MY CMAX is a lemon

I'm sorry that you have had all of the issues that you mentioned. It sounds to me that a lot of your frustration stems mostly from your local dealers approach to resolving the issue for you. The 2013 year model is a first year model and most will tell you to be wary of a first year model because in reality the public is the final Beta test run. Unlike a computer program where software companies have sometimes thousands of beta testers to work 99% of the bugs out of a program before it goes public, car manufacturers really have only the development team to test and test. As the Cmax (and all cars) are software driven these days this is the real hurdle to overcome. Just look at all of the recalls for the 2013 Escape & Fusion while there not being any for the 2014 models.

I bought my Cmax in November after all of these issues had been resolved, with software updates. I love my Cmax, there is a break in period and temperature has a large effect on performance. I have almost 10k miles on mine and the weather has warmed up to the 60-70s. I'm consistently getting 55-59 mpg on my 31 mile commute home now and coming home last night from dinner I was in the mid 60s. I don't drive extremely slow either, I probably average, and I'm guessing here, about 50-52 mph. This will be my first tank over 50 mpg :D That being said what most people do not ever take into consideration is the fact that the EPA ratings for highway mileage are based upon the following criteria: 11 miles flat terrain in a controlled environment, no accessories powered up, 100% gasoline, and at a constant speed of 48.3 mph. In reality the EPA should have city / highway / interstate

Again I'm sorry for the troubles you've had but I'm sure Ford will make it right. I recommend you try a different dealer. Trust me, if another dealer finds out the trouble you've had with your dealer, they will go above and beyond to earn your business. I really hope you stick it out and end up loving your Cmax as most of us here.

Edited by John Sparks

There have been far too many lemons of this model. Every day I drive MY C-Max I am THANKFUL it has shown NO signs of being a lemon. Because it is a BITCHIN car and I am glad I can drive it without problem every day. 

I can't wait to see the Satisfaction scores for this car, because I think despite how many problems it has for so many, I think for the vast majority it will prove to be a vehicle that people absolutely love. With typical products, the problems motivate perception more than the features / benefits. But I think with exceptional products, it is the benefits that outweigh the problems. And I think the C-Max is one of those products. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Sorry to hear your C Max is being anything but Max.  I purchased mine late April 2013 and really enjoy the vehicle.  It drives well, gets average of 45 MPG and is very comfortable.  Other than a few recalls and a dead battery. The battery went dead due to some systems not going to sleep when I turned to the off.  I called Ford Roadside Assistance and they sent a truck and jumped it.  It started up immediately and I have not had that happen since.  The other issues have come from the Sync.  It is just weird at times.  Maybe I need to have the dealership reprogram the system.  I take it to Palm Bay Ford and find them very attentive to their customers. I drive 7.5 miles from my home to where I meet my van pool, usually 6 miles is battery and regen from the brakes.  The highest I have seen on the gauge cluster is 52.3 mpg.   Ford should take back your car and give you another as with the problems you have had I would say it is a Lemon!

Edited by C-Max Smith

Hi all,

As I said before ,I been having my car for over a year it is a SE , with 18,000 miles and I have to say no problems at all. You will bring in this car to get service more often than others because of its technology , as for the above who looking for a lemon law, the car has 36, 000 miles on it, that's a lot of wear and tear on a car that's only a yr old. I do not see that happening , understand they did have problems, but from what I read it was not the same problem each time. Sounds like to me they got a bum dealership working on their car, if that was me I would have called Ford right at the beginning or went to a differrent Ford dealership.I do not get 47, to be honest but what I get I am very happy 44 in city and 42 on interstate. My truck was 18 on interstate and 12 in city. Again I wish the above poster all the best.. Brought my car in Feb 13 and del date was Jan 13. But for you to say to the forum not to buy a CMax is not right, yes you have your opinion, but as a CMax owner I do too. Thanks.....

I would like to know just what speed you are traveling at on the interstate to mpg on the interstate. I am getting 45 mpg in city. However I get 38 mpg on the interstate at 72 - 74 mph.

Thanks

Higher highway speeds reduce MPG on all vehicles, but the C-Max does not seem to be an especially aerodynamic car, so I think higher speeds have an even greater effect than they would on a sleeker car.  We try to keep highway speed mostly under 70MPH, and we got about 45 MPG on our recent trip Phoenix to Las Vegas ~600 miles round trip

Aerodynamic drag has two components, drag coefficient, Cd, and cross-sectional area, A. Total Drag is the product; CdA 

The C-Max has a low Cd, roughly 0.3, but compared with comparable Prii, it has a much larger A, and so more drag. Regardless, any real-world vehicle with a Cd of 0.3 is highly aerodynamic.

