How smooth is the CMAX engine/cvt when idling?

WannaCMAX

I've had my 2014 CMAX SEL for almost 15K miles, its still below 80K.  I am asking my questions now while there is still hope warranty might cover a potential issue.

The car doesn't have any of the hallmark cvt failure noises.  No bumping, rubbing, grinding or whining noises.  EV mode is always smooth.  However, when I'm just creeping along in traffic using the ICE, and its at idle speed, say first thing in the morning when the engine is still cold, the engine/cvt seems to make a mild "burble" sound.   If I give the engine just a little juice to get it out of idle, its smooth sailing without anything out of ordinary.  

The car has been this way the entire time I've owned it.  Because it doesn't have any of the halmark cvt noises, I haven't been too concerned.   I don't think its a cvt noise.  What I hear might be something like an unsteady idle because of mild vaccum leak.  Because I didn't have the car when new, I don't know if its normal.  When switching from EV to ICE at low idle, the system sounds "loose" for a better word.   Or like the ICE is trying to idle too low when creeping and isn't completely smooth when running at lowest possible rpm. 

Ive checked the motor mounts, they are solid, so I don't think its that. Also the half shafts don't have any up/down play, only a tiny bit of in/out.  I don't think thats the issue and dont see any leaks.

Any ideas?  I am afraid to take it to a Ford dealership for an "exploratory", but I also want to be safe if there is an issue.  If other CMAX have what I describe at low idle ICE when just creeping along, it would put my mind at ease.   OTH, these noises are not hallmark of failing cvt afaik, and its been like this for 15k miles.  So if not a cvt issue, then what?  I'm probably just being paranoid.

If what you're experiencing feels like a slightly unsteady idle (not feeling like a full on misfire) on the first cold start of the ICE, I'd say this is likely normal. I know on my '13 in the past 40k miles of ownership it has behaved this way and goes away once it takes the very brief time to warm up (basically once it is able to shut off the ICE). Hasn't been an issue and still on the original transmission with no weird noises, knock on wood.

On 6/10/2022 at 2:02 PM, cr08 said:

If what you're experiencing feels like a slightly unsteady idle (not feeling like a full on misfire) on the first cold start of the ICE, I'd say this is likely normal. I know on my '13 in the past 40k miles of ownership it has behaved this way and goes away once it takes the very brief time to warm up (basically once it is able to shut off the ICE). Hasn't been an issue and still on the original transmission with no weird noises, knock on wood.

Its most noticeable in the morning when the car is cold, because its more likely to launch from stop without the electric motor (which is used once the battery is charged.)

It will make the noise even when the car is warm, but when the engine is running at lowest possible rpm.   Like for instance, when creeping in bumper to bumper traffic after the battery has been spent.  It does kinda feel like an unsteady idle, perhaps, but there is a mild "burble" noise.  If revving the ICE, launching at a normal speed, there is nothing amiss.

I wish the people who had cvt failures had posted some sound files to compare with.

I checked with Ford and my car still has four months of warranty.  I certainly will take it in for a checkup and to see if anything can be done.

Edited by WannaCMAX