Energi battery range

Marc Smith

Hey folks,

recently 2015 energi  does not seem to be fully charging.   when sitting overnight on a 120v charger  or at a 240 charger at work.  only goes up to estimated range of 15 miles?  in the past i was seeing 20 and the occasional 21-22 mi estimate range

the 15 mile estimate range is an actual 15 mile range.  my drive to work is 15.4 miles  and I used to be able to make the drive all electric no problem.  Not now.

yes I know that in the winter time batteries don't have as great of a range.  car is garaged at work and at home.    yes I know the cabin heater is electric as well,  but when I turn on the heater the range drops to 10mi.  I have driven several times with out the heater on  just trying to see if its an estimation/display error.  but it doesn't seem to be  just seem like the battery isn't holding as much charge...Dead cells?

Any one have any ideas?  the recently had the purge valve replaced,  but I don't think the dealer trip and the battery range is correlated.  If it is,  I didn't notice the range issue then.

50K miles on the car...  any ideas?

on my drive home tonight  I'll get the amount KW used to get home. with no heater (might be a warm enough) and post

The 'miles of range' is merely a guess by the vehicle and will vary depending on a number of different factors from your recent driving patterns, ambient temperature, climate control usage, etc.. It's never recommended as a final say of battery capacity/life/etc..

Check the actual SOC % either via MyFordMobile/FordPass or in the Sync system. 2015 you should be on Sync 2 so the little 'leaf' icon on the row of buttons at the bottom of the screen should get you there. More than likely you are getting a full charge, but the estimated miles of range will vary per the line above.

The drops you're seeing aren't that unusual considering the conditions. If you're absolutely worried about the battery life/capacity, doing the KwH test will be the ideal way to verify that.

@cr08  Fully aware of temps and such and climate control usage. 

I just find it strange that I was seeing 20-22 estimated range and now its only showing 15...  and i was able to make the trip to work with miles and charge left.  Now  the battery tank is empty.  that's a 25% drop.  with no climate usage.

Its showing 100% charge but only 15 miles.  but it was showing 100% with 20-22 within the last 30-60 days.

So what other testing can I do,  wait for warmer weather?  just feels off,

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2679.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

IMG_2682.jpg

IMG_2684.jpg

fwiw  saw this thread as well...

So if the battery is degrading....is there a point at which its warrant-able?  do I make a trip to ford and document the decline,  or what until I get closer to the 8/100 warranty expiring.

Was thinking about the maverick too...

and this thread

https://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/8230-expected-life-of-hvb-and-cost-to-replace/

Edited by Marc Smith

On 2/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, Marc Smith said:

Maverick is a hybrid, so the Energi battery discussions will not apply. Hybrid HVBs are life-of-car parts and do not fail like Energi HVBs because they spend their life near 50% SOC, not 100%. 

On 2/8/2022 at 9:26 AM, Marc Smith said:

fwiw  saw this thread as well...

So if the battery is degrading....is there a point at which its warrant-able?  do I make a trip to ford and document the decline,  or what until I get closer to the 8/100 warranty expiring.

and this thread

https://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/8230-expected-life-of-hvb-and-cost-to-replace/

For the C-Max/Fusion Energi models, Ford really only warranties a total battery failure causing the vehicle to be undriveable. They don't warranty any degradation or capacity loss like most other manufacturers. Best recommendation is to follow the recommended steps by other owners that help prolong the battery in the long term as these vehicles do a poor job at it on their own.

You'll want to find out the real capacity of the battery in KwH. Short explanation: Start with a full 100% charge and drive in EV only mode, no heat. You want to make sure there's no chance the engine is going to kick on during this test. Drive until the plug-in capacity is depleted and drops to hybrid mode. Stop the car and shut it off. The trip summary on the dash should then show the KwH used and if the test was done correctly, this number should show the battery capacity to a decent degree of accuracy.

I don't fill my electic tank up and the guess o meter reads 47 miles to empty.     There, don't go by the miles of range as it is does not fully reflect range.    Heat is the primary factor for degradation of the battery pack capacity.  Driving excessively in EV mode--as in drive until it is empty-will drive the battery temperature up and frequently into unhealthy   The battery pack likes to sit at 77f plus or minus 6f.   Once the battery pack is too warm like in the 90's, the vehicle is unable to quickly cool itself.   Easy to see such when you use third party hardware that monitors battery temperature, amps, SOC and other.  It is not wise to fully charge the battery pack and let it sit.  Nor is it wise to let the battery pack run down to zero on a regular basis.  IT is better to charge in a step fashion in that the car can cool awhile before recharging upward further.   Just sitting in the summer sum will heat the battery pack up to unhealthy levels.  

47 miles to empty aug 2019.jpg

47 miles to empty.JPG

On 2/16/2022 at 7:35 AM, Marc Smith said:

@Billyk24  What dash display is that from? 

I believe this display is only available on newer model years. Can't tell you which specific years though. Earlier models did not have this. If memory serves, this shows up when you shut off the car and get the trip summary stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks cr08  mine doesn't show that at all. 

just on the left side for trip data.

a few days the bats got up to 17 miles charge.  but still hoovering around 15 miles... 

stinks.  i was seeing  tanks over 100mpg per tank having a 20 mile range.  and being able to use heat.  now going to work,  no heat,  and occasionally running with windows cracked to prevent fogging when cold.  and in having the engine kick on occasionally in the last mile or so,  stinks...

oh well,  still better than the alternative...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 7:03 PM, Billyk24 said:

I don't fill my electic tank up and the guess o meter reads 47 miles to empty.     There, don't go by the miles of range as it is does not fully reflect range.    Heat is the primary factor for degradation of the battery pack capacity.  Driving excessively in EV mode--as in drive until it is empty-will drive the battery temperature up and frequently into unhealthy   The battery pack likes to sit at 77f plus or minus 6f.   Once the battery pack is too warm like in the 90's, the vehicle is unable to quickly cool itself.   Easy to see such when you use third party hardware that monitors battery temperature, amps, SOC and other.  It is not wise to fully charge the battery pack and let it sit.  Nor is it wise to let the battery pack run down to zero on a regular basis.  IT is better to charge in a step fashion in that the car can cool awhile before recharging upward further.   Just sitting in the summer sum will heat the battery pack up to unhealthy levels.  

47 miles to empty aug 2019.jpg

47 miles to empty.JPG

Why is the Outside temp./other reading so far in the orange? Was this a really cold day? Mine is always orange like that and had been orange even after a day in the 70's. What could the "other" factors be?

Edited by ltravisjr