Online Chat with C-Max Engineer

Maximus

Something odd is going on here, I don't see the point of miss information.

BTW on my trip to SF and back I tried to determine if there is any difference in   MPG at 206deg.F vs 213deg.F and couldn't tell. Do you think with your laptop you could tell? Maybe come up a curve for optimum MPG vs temp.

I checked and there is a data point called Fuel Level Input and it it in % to one decimal point.  My tank is currently just under 1/2 on the gauge and the data point  shows 48.2%.  So, I assume it's the current fuel level but I will check it by recording data.  I hope it is a calculated value based on fuel injection quantities and not the input from the sending unit in the tank.  I would also assume that the nominal tank capacity of 13.5 gallons would be 100%.  If that is the case then every 0.1 % change would correspond to 0.0135 gallons.  That would be very good resolution to do some FE testing vs coolant temp.

There likely will be issues since you cannot control a lot of the variables (ICE recharging, coolant temperature change, motor use and so forth).    

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

• 1 month later...

I don't know what FORD is doing, but I connected a camera to my laptop and put it in grill opening when I was testing my Grill Covers. The shutters are controlled by temp not speed. They start to open at 190deg.F and are fully open at 213deg.F and the fan comes on at 215deg.F. Your shutters are always closed in city driving unless you are using AC. Having a ScanGauge is useful in determine these functions. The aerodynamic benefit for the shutters is minimal at best because they open up when going fast when they need to be closed. That is why my Grill Covers improve MPG by 2mpg at 70mph.  

I'm the one in the video who asked about the grille shutters and over at the FFH forum we've since found the Gil was wrong. The Ford dealers were also told what Gil said in the interview. My salesman pulled out his notes from Ford from a class he took about the hybrids and Energis and Ford published to the salesman wrong information just like what Gil says in the video is wrong. ptjones is right, they close based on temperature. Even though the shutters make a minimal impact on keeping the engine warm. They also seem to make a minimal impact on aerodynamics.

One idea that we've floated at the FFH forum is that earlier build cars operate one way and then Ford changed it later on. That could explain why Ford is saying that they close based on speed and we're observing that they close based on temperature

• 1 month later...

Perhaps on the Fusion they are both temp and speed since its a premium car and you are paying for a more sophisticated system whereas on the c-max its a lower level car and they went with the "dummy" system that only works either by temp or speed,

If anyone knows who is the mfg of the grille shutters, maybe we can find out for sure. Any labeling in the engine compartment that you can see?

I don't know what FORD is doing, but I connected a camera to my laptop and put it in grill opening when I was testing my Grill Covers. The shutters are controlled by temp not speed. They start to open at 190deg.F and are fully open at 213deg.F and the fan comes on at 215deg.F. Your shutters are always closed in city driving unless you are using AC. Having a ScanGauge is useful in determine these functions. The aerodynamic benefit for the shutters is minimal at best because they open up when going fast when they need to be closed. That is why my Grill Covers improve MPG by 2mpg at 70mph.  

"Your" grill covers improve MPS at 70 mph.  Do your covers close then somehow?  Everythings I've read and seen--by Chevrolet on TV--suggests that covers will improve mph at high speed only if they close at high speed.  Do you mis-state what you intended to say?  You are testing your C Max, right?

• 11 months later...

Slightly OT, but I was trying to catch up on 18 months of useful forum info...

The original link to the YouTube video with Gil Portalatin is now is marked 'Private' when I try to view it.

Does anyone have a public link?

While searching, I found this GeekBeat video interview with Dr. Mazen Hammoud, Chief Engineer of Ford's Hybrid Drive Technology, taped at the 2014 NAIAS show in Detroit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtRYa84mQoM

Slightly OT, but I was trying to catch up on 18 months of useful forum info...

The original link to the YouTube video with Gil Portalatin is now is marked 'Private' when I try to view it.

Does anyone have a public link?

While searching, I found this GeekBeat video interview with Dr. Mazen Hammoud, Chief Engineer of Ford's Hybrid Drive Technology, taped at the 2014 NAIAS show in Detroit.

Awesome video, thanks!

"Your" grill covers improve MPS at 70 mph.  Do your covers close then somehow?  Everythings I've read and seen--by Chevrolet on TV--suggests that covers will improve mph at high speed only if they close at high speed.  Do you mis-state what you intended to say?  You are testing your C Max, right?

PTJones (Paul) means two different things when he says Shutters and Grill Covers. Shutters are the factory-installed lovers that open and close automatically according to factory-set parameters. Grill Covers are homemade covers that Paul came up with to literally cover the grill so air cannot flow through it, with the idea that this will improve fuel economy. Paul sells the covers and promotes them in the forums.