fuses

grege

Been using a dash camera for a few years in our 2018 cmax and recently, the camera died (or so I thought). Turns out the 20amp cigarette lighter was the culprit, not the dash camera !  Apparently, the dash camera lighter power cord insert unscrewed at the tip and shorted out the socket.  If yours stops working, look for loose parts in the cigarette lighter first and then check your fuse.  One owner had a button fall into their lighter, which shorted theirs.

Good luck,

Greg

• 1 year later...

I have a 2013 CMax Energi (plug-in hybrid). I got a dash cam and hardwire kit, the kit requires a ground, a constant power, and accessory power using fuse taps. However, it seems all the fuses are always powered on even for things that should only be on when accessories are on (car turned on). For instance, the radio fuse should be powered only when the car is on. Using a volt meter every fuse in the box tests 12V even when the car is off. The accessories don’t work when the car is off regardless, but the fuses still appear to have power.

Has anyone else seen this? I’m wondering if this is because it is a plug in hybrid….  If you have hooked up a hardwire kit to this car, which fuse ports did you use?

Edited by Paris

On 1/5/2024 at 9:33 PM, Paris said:

I have a 2013 CMax Energi (plug-in hybrid). I got a dash cam and hardwire kit, the kit requires a ground, a constant power, and accessory power using fuse taps. However, it seems all the fuses are always powered on even for things that should only be on when accessories are on (car turned on). For instance, the radio fuse should be powered only when the car is on. Using a volt meter every fuse in the box tests 12V even when the car is off. The accessories don’t work when the car is off regardless, but the fuses still appear to have power.

Has anyone else seen this? I’m wondering if this is because it is a plug in hybrid….  If you have hooked up a hardwire kit to this car, which fuse ports did you use?

Modern cars command modules on/off digitally over the CAN bus instead of the old 'accessory power' wire or switching the main power feed. The radio is one of many examples of this. That said, there are still fuses that will shut off with the ignition. The power feed for the 12v ports in the front feeds off the lighting relays which means they will stay on for up to an hour or so after the car is off but then shut down. There are a number of fuses that are like this as well even for stuff not lighting related.

Here's a thread that has some useful info: 

Edited by cr08