Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Leak

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jchaddpete

jchaddpete

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:43 PM

A few weeks ago, when I took my 2013 C-Max in for an oil change, the technician discovered a very slow transmission leak--apparently from a seal somewhere in the unit.  It wasn't so bad that fluid needed adding, but it did need to be repaired under the warranty.

Although I needed the vehicle for a few more weeks, I did take it in for the repair.  It was a big deal that took several days and involved removing the entire engine/drive train.  I had thought that it would be a more simple repair job involving a gasket replacement.

Anyway, it might be a good idea for C-Max owners to have the dealership check for any such transmission leaks before they become a serious problem.

Has anyone else been affected by this issue or was this a unique situation?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,263 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 14 July 2015 - 01:27 PM

A few weeks ago, when I took my 2013 C-Max in for an oil change, the technician discovered a very slow transmission leak--apparently from a seal somewhere in the unit.  It wasn't so bad that fluid needed adding, but it did need to be repaired under the warranty.

Although I needed the vehicle for a few more weeks, I did take it in for the repair.  It was a big deal that took several days and involved removing the entire engine/drive train.  I had thought that it would be a more simple repair job involving a gasket replacement.

Anyway, it might be a good idea for C-Max owners to have the dealership check for any such transmission leaks before they become a serious problem.

I had mine replaced and it wasn't leaking.  BTW the only way you would know it was leaking is when ICE lower cover is off. :)

Paul

#3 OFFLINE   Tomasz Karwowski

Tomasz Karwowski

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 63 posts
  • Region:European Union
  • LocationPoland
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid SE

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:22 PM

How often should I Change automatic transmission fluid ?? Every 160 000 miles ?? Now I have 15 000Miles. 

#4 OFFLINE   cheezy

cheezy

C-Max Hybrid Member

• Inactive
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMW
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 14 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

How many miles did you have on it and what was your cars production date? 

#5 OFFLINE   jchaddpete

jchaddpete

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

Have about 15,000 miles, and production date was around February 2013.  Technician stated that the seal leakage was in an area where the silicone seal had defective porosity--or something like that.  Anyway, it's fine now, even though it took about five days to fix the leak--practically removing everything in the engine compartment--including the radiator, engine/drive train, and most everything else.  The technician said that fixing the leak took very little time, but getting to the area that needed the repair took a couple of days, and putting everything back together took the same amount of time.   I'm sure that Ford wouldn't want too many more warranty repair jobs like this one.  Perhaps they should have put more thought in a design that wouldn't have involved so much time and cost to them to simply fix a transmission leak.

#6 OFFLINE   soulbluprint

soulbluprint

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL Hybrid

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:46 PM

A very similar thing happened to me. Took my 2013 C-Max SEL to the dealership for an oil change, and they told me the axel seal/transmission is leaking (7 on a scale of 1-10). Seriously? My car is only 3 years old -- this should not be happening already. If anyone is wondering, yes, it is covered by Ford's powertrain warranty. 

Finally got the appointment at a Ford Dealership, and they figured all they would need is a part... They gave me a rental car and told me it would be 1-2 days, tops.  Called me the next day -- nope, need to pull the whole transmission out to get to it. What?? Um, okay.  Call me a couple days later to let me know that since it is a hybrid transmission, that they deem it "untouchable" and ordered a brand new transmission... For FREE.  Thank god for the warranty! Now, I wait. So far, it's been a week since all of this began.

The new transmission is quite a relief, because I was planning on taking the car in next weekend to get the transmission checked out anyway. Ever since I bought the car (bought it used in Oct '15, with 35k miles), let me just say -- it is the *loudest* car I have ever owned. Does anyone else have that issue? Highway seems okay, but slower speeds and idling, it just whines like crazy. I can't seem to find anyone else online talking about this. Any time I've ever had passengers in my car, that's the first thing they notice ("Wow, this thing is loud. You sure it's a hybrid?")  The only thing I can compare it to is an adult-sized RC car! Hopefully, getting the new transmission will help with that, because it's incredibly embarrassing to be driving around a "hybrid" that makes more noise than most cars. 

#7 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 180 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

There is a service bulletin TSB 15-0174 on this problem that another member posted, please check out the Forum for TSBs and Recalls..  Says "certain hybrids built before 12/1/2013" experience an RTV sealant failure

..so it should be a "known" issue with some build dates although when I talked to my service manager he said he hadn't heard anything about it.  I've never received a notice from Ford the same way I have for the other issues.  Apparently they identified the problem with yours and are fixing it for free, good news!

The last time I took my C-MAX in they were so busy doing 3-4 other "known" recalls (airbag parts finally in, battery check, second emissions, etc.) , plus an oil change that I didn't press them about this one - it took all day but they had my vehicle back to me the same day so I was still pretty happy.  I am glad that they do issue recalls and cover the work, unlike some manufacturers.

• obob likes this

#8 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 546 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

when it comes to seals.  it always takes longer and cost more   seals are cheap and easy to repalce  but  usually very hard to get to.

I had a rear main seal start leaking on my 94 impala SS.  it was a  20 dollar seal.  butto gain access  I had to drain and drop the trans.  doing the actual seal replacement was  10 minutes tops  but took several hours to get to the seal...

• ptjones likes this

#9 OFFLINE   rjam

rjam

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 192 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationUsa
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:CMAX SEL

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:37 PM

I had the rear main fail at 48k. Bought it used with 28K. Dealer replaced under warranty. Drove it 5K miles. Took it in for oil change and the rear main was leaking again. Traded for 2015 CMAX.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·