Sync3 Upgrade Factory GPS

Hi Guys

Is it possible to install a sync 3 module but use the factory GPS in a 2013 C-MAX? I have done some research and it seems like the GPS navigation module is located in the roof antenna as a single unit. If this is not true and I install a antenna from a 2018 escape with the GPS splitter/filter, would this work? I would like to make use of the factory antenna for better reception instead of a 3rd party GPS which seems to be prone to issues.

Technically you should be able to. All that's involved with the newer vehicles from the factory is a simple splitter system. Roof antenna covers both AM/FM radio and GPS and brings it back on one line and splits off the signals behind the APIM/ACM. But it's likely going to be extra work. I've looked into doing this before on the C-Max specifically and it looks like the actual splitter harness runs all the way to the driver side corner of the dash so would probably be a bit of a headache.

If you're worried about the GPS receiver reliability, there have been some recommended that are OEM modules from other vehicles and can be placed under the center dash cover just as easily as the cheap 3rd party recommendations. Unfortunately I don't have the info on those at the moment.

EDIT: Re-read your post a little more: No, the stock 2013 GPSM cannot be used with Sync 3. The APIM is not programmed to read from that data source and it cannot be wired into the APIM as the connections only provide CAN data and not the raw GPS signal that APIM is requiring on the antenna feed. Also the 2013 GPSM is in the dash right above the IPC. The comment I made originally was under the assumption you wanted to upgrade to the all-in-one sharkfin style antennas on some newer Ford's that have the combined GPS/AM/FM/Sirius antennas.

Edited by cr08

Thanx for the feedback. I have made the decision to upgrade to a ford escape antenna and cables which has all the needed modules. I will then wire them through the drivers side pillars and then connect them up under the dash somehow with the splitter. Not sure if this would be the easiest way to route the wires without having to tear up the entire inside of the car. 

On a side note, I had a look at the 2018 ford cmax and it seems like they also make use of the GPSM module and the antenna does not carry any GPS signal like in the escape of the same year, so I am not sure how ford got the GPSM module wired into the sync 3 system. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/7/2021 at 9:08 AM, Justinb107 said:

Thanx for the feedback. I have made the decision to upgrade to a ford escape antenna and cables which has all the needed modules. I will then wire them through the drivers side pillars and then connect them up under the dash somehow with the splitter. Not sure if this would be the easiest way to route the wires without having to tear up the entire inside of the car. 

On a side note, I had a look at the 2018 ford cmax and it seems like they also make use of the GPSM module and the antenna does not carry any GPS signal like in the escape of the same year, so I am not sure how ford got the GPSM module wired into the sync 3 system. 

Very curious how you got on with this and what kind of success you've had? I'll be honest that I've been tempted to try upgrading my '13 to the combined AM/FM/Sirius/GPS Sharkfin but the splitter and wire routing looked daunting.

Edited by cr08

• 2 years later...