We sometimes get hung up on specific aspects of a car, like Cd.  If you study aerodynamics a bit, you'll find that very low Cd cars are unstable in cross winds. We've all had a cross wind push us toward an adjascent lane, but the car remained pointed down the road; that's good aero design. With low Cd designs, you're aimed at the guardrail. Be careful what you ask for... 

HAve fun,

Frank

• 1 month later...

I was contemplating buying a c-max but not after reading this thread. I drove a 2009 Honda Fit off the the lot 11/2008 and have never been back except to buy a battery. I can't imagine the cost of making multiple trips to a Ford dealer to have the problems  noted above fixed when the warranty expires. I'm out. Good luck to C-Max owners

I was contemplating buying a c-max but not after reading this thread. I drove a 2009 Honda Fit off the the lot 11/2008 and have never been back except to buy a battery. I can't imagine the cost of making multiple trips to a Ford dealer to have the problems  noted above fixed when the warranty expires. I'm out. Good luck to C-Max owners

Thats probably a good call for you - not being funny or nothing, and best of luck in your search. Hang around any car forum and everyone has something bad to say about it. Eventually.

Like any other car, theres always a lemons. I laid down top dollar on a 2004 Jaguar XJ back then (and I could have bought 2 1/2 CMaxs with that money) and that was a true lemon with more time in shop than actual driving - electrics, shocks and that was from a LUXURY car manufacturer. I never once complained because Galpin really, really took care of us but no matter what they did, the car would do this or that & back to the shop.

Speaking of lemons, my lemon :flirt: Maxine just did 80MPG to work and finished the day at 61.5MPG. What a lemon indeed...better make some lemonade while I can ... Cheers everyone.... :drool:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

It pains me to read this, when I am now running only about 51 mpg, now that air conditioner season has started. Just last week I filled a 61 mpg tank, my last for probably the next six months. :sad:

I am only a little jealous. :gaah:

Yeah, just recently started using the air a little here. It amazes me just how much of a difference it makes. Starting to think I'm better off rolling down the windows.

It pains me to read this, when I am now running only about 51 mpg, now that air conditioner season has started. Just last week I filled a 61 mpg tank, my last for probably the next six months.  :sad:

I am only a little jealous. :gaah:

SDM....woah, you're an 800-MaxerMiler, congratz on the real world 61MPG tank... :happy feet: ..yeah mate ;)

Now before I get accused of being competitive...(insert that fake  :secret:   "lol" here)....last Sat, I clocked 285 miles with 38.3MPGs coming back from Vegas...lets talk pain  :doh:  Mind you, it was a 30+mph head wind all the way and climbing mountains (with no grill covers- thank you very much :drop: )

Gentlemen, it is what it is....enjoy the CMax Lemon :salute:  K.

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

It pains me to read this, when I am now running only about 51 mpg, now that air conditioner season has started. ...

Yeah, just recently started using the air a little here. It amazes me just how much of a difference it makes. ...

... ...last Sat, I clocked 285 miles with 38.3MPGs coming back from Vegas...lets talk pain  :doh:

Will you guys quit complaining about the warm weather! Some of us haven't seen 50mpg in 6 months!!!

Frank, who's finally seeing 50mpg regularly!

This car is the best I've ever driven. Yet I am so fearful as two weeks ago I got a message while driving 70 miles per hour that the Advance Trac needed service.. Dealer could not get it in for 4 days. Now they tell me after clearing multiple codes, that a module has not come in so far five days counting. And today that maybe they'll have to take the part out of another car on the lot and put it in mine. They have now had my car 15 days. 

Will you guys quit complaining about the warm weather! Some of us haven't seen 50mpg in 6 months!!!

Frank, who's finally seeing 50mpg regularly!

Your day will come Frank....I am seeing better & better MPGs due to the warmer weather. My lemon is lemming along....

This car is the best I've ever driven. Yet I am so fearful as two weeks ago I got a message while driving 70 miles per hour that the Advance Trac needed service.. Dealer could not get it in for 4 days. Now they tell me after clearing multiple codes, that a module has not come in so far five days counting. And today that maybe they'll have to take the part out of another car on the lot and put it in mine. They have now had my car 15 days. 

Hope you got a loaner, that s*cks. Mine is trouble free and mine was a relatively early build - Oct2012. If you still have issues, may I suggest contact the official Ford Rep here and they can try and push things along...

What's the diagnostic trouble code?   It sounds like a similar message I got.  See this thread.  My message cleared on restart and has been fine since.

OUCH on your Honda Fit.

