I didn't know I had automatic wipers!

With your wipers set to the auto mode position (one click up on the right side steering wheel stalk), your windshield wipers will activate automatically when the window is hit by enough rain water (or snow) to trigger the auto-on mechanism as adjusted by the rotating wheel near the end of the stalk.  While in auto mode, if there is enough rain hitting the window to keep your wipers running constantly, your lights will come on automatically after a minute or two and stay on for as long as it rains enough to keep your wipers running constantly.  We have had it rain here in California several times and my wipers work great as I have described above.  

Edited by Generalbeluga

With your wipers set to the auto mode position (one click up on the right side steering wheel stalk), your windshield wipers will activate automatically when the window is hit by enough rain water (or snow) to trigger the auto-on mechanism as adjusted by the rotating wheel near the end of the stalk.  While in auto mode, if there is enough rain hitting the window to keep your wipers running constantly, your lights will come on automatically after a minute or two and stay on for as long as it rains enough to keep your wipers running constantly.  We have had it rain here in California several times and my wipers work great as I have described above.  

What position does your headlight switch need to be on so your headlights will come on automatically when the wipers are in auto mode and running constantly?  Does the light switch need to be in the auto position, or can it be in the off position?

Also, when your headlights come on automatically when the wipers are in auto mode and running constantly does the green lights on icon light up?

DaveofDurhan,

Both headlights and wipers need to be set to the automatic mode for the wipers to control the operation of the headlights when operating in continuous mode.   The green "headlight on" indicator at the bottom of the speedo will light whenever the headlights are on, even when triggered by the wipers in the auto continuous run mode.  

DaveofDurhan,

Both headlights and wipers need to be set to the automatic mode for the wipers to control the operation of the headlights when operating in continuous mode.   The green "headlight on" indicator at the bottom of the speedo will light whenever the headlights are on, even when triggered by the wipers in the auto continuous run mode.  

Thank you General B.   I have noticed that in light daytime rain w wipers and headlights both in auto mode that the green "headlight on" indicator was not illuminated.  I will observe this carefully next time we have a rain that triggers continuous running of auto wipers.

I didn't know I had automatic REAR wipers.  This morning when backing out of the garage it was raining and as soon as the rain hit the windshield turned on, but the rear wiper turned on with it.

As soon as I switched from Reverse to Drive it turned off.  Anybody else notice this or am I delirious?

I don't have automatic wipers, but every one of the last 5 cars I've owned have had rear wipers that operate whenever the front windshield wipers are on and the car is in reverse. The VWs and Audis I had would also automatically switch the front windshield wipers from continuous wiping to intermittent when you stopped and then back to continuous when you started moving again.

I had a BMW with automatic wipers and I didn't like them at all. I could never get them adjusted to the right sensitivity. They were always either wiping a nearly dry windshield or they would let the windshield get dangerously obscured by raindrops before they would kick in.

I didn't know I had automatic REAR wipers.  This morning when backing out of the garage it was raining and as soon as the rain hit the windshield turned on, but the rear wiper turned on with it.

As soon as I switched from Reverse to Drive it turned off.  Anybody else notice this or am I delirious?

Yup, the first time mine did that I was sure I accidentally bumped the rear wiper switch. But no, they were on only when in reverse, then as soon as I shifted to drive, they went off. What a cool feature!!

I'm sure it's cheaper to build them this way.

SO What is the camera for???

I'll probably pull the fuse or try to remember to clean the window before backing.

We spend 1/2 our time at the end of a 11 mile gravel rd, ALWAYS gritty sand on the window, which will scratch it.

wab