Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

No AC when stopped

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Coolzzy

Coolzzy

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationID
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Kia forte

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:33 AM

I'm looking at a 13 SEL with 50k miles on it. The air conditioning does not work when the car is stopped (ICE not running). I thought the AC compressor was turned by an electric motor on these cars so it should still be cooling when the motor is off. I set the temp control to LO, but all I get is hot air. When moving, the air gets ice cold and the productivity screen shows the climate control is active. Even when rolling and the ICE off, the climate control still shows active bit as soon as the vehicle stops, so does the climate control (blower keeps going though). What should I be looking at as the culprit? I drove a 15 and it did not behave this way, was there maybe a software update that resolved this on the early model year cars?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 660 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

As I see it, that is not a feature, that is a problem, something that has gone wrong.  I drive a 13 SE and it never has behaved that way.

#3 OFFLINE   Coolzzy

Coolzzy

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationID

Posted 06 September 2017 - 02:25 PM

Any idea what could cause this behavior? To me it seems like a software issue, but how do you "reset" a hybrid when you cannot easily disconnect the battery? Should the engine fan still be running to draw air through the condenser when the AC is on, or does the electric AC pump function differently? Maybe the cooling fans are not working? The car was low on fuel, 60 miles till empty but I don't think that would make it act this way.

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,485 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

The Fan should be working anytime the A/C is on.  Make sure Fan is running.

Paul

#5 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 234 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:40 AM

It is true that the AC compressor is an electrically driven compressor.  The one thing to note with these cars is that you can manually turn the AC compressor off and on - does the neon green VFD display above the actual climate controls near the bottom of the center stack say "AC ON" or "AC OFF" when you are expecting the cold air?  If you press the AC button which is the furthest button on the left does it improve the situation?  There's a toggle for AC on the touch screen climate controls too.

Other than that maybe something is wrong with the compressor.

The MAX AC button on the knob and the red defrost button quickly put all the controls at maximum for either climate condition, usually you can press the "Auto" button twice to get the climate controls to reset to a thermostatically controlled situation with AC enabled.

Edited by jestevens, 07 September 2017 - 05:44 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Coolzzy

Coolzzy

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationID

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

AC was on as indicated on the panel. It was 90 outside and as soon as the car started moving the air got very cold but when stopped, the climate control icon on the touch screen vehicle status window turns off(that shows if the motor is running and other similiar things). When moving, even with the ICE off, the air works fine, it's just when stopped, like AR a light or with the car in park that it does not work. The blower fan stays running the whole time. I'm going by to look at it again today and will see if the radiator fans are working.
  • ptjones likes this

#7 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,485 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

Sure sounds like it isn't. :sad:  I wonder if the cord got disconnected? Maybe fuse?

Paul

#8 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 234 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:54 AM

I googled around and apparently (at least on other cars) this is a symptom of condenser fan not working..  When the car is moving there is enough airflow for cooling to work, but not when stationary.

• ptjones and obob like this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·