Have you had any of the recalls completed?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1055601_honda-recalls-2009--2010-fit-over-693000-units-affected

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2009/honda/fit/recalls/

Did Honda ever get them to stop catching on fire?

My nephew has one, it’s been recalled twice for the window fire starter (it's killed some people).

mtcmax,

I replied to one of your posts on another thread!

Ashley

• 1 month later...

Wendelina,

I love how most people just ignored your post and used the opportunity to brag about their mileage and the fact that they have trouble free, or relatively so, cars.  I have a lemon too.  My C-Max is a POS.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the car.  I wish I didn't have to take it in to the dealer every other month.  My service issues make yours look tame.  Canister purge valves replaced multiple times, broken plastic bits, stop now check engine light, the lower carriage engine cover coming off on the road, and my all time favorite - the total meltdown of the main power box causing me to lose power while on the road and roll to a stop.  The whole central power box literally melted.  I had only had my car three months and probably had it in my possession only half that time.  It's now a year and a half and 28,000 miles later.  The fun hasn't ended yet.  In fact, my lemon is back in the shop now getting a recall fixed and having the front end looked at to figure out what the thumping noise is.  When I get my official service record back from my Service Rep (who is LITERALLY on my speed dial), I'll post every date and problem I've had with this piece of junk in another post.  My dealer has been great about fixing it and has handled my crying and screaming fits very professionally. :) Ford decided to give me a year's worth of oil changes for my trouble.  Like that means a lot when I spend so much time worrying about my car shutting off and killing me while I'm on the highway.  

So here is some advice from a fellow C-Max lemon owner, perhaps what you were looking for in your original post:  They pretty much agree it's a lemon, although the official line is "yes, it's been in for service more than most cars".  The service manager has recommended trading it in rather than pursuing the Lemon Law.  In Texas, that could take a year and the car depreciates over that time.  You're only offered what the car is worth at the time they buy it back.  If you trade it in, it's still under warranty and you will get the value it's worth now.  It sucks.  For me, that means I've lost $15k on it and can't afford to get a car nearly as nice as this one.  I actually bought the extended warranty when I purchased the car because it's a hybrid and a drive a lot.  If you go with the Lemon Law, you're looking at a great deal of time to resolve, and you're going to get a low value for it anyway.  You know, if they just swapped my car out for a C-Max that works, I would be happy and move on with my life.  It only seems fair.  Take my piece of junk and give me one that works!  Seriously, an even exchange for the same model!  It's a great car, it really is.  I just feel like this one is a rolling deathtrap!  

I'm currently shopping for replacements.  Honestly, if I buy a used car for what I can get for the C-Max that is reliable, I'm probably still ahead.  Oh, and I currently get around 39mpg.  Yet another nuisance.  Sure, some people get great mileage.  They also have cars that aren't lemons!  I drive my car in the most frugal manner possible and I still don't get the "revised" advertised mileage.  

I'm also curious as to why the official Ford service rep on the boards, Ashley, hasn't responded to you!  I mean, she's responded to other people within this post, but not you?  My, that's helpful.

Best of luck.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Colleen 

Wendelina,

I love how most people just ignored your post and used the opportunity to brag about their mileage and the fact that they have trouble free, or relatively so, cars.  I have a lemon too.  My C-Max is a POS.  Don't get me wrong.  I love the car.  I wish I didn't have to take it in to the dealer every other month.  My service issues make yours look tame.  Canister purge valves replaced multiple times, broken plastic bits, stop now check engine light, the lower carriage engine cover coming off on the road, and my all time favorite - the total meltdown of the main power box causing me to lose power while on the road and roll to a stop.  The whole central power box literally melted.  I had only had my car three months and probably had it in my possession only half that time.  It's now a year and a half and 28,000 miles later.  The fun hasn't ended yet.  In fact, my lemon is back in the shop now getting a recall fixed and having the front end looked at to figure out what the thumping noise is.  When I get my official service record back from my Service Rep (who is LITERALLY on my speed dial), I'll post every date and problem I've had with this piece of junk in another post.  My dealer has been great about fixing it and has handled my crying and screaming fits very professionally. :) Ford decided to give me a year's worth of oil changes for my trouble.  Like that means a lot when I spend so much time worrying about my car shutting off and killing me while I'm on the highway.  

