2013 vs 2015 Fuel Economy

CMax-Traveler

Hey everyone, I have an interesting anecdotal report here on the difference between the 2013 and the 2015.

I frequently drive from Boston up to the White Mountains to go hiking.  I also recently traded up from a 2013 C-Max to a 2015 C-Max.  I did so this past weekend, with some interesting results.  The trip, overall, was about 290 miles, and involved 80-90% highway driving, mainly at speeds of 60-70.  I made this exact same trip several times last year in my 2013.

In the 2013 C-Max, I never got better than 44mpg on the round trip, and was usually in the 42.5-43mpg range.

In the 2015 C-Max, the trip this weekend ended at 50mpg for the trip (I made a similar trip earlier this year which resulted in 46.5mpg, but that was with only 400 miles on the car - I now have 2700 miles).

Needless to say, I'm quite impressed with the changes made between the 2013 and the 2015.  Every tank since I got the car has been a 600+ mile tank and I haven't drained it empty (except the first tank; the car wasn't topped off at the dealer).

Just thought I'd share!

Great mileage and a nice comparison!  We know there were some changes made to 2014s to improve mileage - can't recall hearing about any specific 2015 changes.  Some questions for curiosity sake:

1. Did the 2013 ever have the "mileage upgrade" performed (came out in Aug 2013)?
  2. Are the numbers from the dash readouts or figured from pump gallons?
  3. Any A/C use?

My son and I hiked Mt Washington some years back - stayed overnight at Lakes of the Clouds Hut.  What an incredible experience!  Would love to do it again but its hard to juggle work schedules, reservations and, oh yes, the weather!

Hey everyone, I have an interesting anecdotal report here on the difference between the 2013 and the 2015.

Needless to say, I'm quite impressed with the changes made between the 2013 and the 2015.  Every tank since I got the car has been a 600+ mile tank and I haven't drained it empty (except the first tank; the car wasn't topped off at the dealer).

Do you track your gas tanks with Fuelly? I'd be curious to see if you see this improvement over 6+ months. I've found that one trip doesn't mean much because wind & other conditions can have such an impact. For example, a few weeks ago we did a highway trip in our Energi and got better than 50 MPG because there was no wind. This past weekend we did a similar trip and struggled to get 45 MPG because we were fighting a crosswind. On a recent 1000 mile road trip to visit family we used about 4 gallons less than previous trips because we had the wind behind us both northbound & southbound, usually we have crosswinds on this trip. Perhaps your recent results in the 2015 are just due to wind & not to any changes with the car.

1. Did the 2013 ever have the "mileage upgrade" performed (came out in Aug 2013)?
  2. Are the numbers from the dash readouts or figured from pump gallons?
  3. Any A/C use?

1) Yes, the 2013 had the "mileage upgrade"

2) The numbers are from the dash readouts, but the two fill-ups which make sense the dash was 2.5mpg higher than the pump.

3) I used the A/C on the return trip, which was pretty consistent with last year's trip.

Do you track your gas tanks with Fuelly? I'd be curious to see if you see this improvement over 6+ months. I've found that one trip doesn't mean much because wind & other conditions can have such an impact. For example, a few weeks ago we did a highway trip in our Energi and got better than 50 MPG because there was no wind. This past weekend we did a similar trip and struggled to get 45 MPG because we were fighting a crosswind. On a recent 1000 mile road trip to visit family we used about 4 gallons less than previous trips because we had the wind behind us both northbound & southbound, usually we have crosswinds on this trip. Perhaps your recent results in the 2015 are just due to wind & not to any changes with the car.

Here's my fuelly.  I gave up on tracking the 2013 last August.  http://www.fuelly.com/driver/cmaxtraveler

It's possible this trip was a fluke, but there wasn't much wind.  With as many times as I made similar trips in the 2013 year you'd think conditions would've been similar on at least one of them and I never achieved higher than 45mpg highway.  Note the highway driving was entirely on eco cruise.  But good point, little things make big differences when you're this high in the MPG range.

If I remember correctly there were some changes made to the tranmission drive ratios in 2014 that were intended to improve mileage. This may account for some of the improvement. I've also experienced a steady increase in MPG in my 2013 over time. My lifetime has climbed to 41 MPG and this summer I'm averaging just under 50 MPG (use the Automatic OBD gizmo to track all trips). This last year overall average is about 43 MPG. I attribute the increase to my driving style improving. The pulse and glide becomes sub conscious and I think makes a big difference. Interestingly enough my driving has become more aggresive - not just hugging the right lane.

Edited by nsteblay