Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Recreational Towing (behind a motor home)

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Locationnorth texas
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL 303 with Glass Roof

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:37 PM

Regarding the "tire wobble" issue. Seems like it is more prevalent with Blu Ox and not other vendors products? I just purchased a new CMax and looking at Blue Ox products. Are there any RVers experiencing tire wobble and not using Blue Ox products?

We have a Blue Ox base plate but use a Roadmaster tow bar with adapters to the Blue Ox.

Something else to consider, diesel versus gas, our motor home is a gasser Ford F53 chassis which means it's long way from the hitch to the rear axle.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#202 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 101 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCuba, NY
  • Current Vehicle:F150,Mustang, Escape

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

Saw someone from TX towing a CMax thru western NY on I-86 last week around the Olean, NY exits.

We were out cleaning the Hiway for Earth Day. Saw you go by if it was anyone on here. 

#203 OFFLINE   kcwood

kcwood

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationchicago
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Thx WAB! So are u saying that a long distance from axle to hitch on F 53 is better?

#204 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Locationnorth texas

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:18 PM

Thx WAB! So are u saying that a long distance from axle to hitch on F 53 is better?

No

IT MIGHT be why we have not had any problems.

I'm going to start another thread about this.

Maybe we can get our engineer members to post their thoughts about why some people are reporting a serious problem while towing their cmax and other members report no towing problems.

#205 OFFLINE   Craig

Craig

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationWest virginia
  • Current Vehicle:C max hybrid

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:39 PM

To answer the question about the brake system. It's the air force one system, which runs a air line from the motorhome to the CMax which has a cylinder
Attached to the brake peddle, which pushes the brake pedal. It's hard to fine a place to run the cable , but we had to run it threw the right side firewall.
The hardest part of the installing the brake system. Sorry no photos , no way to get the camera in there.
I pulled the car in neutral with engine off on way home from Florida, I did start the car ( so the power steering would be on) while making tight turns in
Parking lots. So far the new tires are ok. On rough two lane roads I going to unhook the car and drive it to make sure

#206 OFFLINE   hilgert

hilgert

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationDFW
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL

Posted 20 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

First post on this forum...which I've used extensively (thanks for those that came before me...was very useful in the decisions I made with regard to towing setup).

We recently purchased a new Class C motorhome...we wanted to be able to go into some of the smaller parks and national forest sites, so a 30-foot Class C was closer to our needs at this time.  Forest River Sunseeker 2800QSF, Ford E450 chassis, with 7500lb tow capacity.  As we wanted a tow vehicle on the lighter side, within a few days of the RV purchase we purchased a used 2013 C-MAX SEL (all the options including push-button start) from CarMax with a bit over 31K miles.  Another reason for the C-MAX is that the normal non-RV use of the vehicle would be as a commuting car for my wife...so daily mpg was important.

I installed a BlueOx tow plate and the ReadyBrute Elite tow bar.  I'm an engineer, and the operational principle for the braking aspect of the the ReadyBrute Elite sold me...nothing to break or go wrong with electronic brake systems...it's quite simply idiot proof.  I also installed a charge line from the RV to keep the battery charged while towing, had an alignment done with the most positive camber I could get (close to +5°) to help with centering, and installed the BlueOx diode kit so I could use the existing brake/turn lights.

We returned yesterday from our first trip with this setup...2500 miles round-trip to Yellowstone.  Setup performed flawlessly...had zero battery issues, no death wobble (I think a proper alignment with as much positive caster helps with this) and no miles accumulated (yay!)  Car towed like it was barely there.  Followed the normal accessory mode procedure, and left car unlocked most of the time for convenience (but used the manual lock when we ate lunch, etc.).  At times I caught the wife driving the rig at speeds in excess of 75mph!!!

We are very pleased with this setup...glad we decided on the C-MAX for our towed vehicle.

Edited by hilgert, 20 June 2016 - 04:08 PM.

• markd likes this

#207 OFFLINE   wab

wab

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 927 posts
  • Locationnorth texas

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:51 PM

No

IT MIGHT be why we have not had any problems.

I'm going to start another thread about this.
Maybe we can get our engineer members to post their thoughts about why some people are reporting a serious problem while towing their cmax and other members report no towing problems.

I finally started a "Death Wobble" thread.
http://fordcmaxhybri...6-death-wobble/

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·