First Fluid Change at 120k?

jestevens

So can I really drain and fill the HF35 fluid at 150k per service schedule?  I now have 121k on my CMAX and the dealership doesn't want to touch it since it's never been changed before.  But this transmission is more like a manual eh?  I am not using the car with a heavy service schedule.

I have not had any issues with the transmission to date.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:56 PM, jestevens said:

So can I really drain and fill the HF35 fluid at 150k per service schedule?  I now have 121k on my CMAX and the dealership doesn't want to touch it since it's never been changed before.  But this transmission is more like a manual eh?  I am not using the car with a heavy service schedule.

I have not had any issues with the transmission to date.

The dealer's probably thinking along the lines of it being a traditional automatic with a torque converter, clutch packs, etc.. Usually when these are left so long without having regular fluid changes, the clutch packs wear and the fine particles in the fluid can 'fill in' places to make up for lost friction. So doing a flush or drain-and-fill it loses this and can get much worse.

This is not how the eCVT is designed. There's no friction/wear components. In terms of what the fluid does, it's no different than a manual transmission vehicle. It's simply there for lubrication and cooling. So there shouldn't be any concerns about doing a drain and fill so late in its life.

That said, a lot of people do recommend doing them at much earlier intervals. I think I've seen between 50-75k miles. Even FordTechMakuloco on Youtube who exclusively runs a Ford shop did this on an old Escape Hybrid using basically the same transmission (just an older version/model) I think recommended a 50k interval.

What model year C-Max? And is this an Energi or Hybrid? If 2013-2015 and/or a hybrid model, it couldn't hurt getting it done if only to get an idea if there's any metal particles in the fluid. This could indicate issues with the transfer bearing that is a concern to worry about in those early years.

On 8/10/2022 at 8:55 PM, cr08 said:

That said, a lot of people do recommend doing them at much earlier intervals.

Obviously, any "Ford shop" on Youtube has a lot more engineering knowledge, testing and experience than Ford (sarc).  Some folks would change engine oil every 3k miles - all a waste of money and the environment.

Ask yourself, am I comfortable with changing the fluid at 120k or 150k? Will it help at 120k? Maybe, maybe-not. Will it hurt to go to 150k? Again, maybe, maybe-not. What really counts is what results in you feeling good about your level of upkeep. I changed mine at 100k, despite the manual calling for 150k, 2013 SEL, mostly because it was what I felt good about based on my personal experience from 40+yrs of car upkeep. Trusting your gut may help and in this case is doubtful to hurt. The oil changes a 3k by a lot of folks is a holdover from 30+yrs ago, and a lot of people will not change what works for them. Thanks for the read.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:24 PM, SnowStorm said:

Obviously, any "Ford shop" on Youtube has a lot more engineering knowledge, testing and experience than Ford (sarc).  Some folks would change engine oil every 3k miles - all a waste of money and the environment.

On the contrary, I'd sooner trust his word over Ford engineers any day. Granted most of his work these days tends to be F-150's and a lot of 5.4L work therein. I've watched just about all of his videos and his advice is very trustworthy and based on common sense and experience, not just blindly accepting Ford's word on things.

On top of that, why not change the transmission fluid earlier than called for? It's a VERY easy process on the C-Max and the fluid is cheap. And to go back to my earlier comment: 2013-2015 models with the potential transfer bearing issues would do better to change out early if just to check the fluid condition for any metal particles.

Is a 2013 SEL Hybrid, I've never changed the fluid. If I can make it to 200k I'll be more than happy .. lately haven't been driving a whole lot to be honest.

With a regular transmission I would never consider it but this transmission is more like a manual eh?  And I'm not interested in doing a flush, just the drain and fill they typically recommend. 

On 8/12/2022 at 12:00 AM, fbov said:

Then you are a fool. 

Take it as you will. I'm not saying anyone absolutely SHOULD follow these guidelines. Heck, my '13 is still on the original fluid at 85k miles and I'm probably going to hold off doing that drain/fill until around the 100k mark when I have the other big scheduled maintenance tasks done. But there's ZERO harm in doing so earlier if one wishes to do so. And I stand by the idea that doing so earlier on 13-15 models is probably a smart bet to try and catch signs of bearing wear early. And in this case @jestevens just confirmed they are ripe for this with a 2013 hybrid.

To @jestevens: A flush is not necessary on these, just a simple drain and fill as you noted. In fact it's a very simple process if you wish to DIY it as well. But yes, there's no harm in doing the changes basically at any mileage as far as the original inferred concern goes that the dealer warned you against. There's no normal friction wear parts that most people worry about with traditional automatic transmissions.

I change my trans oil every 2 years so it stays clean. Its overkill but its only 5 quarts and affordable.

Its true that the trans does not have any friction material that breaks down, but it still has gears, bushings and bearings that can wear and distribute fine metal through out due to normal wear.  And since the filter and magnet is internal and cannot be replaced or cleaned without disassembly, keeping the fluid clean is good insurance. 

Edited by Dave

A few more comments:

• A "Ford Dealer" is not Ford, and certainly not Ford Engineering.  Of course Ford isn't perfect, but we shouldn't transfer distrust for a lousy dealer to Ford. 
  • You could change the transmission fluid every 10k miles and it would have no effect on whether your transmission fails (as we are discussing).  It has nothing to do with "normal wear" and nothing to do with the bearings.  The failure appears to happen as a catastrophic, abrupt event where a ring (I suspect it is friction fit) on the transfer shaft slips which then allows the shaft to shift back and forth allowing gears to hit each other or rub against the housing.  In my case the corners of all teeth on one gear were sheared off, groves were worn in the housing (as pictured by Ford) and the end of the shaft eventually wore a hole through the housing.  The bearings were still amazingly good.  This problem has nothing to do with the prior condition of the fluid.
  • What we feel good about doing is often based on what we've heard and how we interpret it, not engineering data.  Personally, anyone can change fluid as they like, but for other folks reading this forum, we shouldn't suggest that deviating from the published schedule is recommended or will provide longer life.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/12/2022 at 1:06 AM, Lacienega said:

How much do they charge for the transmission fluid change?

It was about $250 for the drain and fill.

I took the car for a long drive on back roads today to charge the battery and try out the transmission.  No issues so far -- other than a low tire pressure warning.  Pulled over to check and the back tires were low .. one about 10 psi and the other about 20 psi .. no punctures .. I don't know if this is because it was sitting on the rack for a while, or maybe the crazy temp swings we've been having here in the Northeast US.  I filled them back up and they've been fine since.

Edited by jestevens

On 11/13/2022 at 11:24 AM, jzchen said:

A tire shop should hopefully be able to find any slow leak causes.  Thanks for sharing about your transmission fluid change experience and cost.

Indeed, as it turns out I got screwed in the rear driver's side tire last weekend. I could not feel it by hand.  A local shop plugged it for free.

Edited by jestevens