C-MAX, Prius and Prius V

rkk

I still wouldn't buy a Prius for the reasons you mention, if I needed to drive primarily highway diesel is the most efficient option. You have a spare tire, no loss of trunk capacity, or additional battery weight to lug around. Diesel engines have inherently higher thermal efficiency than Atkins cycle gasoline engines.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/01/hybrids-diesels-do-they-save-money/index.htm?loginMethod=auto&copyrightYear=2013

IMO a diesel TDI improvement in mpg's doesn't make up for the cost differential for diesel vs reg.

IMO a diesel TDI improvement in mpg's doesn't make up for the cost differential for diesel vs reg.

The Southeast has a bigger differential than many other parts of the country.  I was amazed last year when we were there that diesel was like 40 cents more per gallon than regular unleaded!

Here in the northwest diesel runs just about the same price as Plus.  Except at Chevron who thinks they can charge 30 cents more than anyone else....

I have had two VW TDIs and let me tell you, their highway performance is OUTSTANDING.  We only traded for the C-Max because 99% of our driving is in town, and very urban town at that.  So our economy in the TDI was in the mid 20s city.  Whereas I can do almost all I need on a daily basis in EV using our Energi model.  Our Energi highway mileage is not as good as our TDI was but is good enough.

You may be right though, the cost difference would be minimal anywhere diesel costs are high.  But it may be worth it for a highway driver just for the amazing torque and cruising capability of the VWAG TDI vehicles.  They are so so nice...

I would love a TDI plug-in hybrid - but it would cost so much money since the TDI costs more than a normal version and a Hybrid costs more than a normal version, and a plug-in costs more than a hybrid - so the combination of the three would be really expensive.  But it would be really awesome!!!

:)

The Southeast has a bigger differential than many other parts of the country.  I was amazed last year when we were there that diesel was like 40 cents more per gallon than regular unleaded!

Here in the northwest diesel runs just about the same price as Plus.  Except at Chevron who thinks they can charge 30 cents more than anyone else....

I have had two VW TDIs and let me tell you, their highway performance is OUTSTANDING.  We only traded for the C-Max because 99% of our driving is in town, and very urban town at that.  So our economy in the TDI was in the mid 20s city.  Whereas I can do almost all I need on a daily basis in EV using our Energi model.  Our Energi highway mileage is not as good as our TDI was but is good enough.

You may be right though, the cost difference would be minimal anywhere diesel costs are high.  But it may be worth it for a highway driver just for the amazing torque and cruising capability of the VWAG TDI vehicles.  They are so so nice...

I would love a TDI plug-in hybrid - but it would cost so much money since the TDI costs more than a normal version and a Hybrid costs more than a normal version, and a plug-in costs more than a hybrid - so the combination of the three would be really expensive.  But it would be really awesome!!!

A VW Diesel Hybrid may be coming sooner than you think.

http://jalopnik.com/5975690/vw-crossblue-concept-screw-you-were-making-a-diesel-hybrid-suv-out-of-a-golf

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-extended-range-crossblue-suv-gets-production-approval-for-us/

I also had two TDI Jetta's 2003 wagon,47mpg and 2006 sedan auto,42mpg. I liked the wagon but I hated the service and warranty sucked. I had a plastic fuel leak that took them 5 times to figure. They wanted to replace my fuel tank and pick for $800 and make me pay for it instead of warrantying it and all along it was a $5 plastic hose from filter to injector pump. It should cost over $100 for oil change, My F250 PowerStroke is less than that. Nice cars bad service.  

Yeah, the worst part about VWaG is the dealer. :)

But I have also had crap service from a Dodge dealer too.

My closest Ford dealer is lame but I was happy with the folks I bought from - sadly they are all the way across town. :(

I got all my TDI work done at independent shops who sent their guys to Germany for certs from VW - better than any dealers in the area. They were cheaper too, and used better materials. Crazy how they could stay in business for two decades with lower prices AND better service than the dealers!

Yeah, the worst part about VWaG is the dealer. :)

But I have also had crap service from a Dodge dealer too.

