SUV Purchase

Marc Smith

So Its time.  My wifes  2008 Saturn Vue Green Line is nearing the end.  It still has some useful life at 80K miles, but the CEL came on, needs new cats, and it has what I would consider a disturbing  bit of rust on the "frame" under the seat pans.  It looks like it rusting from the inside of the  frame out.  We are the second owners (GM exec car for 5000 miles, according to carfax)

We bought the hybrid solely for the HOV exemption which has since evaporated. So we no longer need her hybrid.  I'm driving one and saving the environment  ;) for the both of us.

She stand a whopping 5' tall and still wants to stay in a SUV doesn't need to be a big one though.  her biggest issue, besides, being short, is the rear sight lines.  Its seems that a thick slanted D pillar is the norm.    She's gonig to go out and sit in some of the SUVs

On the wifes Short list. 

2018 Mazda CX-5

2018 Nissan Rogue

2018 Ford Escape

2018 Hyundai Tucson

2018 Kia Sportage

2017 Subaru Forester

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan

I've asked her to also look at the Toyota Rav4 and Honda Crv as well.

Anyone have any experience with  any of the above models from 2016, 2017 or 2018

We cross shopped some of those last month and the C-Max won over my wife and I. The Escape was nice but had more of a truck-like ride, probably by design. Rear visibility was less than what we're used to. YMMV.

The Mazda CX-5 felt larger than my wife felt comfortable with. The Mazda 3 was a good size, but she felt the rear visibility was "tunneled", and it was low to the ground.

Subaru Foresters may have improved handling now but when we'd have them as loaners they felt awkward compared to our Legacy GT turbo. Most Subaru transmissions are now CVT's, FWIW. If you need AWD, Subaru's full time AWD has always worked well in heavy rain and snow.

EDIT: One cost of owning Subaru's long term is the flat-four engines have two cylinder heads - twice as many sensors, seals, and so on. 

Edited by jmcgliss

So Its time.  My wifes  2008 Saturn Vue Green Line is nearing the end.  It still has some useful life at 80K miles, but the CEL came on, needs new cats, and it has what I would consider a disturbing  bit of rust on the "frame" under the seat pans.  It looks like it rusting from the inside of the  frame out.  We are the second owners (GM exec car for 5000 miles, according to carfax)

We bought the hybrid solely for the HOV exemption which has since evaporated. So we no longer need her hybrid.  I'm driving one and saving the environment  ;) for the both of us.

She stand a whopping 5' tall and still wants to stay in a SUV doesn't need to be a big one though.  her biggest issue, besides, being short, is the rear sight lines.  Its seems that a thick slanted D pillar is the norm.    She's gonig to go out and sit in some of the SUVs

On the wifes Short list. 

2018 Mazda CX-5

2018 Nissan Rogue

2018 Ford Escape

2018 Hyundai Tucson

2018 Kia Sportage

2017 Subaru Forester

2017 Volkswagen Tiguan

I've asked her to also look at the Toyota Rav4 and Honda Crv as well.

Anyone have any experience with  any of the above models from 2016, 2017 or 2018

While a bit smaller than the Tucson, I'd add the Hyundai Kona to the list.

we don't get much snow, and when we do wife doesn't drive much  so AWD or 4wd isn't a must.

Since we have the cmax,  we don't really need a smaller car and I'm not sure she wants to go much smaller, if at all than what she's got now.   If she needed to go into DC  she could alwasy us e my daughters 2004 Civic

For me, the Escape is too big, and my wife's FEH rides like a truck.  A PHEV the size/shape/capacity of a Forester with a battery range above 40mi is my target.  The 20mi range of my Energi is fine for my daily use, but more range would be even more useful.

My wife has extreme range anxiety, so we'll be sticking with PHEVs for a while yet.

I doubt I could ever get my wife into a plugin, unless its got a couple hundred mile range...

I would have bought the energi but the loss of storage in the back was a deal breaker..

We have chargers at work  and with a 20 mile range I could have done my entire commute on volts....

I think the Kona will be too small

Would you consider waiting for 2019 models?  Ford is coming out with more hybrids.

Joe,

every year there will be more models....  I'm sure there will be even more interesting stuff in 2020, we just cant wait.    We'll be able to pass the annual safety inspection this year.  But with the check engine light and cat codes being displayed I won't be able to pass the emissions unless I sink $500-1000 in catalytic converters/labor.    Trading the vehicle in at the dealer, spending $1000 bucks on the work wont net me $1000 return on the trade-in.  so no real reason to do it.

Plus,  shes been driving the car for nearly ten years, if she wants one this year.... we'll get one.  Happy Wife  Happy LIfe....

Between now and July 4th  it gives the wife time to look, and should be some good sales coming leading up to the july 4th holiday, and we still might be able to find 2017's still sitting on the lot that the dealers will want gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly smaller than the Toyota RAV4/Honda CR-V is the Honda HR-V SUV.

I call it a "B++" size, almost precisely the size, inside and out, of the discontinued Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe.

