EV mode driving maximizing

edman951

Software/Chip mod for added EV+ capability? 

Hi everyone, after driving an early 1980's vehicle since 2006, we are finally new CMAX owners and we love our car. One thing I've noticed is that even with a very gentle foot on the accelerator, it seems quite difficult to keep the car in EV mode even under relatively flat road conditions. When in EV+ mode, by contrast, the car will allow some acceptably quick acceleration. I find the experience of driving in EV+ mode to be a lot of fun, and I wish there was a way to keep it in that mode more often, I fantasize that a method could be developed whereby we are able to toggle EV+ mode on/off at will. 

I read in the user's manual that the car was designed to try to keep its batteries in a medium-charged state, meaning that when the charge gets below 1/2 way, the ICE will kick on to charge, and when above 1/2 charge, the car will allow more EV discharge. 

Has anyone heard of a CPU mod or chip mod (similar to the CPU modifications import tuners make to their cars for added power) that can be done to the CMAX to cause it to enter EV+ mode more often? Or a mod whereby a user can select EV+ mode at will?

I don't know what kind of effect doing so would have on the batteries and their longevity, however it seems to me that being able to provoke the EV+ mode more often would make better use of the car's EV capabilities and certainly engender better MPG. 

Another thing I've noticed is that EV+ mode ONLY comes on near my home. It hasn't come on near any other location, such as my job my son's school, and other frequent destinations. I read that the car is supposed to learn my "frequent destinations" within 2 - 4 weeks, but after about 2 months of ownership, so far it's only "learned" my home. 

Thanks all! 

First off, welcome to the forum. Concerning EV+, the onboard GPS will save 3-4 frequent destinations. Do you have Sync with MFT?

One trick I've learned is to use NAV everywhere I go, even if I can drive the route in my sleep. I've noticed by watching gauges, that when I use NAV that the closer I get to the destination/waypoint I am in EV more, compared to not using NAV.

My point is that it needs to be considering when thinking about costs.

So when considering the price of an Energi, and the cost of fuel and break-even periods - I think it is important to consider the full costs.

We can't continue to hide the costs of our decisions.

Securing the oil supply chain has a definite cost to the tax-payer. So does environmental remediation. Americans are sheltered from considering those numbers but instead focus on only the retail price of gas at the pump.

Every mile driven on electricity reduces those external costs.

Even the dirtiest coal powered electricity has less of an environmental impact than petroleum.

Electricity generated by solar, or wind, or geothermal has almost no national security costs compared to petroleum. Electricity produced by coal or natural gas also has almost no national security price tag. Nuclear power commands a small national security price tag. Petroleum carries a massive national security cost.

That's all I am saying.

We can pay for occupations in the Middle East, or we can pay for a bigger battery in the car.

I am not creating an ideological or political issue - more a financial one. Everything costs money. If we had to pay the full price of what gasoline actually costs us - we would be paying easily $10 a gallon if not more.

But conservatively lets just say that there is a 25% cost to securing and cleaning up the petroleum supply lines. Gasoline goes up almost a dollar a gallon then.

Does that make any sense?

I am reading a very interesting book - The Fifth Discipline by Peter Senge.  Peter is from MIT and the book is an introduction to Systems Thinking in the context of organizational learning.  Though written for those in the business domain its premises can be applied broadly. The gist is as humans we aren't good at contemplating broader systems and the implications our actions / decisions have holistically.  He defines some "archetypes" that represent the typical traps we fall into that cause unintended consequences and harm.  I haven't finished the book yet but am intrigued by ethical / moral foundation of thinking holistically.  

With complex systems it is difficult to understand unintended consequences of our actions and maybe even more difficult to weigh the true benefits versus sacrifices. Gasoline engines have no doubt been instrumental in the development of our modern societies and provide an essential function that would be very difficult to live without. I doubt we could produce enough batteries to replace all the gas engines in the world and who knows what the consequences of trying that would be.  

In regards to international markets and political concerns regarding petroleum producers, taking a reductionist view that ties global security and "occupation" policies to my driving a hybrid is intriguing.  There is no doubt driving a hybrid saves me gas but I'll reserve claims regarding world peace and a pristine environment.   :)

Edited by nsteblay