Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Rear Bumper Scuff Protection

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CNCGeek

CNCGeek

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:C-max hybrid

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

I finally installed the bumper protector, well worth the $40 if it keeps my dog from scratching up the bumper.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Jus-A-CMax

Jus-A-CMax

Brother Jus

• Moderators
  • 3,246 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Fernando, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:SEL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

I want to get one for my Max but having a hard time deciding whether to get the clear Ford one or like the one above. I think I am waiting to see if the clear one is as protective. In the meantime, I am super careful about not putting anything on the bumper (thanks for the hands free kick open Ford!)

#23 OFFLINE   SBGrad

SBGrad

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 92 posts
  • Locationon the beach
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

I used the stock tape and the unit is held in well, it's not going anywhere. The plastic piece is quite rigid and once it's down and rolled it not coming up! I wouldn't bother with any extra tape.

Yah, the aftermarket scuff guard has MORE than enough stick-- be careful applying it because it grabs HARD as soon as the tape touches the bumper.

#24 OFFLINE   CNCGeek

CNCGeek

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 309 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:C-max hybrid

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yah, the aftermarket scuff guard has MORE than enough stick-- be careful applying it because it grabs HARD as soon as the tape touches the bumper.

I agree.  I had some 3M double sided tape I could have used, but it was not needed.  They even set up the tape with tabs that stick out so you can place it down on the bumper and get the position perfect, then tape part of it down in position and peel the tape while it is in position so you don't need to mess around with peeling the tape and then placing.

#25 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL 303A Hybrid

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for the info.  Looks like there are only these few options right now.  I have a roll of the clear 3M vinyl, exact same material the Ford clear protector is made out of.  Got it off ebay for about 20 bucks, but of course I would have to cut it to fit and it doesn't have the C-Max logo and striping on it.  Not sure it would stand up to my dogs sharp claws.  Judging from other bumpers that they have cut into, I don't think vinyl will stand a chance in the long run. 

I like the looks of the black plastic one, but wish it was bigger and slightly rolled over the rear lip of the bumper.  That is where the majority of the scratches come from while they claw there way into the back.  I think I'll wait and see what comes out on the market, and just use a towel for now.  

Edited by Hatchman, 09 March 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 1,408 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:SEL, 303A, Panoramic Roof

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

If the black protector is anything like the one I installed on my 2004 Nissan Murano, it will work really well, and it will continue to look good.  I have never had issues with the tape or otherwise.

The Ford C-MAX protector looks like a piece of clear vinyl.   Other than the cool logo on it, is that all it is to it?  If so, I can't imagine it holding up very well over time. 

#27 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

We had the black protector plastic on our last car as well, a Lexus RX300.  It held up pretty well, but the dogs could still scratch it, so I don't the vinyl tape will stand a chance.  Those claws are like razors, even though I try to keep the trimmed back. 

#28 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 970 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

I agree with you Hatchman, like the looks of the black aftermarket one, but wish it was wider.  Would love it if it had a crease and 'folded' down perhaps 3/4" or so on the small sloped upper section of the bumper - probably wishful thinking.  Let us know if you find one with that custom lip.  Nick 

What do you think of the Aeroskin hood protectors ($41)?

Edited by C-MaxSeattle, 10 March 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:56 AM

I like that front lip protector, I think it will save the front lip a bit of rock chips.  

Edited by Hatchman, 14 March 2013 - 03:26 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   Jbtbga

Jbtbga

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 58 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationGA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax SEL

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Do I understand correctly that the Ford version covers the trailing edge corner?

#31 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

Do I understand correctly that the Ford version covers the trailing edge corner?

Yes it does.  

Edited by Hatchman, 14 March 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#32 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:31 AM

Negative, the Ford version is clear vinyl and only covers part of the top.  So far nothing on the market covers the trailing edge corner.  

My OEM clear bumper protector wraps down to the surface of the bumper that is perpendicular to the ground (maybe 3/4" below the top surface).  So, I'd say it covers the trailing edge corner. :)

Also, it extends forward across the top of the bumper to about 1/4" of the perpendicular surface of the metal below the hatchback opening. A quick measurement shows the size to be about 6" X 37" and it clearly covers significantly more of the bumper than the pic of the black vinyl protective strip shown in the first post. The OEM protector appears to be a few mils thicker than the clear-bra film I have on the front end.

#33 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 970 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:49 AM

Crazy thought 99 - place the black aftermarket one over the OEM one to get full coverage and the thicker black.  Just a thought.  Nick

Edited by C-MaxSeattle, 14 March 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

My OEM clear bumper protector wraps down to the surface of the bumper that is perpendicular to the ground (maybe 3/4" below the top surface).  So, I'd say it covers the trailing edge corner. :)

:)  The one I saw installed at the dealership did not, so maybe they put it on wrong.  It also did not appear to be 6" wide, so maybe they come in different sizes.  But the one they had did not go over the lip.   I guess if you install it yourself, you can put it on any way you like.  :)

#35 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Mine was installed as part of the exterior protection option package (mudflaps and rear bumper protector) and is the standard OEM product.  It measures about 6" which will clearly cover the trailing edge.  I seriously doubt the dealer would trim it to a smaller size.

#36 OFFLINE   zhackwyatt

zhackwyatt

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 829 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • Current Vehicle:'13 C-Max Sel 303A

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

I don't know if you can tell anything from this picture, but here it is: http://accessories.f...over-10340.html

• Mamalou16201 likes this

#37 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

I don't know if you can tell anything from this picture, but here it is: http://accessories.f...over-10340.html

If you look at the accessories pic you can see 4 surfaces: the top of the bumper cover, two angled surfaces from the top of the bumper cover to the vertical surface of the bumper cover.  The C-MAX logo-ed protector starts on the top forward surface that is hidden by the tail gate (surface not visible in the pic because the tail gate is closed) and ends virtually at the junction of the lower of the bottom angled surface and the vertical surface of the bumper cover (about 6" total). 

#38 OFFLINE   Hatchman

Hatchman

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

Mine was installed as part of the exterior protection option package (mudflaps and rear bumper protector) and is the standard OEM product.  It measures about 6" which will clearly cover the trailing edge.  I seriously doubt the dealer would trim it to a smaller size.

OK, well, I didn't realize vinyl was so impossible to trim. :) I got a roll in the garage that I can trim to whatever size I want.  Maybe they got a bunch of fingerprints on the trialing edge, maybe they got some dirt on it, maybe they didn't want to waste it.   I would go back and take pictures and find out why they trimmed it, but I really don't care.

We got it, the Ford vinyl piece is 6" wide and wide enough to go over the lip.  You win.  Oh, that and vinyl is impossible to trim and seriously doubtful a dealer would attempt it.  :)  :rockon:

Edited by Hatchman, 14 March 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

It's not about winning. It's getting what one pays for. It's to let buyer's know that if they want the trailing edge covered and the OEM appliqué has been trimmed, then don't accept shoddy workmanship or excuses from the dealer. Make them install another one correctly.

#40 OFFLINE   Jbtbga

Jbtbga

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 58 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationGA
  • Current Vehicle:Cmax SEL

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thanks 3plus, hatch an, et.at. Will head to the dealership in the AM to order my bumper scratch guard

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·