EPA evaluating how it rates gas mileage for hybrids

ScooterS

>>>The EPA's evaluation could result in changes in the labeling that EPA requires on cars' window stickers and in consumer information it offers on its website, said Grundler.   One problem, he said, is that the newest hybrids are extra sensitive to driving habits. A hybrid driven aggressively might get far worse gas mileage than its window-sticker rating. "If you drive a hybrid the way you drive your Porsche, you are going to get less (gas mileage) than the national average.">>>

Really, as if this is not true about every car.  Before our C-Max we had a 2000 Honda Insight for 12+ years  - the mpg on that car was hypersensitive to driving style, temperature (both hot and cold), rain and other factors.

I believe the EPA's tests attempt to encompass too many variable in two numbers city and highway FE that simply don't apply for most drivers.  There is no way that these tests can cover the combination of real world conditions and driver style.  EPA needs to re-examine the intent of the FE numbers especially as cars become more efficient and driving conditions and style have a larger impact on the FE numbers.  I don't believe two numbers can adequately capture their original intent. 

I believe there needs to be virtually an unlimited set of FE numbers where the prospective buyer can input various driving conditions and style and get a custom set of FE numbers.  Why not develop sets of curves of speed vs FE  like constant speeds and stop & go driving and so forth under several varied conditions like ambient temperatures, number of stops per mile, use of a/c and so forth. Then, the consumer can chose what might be more in line with their driving conditions and style and the % of time that they operate under such curves.  Have interactive software at dealers, EPA web site, and so forth so the consumer can run comparative numbers for different vehicles.  Also, I can't believe that manufacturers haven't already developed software to simulate emissions, FE and so forth for their vehicles under virtually all operating conditions.

With the CMAX the temp has as much an effect as driving style on FE. Then there is short trips 1-5mi that can kill FE. I doubt the EPA will come up with anything complicated, maybe more conservative approach and use 10% ethanol. When you look at Fuelly you have a range from 30 to 55mpg so some people are getting twice the FE than others.  The Prius V has a range of 34 to 52mpg which may say something about drivers being previous Prius drivers. IMO I think CMAX can get better city than Prius V but probable not hwy.