2013 (and likely newer models) Global Close enabled and working!

TL;DR: Despite some old threads either here or on the defunct Energi forum and some other communities saying Global Close wouldn't be an option, it looks like it actually is on our vehicles!

Just as an explainer what 'Global Open' and 'Global Close' are for those unaware: This allows rolling your windows down and back up via the keyfob outside the vehicle. The process is as simple as pressing the lock/unlock button once and then immediately press and hold it for about 3-5 seconds and the windows will roll up or down (unlock for down, lock for up). Unlike the Global Open function, Global Close only requires pressing and holding the lock button once to engage. Global Open will continue to require pressing the unlock button once and then pressing and holding it again to operate. At any time you can press lock or unlock to stop the windows while they are opening/closing.

NOTE: It appears newer models years like the 2017 and newer already have this enabled and specifically detail it in the owners manual. Before changing this willy nilly, confirm yours does not already have this enabled using the fob operation noted above.

There was a thread that popped up on the CyanLabs forum from a Fiesta owner who was trying to tackle enabling Global Close and the always helpful F150chief pointed out a thread for Kuga's (European Escape, essentially the same platform as the C-Max) on doing a relearn process on the auto-up/down functions on the windows to try and get it working. Not exactly sure what specific step finally solved it, but here's the process:

WARNING! You are making changes to the Body Control Module. This module is crucial to vehicle operation and manages functions like interior and exterior lighting as well as ignition operation. If you are not comfortable messing with this and/or ForScan, please don't. Following these instructions is at your own risk and I am not responsible for any damages or malfunctions incurred as a result.

As always with changes like these, please back up your AsBuilt/module configurations before making changes! Also follow all notes and warnings given to you by ForScan and their own resources.

• In ForScan, go into the module configuration screen and choose the 'Central Configuration' (NOT AsBuilt!) for the BdyCM module. Locate the Global Open/Global Close configuration entry and change it to the 'Global open/close doors enabled (3 seconds)' option. I think this is listed as 02? Write this to the module. Follow all directions ForScan gives you in this process.
  • For completeness sake, I relearned the auto-up/down functions on all four windows. This is as simple as rolling a window both down AND up completely and holding the switch in those positions for about 5 seconds to learn the extent of travel. NOTE: If the one touch up/down on your windows does not work immediately, it will impact the Global Open/Close functionality. Messing with some modules like the BdyCM/BCM can do this and the relearn process noted here will need to be done. Once the one touch up/down works, you should be fine.

And that was it! I can now confirm the windows now can also roll up via the keyfob. I'll try and get screenshots from the options in ForScan for later to add here.

Quick short video with proof of functionality: C-Max Global Close feature enabled and functional (video proof) - YouTube

Edited by cr08

Ah! Yes I made this same change a couple of weeks ago and was thrilled to see that it works (I too had read messages in the past saying it wasn't possible on our cars). 

At first, I was kind of bugged by having to press the lock button twice since doing so also triggers the honk confirmation that the doors were locked. I looked into disabling that honk, but ultimately figured out that if you just hold down on the lock button on the fob for ~5 seconds it will lock all the doors and roll up the windows without having to hold the lock button a second time (thus avoiding the honk).

I did not do the relearning of the range of motion, so that is probably not strictly necessary (but it can't hurt, either).

Enabling this has been one of the biggest quality-of-life improvements to this vehicle for me. Can't tell you how many times in the past I've had to get back in the car and turn it on just to roll up a damn window! 

The other super great Forscan tweak I did was to disable the double-honk when getting out of the car with the key while it's running. That was even more aggravating to me than the global close thing because it often seemed to happen when there were other folks around (parking lot, someone's driveway, etc.) and people would think I was honking at them. Disabling that sucker was a godsend. I can make a post about how to do it here in case anyone else is interested--it's a pretty quick and easy as-built change.

Maybe we can think about putting together a collaborative google spreadsheet with all the tweaks that work on the C-Max.

Edited by bookemdano

On 4/4/2022 at 6:30 PM, bookemdano said:

Maybe we can think about putting together a collaborative google spreadsheet with all the tweaks that work on the C-Max.

This is definitely something I've been wanting to do and start playing with the various options in the vehicle some more. For me it will probably have to wait until summer starts so its warmer out and I'm out of busy season at work and can focus on this stuff more. One other feature I did add a few months back (and I believe I briefly mentioned it in this forum in another thread) is displaying the set cruise speed on the IPC which has been VERY handy. Hint: It's actually an option in the non-AsBuilt IPC configuration menu in ForScan so a piece of cake to find. I just can't remember off the top of my head what specific option it was. lol

On 4/5/2022 at 8:29 PM, cr08 said:

This is definitely something I've been wanting to do and start playing with the various options in the vehicle some more. For me it will probably have to wait until summer starts so its warmer out and I'm out of busy season at work and can focus on this stuff more. One other feature I did add a few months back (and I believe I briefly mentioned it in this forum in another thread) is displaying the set cruise speed on the IPC which has been VERY handy. Hint: It's actually an option in the non-AsBuilt IPC configuration menu in ForScan so a piece of cake to find. I just can't remember off the top of my head what specific option it was. lol

Thanks! I just went in and looked. Guessing it's the "Cruise Control Set Speed" option. I went ahead and enabled it, along with "Cruise Control Menu". Didn't see any Cruise Control menu show up on either screen in the IPC, but I also didn't have the ignition on (just accessory mode). So either the Cruise Control menu isn't compatible with the C-Max or maybe it only shows up when in motion and with cruise control turned on. 

I'll be on the highway tomorrow so will test both settings and report back.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:37 PM, bookemdano said:

Thanks! I just went in and looked. Guessing it's the "Cruise Control Set Speed" option. I went ahead and enabled it, along with "Cruise Control Menu". Didn't see any Cruise Control menu show up on either screen in the IPC, but I also didn't have the ignition on (just accessory mode). So either the Cruise Control menu isn't compatible with the C-Max or maybe it only shows up when in motion and with cruise control turned on. 

I'll be on the highway tomorrow so will test both settings and report back.

I have this set.  Vehicle has to be running with cruise control enabled and set to show on the IPC. 

Edited by David_Tucker4

On 4/6/2022 at 6:27 AM, David_Tucker4 said:

I have this set.  Vehicle has to be running with cruise control enabled and set to show on the IPC. 

Yep--worked for me too yesterday. The set speed appears in the lower left corner of the left screen of the instrument cluster (underneath the ECO telltale if you have ECO cruise control turned on). With CC on but not activated, it shows a 0 with a slash through it. 

Pretty nifty!

Thanks for the tip on that @cr08.