Backside getting so Dirty

LizM

I wouldn't think that the rear mudflaps would do much toward keeping the dirt off the rear of the car.  Most of that grime is coming up off the road as the air currents flow up the back of the car.  It is a problem with all mostly flat backed vehicles.  I have put 2500 highway miles on my White SEL in the past two and a half weeks, a great deal of it in less than stellar weather, and the rear of the car is always filthy.  I am not an engineer and this is merely an observation from the many flat backed cares I have owned over the past forty years.

The only flat backed cars that I've had in the past were the GMC Jimmy, and two Ford Aerostars...I don't remember the back end getting so much dirtier than the rest of the car.   Oh, well, I guess I will be washing it off a lot with all of this salt, etc. on the roads. Thanks for your input.

Every minivan or hatchback will have a similar problem. It's the big airfoil which occurs at the back of the vehicle which is essentially still air. It allows the dirt to accumulate.

That's why they put wipers on flat backed vehicles - but not on others...

One solution used on SUVs or vans is the aftermarket wing type thing which goes at the top edge to push air down across the window. That prevents the stalled air and then the dirt won't just land on the window.

I have had this same pattern on a Chevy Astro, Chevy Venture, Dodge Caravan, and Jeep Liberty.

I had a Subaru Impreza WRX sportwagon some years ago, and it had a really nice spoiler at the back that directed airflow down the rear window. That window generally stayed clean most of the time, I don't recall ever needing the rear wiper.

But I guess the aerodynamic engineers decided that type of spoiler wasn't as good for vehicle mpg, even if it kept the rear clean, so it doesn't see more usage.

Edited by MikeB