Car starts, engine light on, will shift into drive but not move

This just started today.  I press the brake, push the button to start and the engine light comes on. The steering wheel is mostly locked.  I can put it into drive but the car won't move.  So I turn it off then it starts fine but seems a little "delayed" in moving.  I took it to the dealership and they replaced the starter battery but it still does this. While I was there the tech could not get it to malfunction again.  I got in and it did it again.  Then it started WITHOUT my foot on the brake.  They think it is an electrical issue but I can't get it in there for 2 weeks.  Hoping it will keep starting.   Anyone had this happen?

Hard to say the cause without pulling codes. It could be any number of things especially being a Hybrid/EV as it has a lot of various checks ensuring it's safe to connect the traction battery and make the car drivable.

If the check engine light is on, it'll have something stored to help narrow it down. If you can get these (Either from your dealer, Autozone/Auto parts store, or your own scantool/OBD tool), it'll greatly help in diagnosing the issue. Personal preference is a cheap Bluetooth OBD adapter and ForScan (either the mobile app or Windows PC app). ForScan can pull 'hidden' Ford specific codes that generic scan tools wont, though if the CEL is on there will be something there that a generic scan tool can provide but it may not be detailed.

Edited by cr08

thank you. So far it is still starting. I’ve started it several times today without my foot on the brake. No check engine light. Started once with foot on the brake out of habit. Still no check engine light. I literally pray every time I get in that God will

let it start, lol. I have an appointment May 5.  Hoping it stays working til then.