So here is some advice from a fellow C-Max lemon owner, perhaps what you were looking for in your original post:  They pretty much agree it's a lemon, although the official line is "yes, it's been in for service more than most cars".  The service manager has recommended trading it in rather than pursuing the Lemon Law.  In Texas, that could take a year and the car depreciates over that time.  You're only offered what the car is worth at the time they buy it back.  If you trade it in, it's still under warranty and you will get the value it's worth now.  It sucks.  For me, that means I've lost $15k on it and can't afford to get a car nearly as nice as this one.  I actually bought the extended warranty when I purchased the car because it's a hybrid and a drive a lot.  If you go with the Lemon Law, you're looking at a great deal of time to resolve, and you're going to get a low value for it anyway.  You know, if they just swapped my car out for a C-Max that works, I would be happy and move on with my life.  It only seems fair.  Take my piece of junk and give me one that works!  Seriously, an even exchange for the same model!  It's a great car, it really is.  I just feel like this one is a rolling deathtrap!  

I'm currently shopping for replacements.  Honestly, if I buy a used car for what I can get for the C-Max that is reliable, I'm probably still ahead.  Oh, and I currently get around 39mpg.  Yet another nuisance.  Sure, some people get great mileage.  They also have cars that aren't lemons!  I drive my car in the most frugal manner possible and I still don't get the "revised" advertised mileage.  

I'm also curious as to why the official Ford service rep on the boards, Ashley, hasn't responded to you!  I mean, she's responded to other people within this post, but not you?  My, that's helpful.

Colleen 

Colleen -

Sorry you are having so many troubles with your vehicle and that your state's lemon law is so weak.

What is the main/central power box?  I don't recall seeing that term before on this forum.

Edited by DaveofDurham

... I'm currently shopping for replacements.  Honestly, if I buy a used car for what I can get for the C-Max that is reliable, I'm probably still ahead.  Oh, and I currently get around 39mpg.  Yet another nuisance.  Sure, some people get great mileage.  They also have cars that aren't lemons!  I drive my car in the most frugal manner possible and I still don't get the "revised" advertised mileage.  

Colleen 

Colleen,

I'm happy to lend a hand and assist you if you're interested. Just send me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info, and I'll look into it. 

FYI - the reason I'm not assisting the OP is because she said she already had a buyback case with Ford, in which case there is nothing additional I can do.

Ashley

Colleen -

Sorry you are having so many troubles with your vehicle and that your state's lemon law is so weak.

What is the main/central power box?  I don't recall seeing that term before on this forum.

Hi Dave,

I'm not sure what the exact name is for the part.  It's the main power supply that controls everything electric in the car - including power steering (which went out first), braking, door locks, sync...everything.  The reason I was given was that there were bolts loose from the plant that touched wiring that melted and caused a short and the meltdown.  It's really frightening to have your car die on you while you're driving it.  I am very fortunate I didn't get hurt in that incident.

Colleen

I wouldn't accept the OP as evidence of anything. The person that made the post has never returned to the forum, and several aspects of it are "odd", such as coming up on the 36,000 miles warranty (after one+ year?) and having activated the Lemon Law, but still worrying about breaking things.

I would discount the OP as an example of C-Max issues, and concentrate on those series of posts by an individual that supply information on the problem and the resolution.

OK. An update on my 'service hell'. Car ended up being in the shop 49 days. They ended up putting a part from another car into mine to get it back to me. Airbag module. Focus loaner and since I had premium coverage dealer said no daily charge, just had to pay for the gas. Dealer still has to update sync as it was still not updated and the global windows still not turned off. Asked for oil change, synthetic and tire rotation- no charge.  This car is so much fun to drive. I kissed it when I got it back.  As soon as I got it back I kept promises made for rides to a couple of elders. One almost 90 and another almost 97. Priceless. One got out at the end of the ride and said 'now that was an experience.'  The other would ask if we were in electric or engine.  Could not believe how smooth it was going from one to the other.

I purchased my C-Max SE in December 2012, it is a 13 model. I had my first battery issue in late Feb or early March of 13. not even 800 miles later the same issue, reprogrammed the computer no issues for 1 year, then between April 13 and May 11 2014 it was towed 3 times for the same issue, no starting. 3 batteries have had to be replaced because of collapsed cells (these are the 12 volt). and now they say there is a ground issue - not found... but until the car dies again there is nothing they can do to find it... I have an attorney requesting buy back from Ford - was told NO.. but was offered 3500. I refused and countered with 10,000 and they countered with 8,000... now since they have over doubled their offer I am wondering why. why should I have to BEG to get them to take this car back, I have all my paperwork showing all the issues, the dealership has been on the phone with Ford tech's trying to figure it out, this last time they even took the front doors off trying to find the short... when there is an issue with the electrical system there should be NO question that car should be taken back. I would even accept a replacement - but not a 13 model year. now seeing that some people have been successful with them purchasing a car back, I think that I am going to wait it out... not taking a payoff - I cannot even let the bank repo it because I paid for it in full...