Anyone post pictures for 12V battery location and access?

Sorry if any of you have had battery problems.

I have read about access to the 12 volt ( low voltage) battery.  I have pulled the rear hatch cover off, but can find not rubber access panel or way to get to the battery short of removal of several screws.  Has anyone posted a picture of how to access the 12v battery if it needs to be replaced or serviced?  I have read through most of the threads but may have missed it.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by wamba2000

Also, this car barely needs "jumping".   It's more like a small hop.

You can actually provide enough juice to wake the electronics with just the 12v adapters in the car itself...

Are you saying that if the 12 volt battery is depleted to the point where you can't start the car and the hybrid battery has power that you could make a connection from the 12v adapter in the car to the under the hood terminals for the 12 volt battery and use power from the hybrid battery routed through the 12 v adapter in the car to jump the 12 battery?

Dave, I think you just violated a law of physics or something there....

I've got a set of jumper cables that go from the 12v adapter in one car to a 12v adapter in another, they don't provide much current but will charge one battery off another. Since the C-Max doesn't need much power to boot the computer, this type of adapter is probably sufficient, rather than a heavy-duty set of jumper cables that most cars would use.

Dave, I think you just violated a law of physics or something there....

I've got a set of jumper cables that go from the 12v adapter in one car to a 12v adapter in another, they don't provide much current but will charge one battery off another. Since the C-Max doesn't need much power to boot the computer, this type of adapter is probably sufficient, rather than a heavy-duty set of jumper cables that most cars would use.

I don't think the laws of physics are a problem here. In valkraider's message, it said " You can actually provide enough juice to wake the electronics with just the 12v adapters in the car itself..."

If the 12v battery is dead and the hybrid battery has power, and if the hybrid battery is the source of power (and I do not know if it is) for the 12v outlet and other accessories, then in theory you could get energy from the hybrid battery through the 12v outlet to the 12v battery to give the 12v battery a jump,

Here's what I can't figure out.  I don't think the 12v outlet is hot (energized) when the car is totally off.   The car needs to either be started or put in accessory mode to energize the 12v outlet.  The car can't be started if the 12v battery is dead (that's the problem we are trying to overcome).  In order to turn the car on you without trying to start it (get car in accessory mode)  you need to press the start button without your foot on the brake or turn the key to accessory position, but if the 12v battery is dead I don't know if accessories will be energized when you press the start button without your foot on the brake or turn the key to accessory position. 

I defer to someone who knows more about how these aspects of the C-Max function or someone who

Edited by DaveofDurham

I mean there are jump start devices which plug in to the 12v adapter. There is another thread here where people have posted links to the devices. I'll have to look for the thread.

I believe the 12v connector in the cargo area and the one in the console cubby are always hot, so juice should be able to flow in to the 12v system just as it flows out of the 12v system via those outlets.

I'll look for the thread...

The 12 volt battery is 12 volts. The LiOn is high voltage. The power in 12 volt outlets in the car is 12 volts and comes from the 12 volt battery and, when the car is running, from a step down converter that converts high voltage from the LiOn battery down to 12 volts. When the car is off, any current in the 12 volt outlets is from the 12 volt battery and the connection to the step down converter is off.

Here is what can possibly be done, apparently tested by some posters:

A 12 volt battery booster can be plugged into a 12 volt outlet rather than connected to the jumping posts for the 12 volt battery (posts are under the front hood, battery is in back under the cargo area). The booster sends power through the 12 volt outlet to the 12 volt battery, and all that is needed usually is a quick flash to start the car.

The 12 volt battery is 12 volts. The LiOn is high voltage. The power in 12 volt outlets in the car is 12 volts and comes from the 12 volt battery and, when the car is running, from a step down converter that converts high voltage from the LiOn battery down to 12 volts. When the car is off, any current in the 12 volt outlets is from the 12 volt battery and the connection to the step down converter is off.

Here is what can possibly be done, apparently tested by some posters:

A 12 volt battery booster can be plugged into a 12 volt outlet rather than connected to the jumping posts for the 12 volt battery (posts are under the front hood, battery is in back under the cargo area). The booster sends power through the 12 volt outlet to the 12 volt battery, and all that is needed usually is a quick flash to start the car.

i like that answer!  after our car suffered a dead battery for the second time, we bought a jump-starter (by peak, 600 amps) which we haven't needed to use, gratefully.  but if i am alone and ever needed to jump the battery, i would so rather plug it into the 12 volt outlet than work with the jumper cables.  i am assuming that the jump starter is the same as the battery booster yr referring to, or at least can be used in the same way.  hopefully, it will NEVER be an issue again.  that is my dream.

Pomfrey

Please call Ford (both your dealer's service department & Ford's Customer Care line) and let them know you have had dead batteries twice, if you have not already done so. As you can see from the dead battery threads there are many of us who have had the same problem and we are trying to get Ford to figure out the cause and correct the problem. They are more likely to put their engineering teams on it to the extent they face the fact it is not just an isolated problem effecting only a couple of cars.

• 11 months later...