Seriously considered purchasing an off-lease 2015 or newer C-MAX Energi, that could have cost less than I paid for the HR-V, but couldn't find one equipped the way I wanted nearby. So I purchased an off-lease CPO 2016 HR-V EX CVT/AWD in February 2018 to replace a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. EPA 27 city/33 highway rating for the CVT with AWD.

HR-V is available in 3 trim levels with manual (very rare) or CVT available in FWD, and only CVT in the AWD models.

LX is the base model with 'manual' heating/air knobs, and a 5" audio screen with a few real buttons; EX adds sunroof, a touch-screen climate control, and 8" touch-screen audio system without NAV. EX-L adds leather interior, roof rack (no crossbars) and NAV as an option.

Certified Pre-Owned off-lease models 2-3 years old with ~30k miles are priced in the $17-21,000 range depending on options.

Ford (EcoSport), Chevy (Equinox and Trax), Nissan (Rogue and Rogue Sport), Hyundai (Tucson), and Kia (Sportage) are among other non-hybrids to consider, as well as the popular but smaller Buick Encore. The Toyota Corolla iM, and the C-HR are current models a bit smaller than the RAV-4.

Slightly smaller than the Toyota RAV4/Honda CR-V is the Honda HR-V SUV.

I call it a "B++" size, almost precisely the size, inside and out, of the discontinued Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe.

Seriously considered purchasing an off-lease 2015 or newer C-MAX Energi, that could have cost less than I paid for the HR-V, but couldn't find one equipped the way I wanted nearby. So I purchased an off-lease CPO 2016 HR-V EX CVT/AWD in February 2018 to replace a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. EPA 27 city/33 highway rating for the CVT with AWD.

HR-V is available in 3 trim levels with manual (very rare) or CVT available in FWD, and only CVT in the AWD models.

LX is the base model with 'manual' heating/air knobs, and a 5" audio screen with a few real buttons; EX adds sunroof, a touch-screen climate control, and 8" touch-screen audio system without NAV. EX-L adds leather interior, roof rack (no crossbars) and NAV as an option.

Certified Pre-Owned off-lease models 2-3 years old with ~30k miles are priced in the $17-21,000 range depending on options.

Ford (EcoSport), Chevy (Equinox and Trax), Nissan (Rogue and Rogue Sport), Hyundai (Tucson), and Kia (Sportage) are among other non-hybrids to consider, as well as the popular but smaller Buick Encore. The Toyota Corolla iM, and the C-HR are current models a bit smaller than the RAV-4.

I'd add the Hyundai Kona to that list, which directly competes with the Honda HR-V (similar size). 

niro, kona, hrv, eco sport too small she sat in them, but she doesn't want to go any bgger than the saturn or much smaller...

she was not comfortable in the CRV  if you could get automatic seats with out a sunroof, it may work but you cant.  she  wasnt happy with the seating position

Ford escape is off the list.  She asked the sales person. "why is the interior the same as my husbands five year old Cmax?"   She wasn't wowed by the drive...

I have a bit of a blood feud with GM  when they filed for chapter 11   the saturn purchase was the last time i set foot on a GM lot to buy a GM vehicle.

so now we start narrowing it down by color/interior/options based on whats in stock locally.

Well its over...

She really tried to like the toyota hybrid, and i think the 24 hour test drive was not a benefit for the toyota.  It gave her more time to drive and figure out what she really didn't like about the car.

490487d1530473727-new-car-img_5466.jpg

ended up with a 2018 forester 2.5 touring

MSRP 35525

trade was worth 2500

out the door after taxes, tags incentives, ect 30560

4 wheel drive?

Paul

It is 4 wheel drive(AWD).  All Subarus but the Subaru BRX are AWD.

Interesting how much lower the manual trans with regular gasoline compared to the automatic with premium gas with the EPA numbers (those as I read more I see the engine displacement is actually bigger.)

Vehicle EPA Fuel Economy

28 MPG 26 32 combined city/hwy city hwy 3.6 gal/100 mi 2018 Subaru Forester AWD 2.0 L, 4 cyl, Automatic (AV-S8), Turbo, Premium Gasoline  

25 MPG 23 27 combined city/hwy city hwy 4 gal/100 mi 2018 Subaru Forester AWD 2.5 L, 4 cyl, Manual 6-spd, Regular Gasoline

On the bigger turbo engine premium is recommended but regular can be used (according to the manual) with a hit on performance and MPGs.

Edited by obob

odob  from the edmonds site

2.5i  (non turbo)  CVT  26  32  28.7 combined

2.5i (non turbo) manual  22 28  24.7

2.0 XT turbo CVT 23  27  24.8

so yeah the bigger engine has less horsepower 170    than the 2.0 turbo  280  and Im sure the folks that drive the turbo moel are a bit more throttle happy than the 2.5.  I know i would be.  :)

If it's simply a SUV you are looking for and Hybrid isn't needed, my vote is for the Subaru Forester. 

Ultimately, it really comes down to what ever floats your boat.   All will get the job done.  It really comes down to what you want to drive and sit in the driveway or garage. 

The Subie has the best outward view IMO.  It's a solid drive, best in class resale value if that is important.   And while you may not need AWD, it achieves decent fuel efficiency compared to others in the same price point and class that are only 2wd.