My closest Ford dealer is lame but I was happy with the folks I bought from - sadly they are all the way across town. :(

I got all my TDI work done at independent shops who sent their guys to Germany for certs from VW - better than any dealers in the area. They were cheaper too, and used better materials. Crazy how they could stay in business for two decades with lower prices AND better service than the dealers!

Did they do warranty work? Also I have had 5 tanks 46.5mpg hwy or better and it's not harm yet. Fortunately my Ford Dealer is 7mi away but their not electric and oil change is only $30 with mail in rebate.

I also had two TDI Jetta's 2003 wagon,47mpg and 2006 sedan auto,42mpg. I liked the wagon but I hated the service and warranty sucked. I had a plastic fuel leak that took them 5 times to figure. They wanted to replace my fuel tank and pick for $800 and make me pay for it instead of warrantying it and all along it was a $5 plastic hose from filter to injector pump. It should cost over $100 for oil change, My F250 PowerStroke is less than that. Nice cars bad service.  

2009+ model VWs give you 3 years of free oil changes and maintenance.

You can get bad dealers with any brand. My Subaru dealer in Plano couldn't change the oil and tighten the drain plug properly. The Subie had a wheel bearing go after the wife hit a curb in the ice and the dealer charged $500.00 for a replacement that they clearly did not do. Tried to say I must have hit another curb after taking it to another dealer who discovered the bearing was still bad. Called Subaru Customer Service and they sided with the dealer. Service doesn't get much worse than that.

I only traded my 2010 Jetta TDI for the C-Max for concern of losing my high pressure fuel pump. That design was changed starting with my Passat TDI and last month VW registered 30% TDI option for all Passats sold.

Edited by darrelld

2009+ model VWs give you 3 years of free oil changes and maintenance.

You can get bad dealers with any brand. My Subaru dealer in Plano couldn't change the oil and tighten the drain plug properly. The Subie had a wheel bearing go after the wife hit a curb in the ice and the dealer charged $500.00 for a replacement that they clearly did not do. Tried to say I must have hit another curb after taking it to another dealer who discovered the bearing was still bad. Called Subaru Customer Service and they sided with the dealer. Service doesn't get much worse than that.

I only traded my 2010 Jetta TDI for the C-Max for concern of losing my high pressure fuel pump. That design was changed starting with my Passat TDI and last month VW registered 30% TDI option for all Passats sold.

Your experience with Subaru sounds like mine with VW. I believe they had so many complains that they were forced to improve their Warranty and include oil change to get customers back or to get new ones. I really haven't had any problems with all the fords I have had and the few problems they fixed no questions asked. Works for me. :) 

Your experience with Subaru sounds like mine with VW. I believe they had so many complains that they were forced to improve their Warranty and include oil change to get customers back or to get new ones. I really haven't had any problems with all the fords I have had and the few problems they fixed no questions asked. Works for me. :)

I have had good luck with Fords, owned 3 Mustangs and 2 F150s. If something happened to my Passat I would probably go for a Fusion Hybrid Titanium.

• 2 months later...

when i read about the crossblue i was excited as that would have been the perfect car 4 my wife as she loves suvs. but cant wait that long 4 it to cone out so... looking at the cmax now

the vw x blue is a NICE looking car

quoted text:

A VW Diesel Hybrid may be coming sooner than you think.

http://jalopnik.com/5975690/vw-crossblue-concept-screw-you-were-making-a-diesel-hybrid-suv-out-of-a-golf

http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-extended-range-crossblue-suv-gets-production-approval-for-

Edited by salsaguy

@darrelld looks like u and i will have similar family of cars with the passat and cmaxes. i dont have the tdi as i dont drive  enough hwy driving to do diesel. i do love being able to use regular gas again after  last 2 rides used premium (2004.5 VW Passat GLX and 1995 Ford Probe GT)

@darrelld looks like u and i will have similar family of cars with the passat and cmaxes. i dont have the tdi as i dont drive  enough hwy driving to do diesel. i do love being able to use regular gas again after  last 2 rides used premium (2004.5 VW Passat GLX and 1995 Ford Probe GT)

My wife drives the C-Max primary, I drive mostly urban with a 500 miles road trip every 8 weeks or so to visit family. Nice having a spare tire for those parts of Texas with a number of miles between towns.