driven. Yet I am so fearful as two weeks ago I got a message while driving 70 miles per hour that the Advance Trac needed service.. Dealer could not get it in for 4 days. Now they tell me after clearing multiple codes, that a module has not come in so far five days counting. And today that maybe they'll have to take the part out of another car on the lot and put it in mine. They have now had my car 15 days. 

#39 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:22 AM

Will you guys quit complaining about the warm weather! Some of us haven't seen 50mpg in 6 months!!!

Frank, who's finally seeing 50mpg regularly!

Your day will come Frank....I am seeing better & better MPGs due to the warmer weather. My lemon is lemming along....

This car is the best I've ever driven. Yet I am so fearful as two weeks ago I got a message while driving 70 miles per hour that the Advance Trac needed service.. Dealer could not get it in for 4 days. Now they tell me after clearing multiple codes, that a module has not come in so far five days counting. And today that maybe they'll have to take the part out of another car on the lot and put it in mine. They have now had my car 15 days. 

Hope you got a loaner, that s*cks. Mine is trouble free and mine was a relatively early build - Oct2012. If you still have issues, may I suggest contact the official Ford Rep here and they can try and push things along...

#40 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

What's the diagnostic trouble code?   It sounds like a similar message I got.  See this thread.  My message cleared on restart and has been fine since.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·