Passed 200K, how long will these Cmax Hybrids go? Are 2016 thru 2018 as quality as the older ones?

stratosurfer

All, my 2013 Cmax SEL with 2016 eCVT in it just keeps humming along. I used Amsoil Signature oil and have R&R’d the coolant, but other than a wheel bearing and the CVT replacement, I haven’t really done much to the car. OEM brakes ( I do drive a lot of highway miles), orig spark plugs. Is this car good for awhile? Any high Mileage folks out there? I wonder if I should pass this to my daughter and get myself a 2018? IDK? With the newer eCVT in my 2013 and nothing but driving it for the most part, is the quality as good on the 2016 through 2018 Cmax’s?

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

We've had several owners report >250K (ptjones, recumpence), but you're soon to enter rarefied territory. You're reliability tracking doesn't show an overall wear out pattern today, but the brakes and plugs won't last forever. I'd renew them before I handed it down. They owe you nothing. 

I'll also recommend an upgrade to the HF45 in the Escape. Bigger car, better mileage...

On 3/19/2022 at 6:06 PM, fbov said:

I'll also recommend an upgrade to the HF45 in the Escape. Bigger car, better mileage...

I wonder if the Escape Hybrid has the power and acceleration of the Cmax? Mine is a little rocket ship on acceleration. I like the Escape PHEV, but understand the battery pack weighs it down considerably, and makes it a little more sluggish than the non PHEV.  This Cmax is a very fun car to drive.

On 3/20/2022 at 1:08 AM, stratosurfer said:

I wonder if the Escape Hybrid has the power and acceleration of the Cmax?...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a29878756/2020-ford-escape-hybrid-vs-2019-toyota-rav4-hybrid/

Scroll down to test results. Same power as the HF35's 2.0L and within arguing distance of the same weight. Escape is taller and wider, so larger, and I've learned to love the ability to get a snug fit for cargo by changing rear seat position. 

Drove a 1991 ford festiva to 350K & a 1998 taurus sho to 425K, work kept me on the road for 50K per year. Used a good quality fuel injection cleaner with every oil change. Did all my own upkeep on both but went out of my way to find & use a quality repair shop for anything I was uncomfortable with [drove 400 miles just for some of work on the SHO]. The C-Max gas motor is a well tested motor with a timing chain instead of a "replace or else" timing belt & should hold up with proper upkeep to 350-400K easily. The brakes & suspension lasting are more a result of driving habits & quality repair/replacement by a good garage. If you happen to live in an area with more than one dealer/repair shop that claim to know how to work on ford hybrids be sure and check which one does & not just claim. Where I now live I'm not so lucky. I agree with others, replace the spark plugs & brake pads before you pass the car on to you daughter [she doesn't need the headache that may arise]. I'm now retired and  now drive only about 5K a year & hope/expect my 2013 [103K] to be the last car I buy before I go. Thanks for the read.

• 1 month later...

As with most builds, it's completely hit and miss.  Own 2 cmaxes (2017 and 2018) and both have had early problems (before reaching 36,000 miles), including all sway bar links replaced on both, transmission replaced on one, 4 wheel bearings replaced, half shaft, rotors, many misaligned seams and creaking noises, and all have swollen lug nuts.  Love the way both drive, but repairs are premature and reflect poor build quality.  Our 2017 rear bearings sound like those are going bad...again with still only 38,000 miles on that one.

Greg   

• 2 weeks later...

By my experience, these are extremely durable, trusty cars. I come from VWs, Audis and SAABs, so I know car trouble. With the C-Max, I'm not seeing much of that. Our family fleet consists of my wife's 2014 Hybrid and my 2017 Energi. We're about to pass five years with each, or a total of 100,000 miles together. Here's our total spent on repairs: less than $100 to replace two leaky seals on the transmission cooler hoses. And this was on the older car, at 80,000 miles! One larger problem remains unrepaired: the SYNC 3 system on my 2017 needs a new computer module. The latest bid is for that $1200. I've chosen to wait, because the audio system works eventually, just very slowly sometimes. This is a known problem with all Fords with SYNC 3, so it's not specific to the C-Max. 

I expect these cars to last as long as I want to drive them. That's why i just had transmission fluid changed in both of them. It would be nice to trade one for an AWD crossover, though. I'd keep the Energi long-term. Beyond the reliability issues, there are several nice improvements with the 2016 model year, including:

- dash vents that don't blow cold air on your hands

- sharper-looking two-tone wheels

- remote start

- parking radar

- better dash screen, with an "off" button.

On 5/24/2022 at 9:37 PM, Wheatridger said:

One larger problem remains unrepaired: the SYNC 3 system on my 2017 needs a new computer module. The latest bid is for that $1200. I've chosen to wait, because the audio system works eventually, just very slowly sometimes. This is a known problem with all Fords with SYNC 3, so it's not specific to the C-Max. 

Can you specify the problems you've been having? Sync 3 in general has been solid from what I've seen. The only constant has been the well known issues of the audio staying on after the car is off or not being able to change volume/sources. From a technical standpoint this isn't Sync related but the separate ACM module which is the same whether you have an older Sync 2 vehicle or Sync 3. The dealer should be able to do a simple firmware upgrade on this as the proper fix which would just be whatever their diagnostic cost is. Maybe an hour of labor tops?

If the issue is something else, I'd be interested in knowing what that is.

FWIW, if the Sync/APIM module legitimately does need to be replaced, that $1200 is highway robbery. If you are at all technically inclined, you can usually find the APIM only on eBay under $300-$400. Any APIM from any other Ford vehicle can be used and just needs to be programmed to your vehicle (Ford provides the AsBuilt config on their site for your vehicle and can be programmed in seconds using ForScan).

Edited by cr08

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. I have found the APIM listed for under $400. The labor on the job was quoted by a Ford dealer as three hours, or $600. I'd hate to waste that labor on a part that couldn't be guaranteed.

But there's progress anyway. I upgraded my iPhone 11 to a 13. Now the radio commands work quickly and dependably, BUT only if the phone is connected to the car by the lightning cord. I haven't attempted yet to pair them through Bluetooth. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have over 242,000 miles and counting with very minimal maintenance beyond oil, tires, and brakes. Just had a 3rd wheel bearing changed and front sway bar ends changed which took care of the clunking sound going over bumps. Still original plugs, transmission, etc.    Had 3 windshields and the panoramic roof replaced due to rocks kicked up by trucks.  Gas mileage is down to 35 average for highways.    I’m amazed!