14,000 miles and counting (lessons learned)

Recumpence

Hey Everyone,

Well, my Max logged 14,000 miles as of today! I believe that makes me the high miler on this forum (or any other forum for that matter). I use my Max for daily appliance repair work. So, I plan on driving upwards of 40,000 miles per year. I feel like I should apply as a beta tester for Ford.   :~)

Anyway, I wanted to let you guys know I am hovering right at 44mpg lifetime mileage and this is 100% winter driving. It is about 90% town to town, however. On the expressway in the winter weather I average around 42mpg (I do use a grille cover). Also, bear in mind, I have 300 pounds of equipment in my car at all times and I have electronic equipment plugged in all the time as well. So, I believe I am a worse case scinerio for this car other than using the grille cover.

I have noticed that the first 2 hours of town to town use is noticeably lower mpg. I know the first few minutes is an issue with all cars, hybrids especially. But, when driven for the entire day, the mileage really begins to climb. When the weather goes above 50 degrees (we have had a few days like that this winter), my mileage soars to over 52mpg and that is not just one day. It is consistant, if the temp is over 50 degrees, so is my mpg. ANother thing I noticed that I have not heard anyone address is the electric assist when driving over 62mph. The engine will never shut off at that speed, but I notice the electric cycling from regen to assist depending on the grade of the road, thus evening out the mpg. I point this out because on other forums, where C-Max bashing happens releatedly (or hybrid bashing in general) the comment is constanly made that "Above 62mph, the hybrid components are just along for the ride adding weight and cost and do nothing for the MPG". This is not true. The electric equipment cycle on and off in highway driving in concert with the engine to maximize fuel economy.

I will keep you all posted as my mileage climbs through the stratusphere.   :~)

Matt

Congrats on your high mileage (I guess)! :)  We'll likely see how long the HV batteries last at that rate of mileage accumulation in a few years.

I'm curious as to whether you have tried to determine the effect of the grill covers on your FE.  

Also, could the first 2 hours of lower FE be because the ambient temperature is usually lower in the morning than in the afternoon?  That effect is very noticeable in Phoenix where one can have a 30+ *F temperature difference between 8 am and 2 pm.  Ford states "a temperature difference 40 °F and 70 °F can result in a 5 mpg difference."

Since you have 14 k miles on your car and well past break-in, do you have an estimate of your FE at steady highway speeds of say 65, 70, and 75 mph?  I wonder how your FE compares to the graph below.

Lastly, what are your typical driving conditions when you see 50+ mpg for example, speeds and distance, terrain and so forth. Do you use any special driving techniques to achieve that?

C-MAX_vs_Prius_v_vs_Prius_liftback.jpg

The only difference in my driving between the 44mpg and 52mpg is temperature. Nearly all of my driving is town to town with precious little in the expressway. Most driving is done 35 to 40mph.

I am going on a 900 mile round trip this weekend. So, I will have some very good highway speed extended driving to give you guys a FE report.

We took it on a 120 mile highway drive when it was first bought and averaged 42mpg at 70mph (no grille cover). I have seen about 1mpg gain with the grille cover in town. Highway would be higher, I would assume.

Also, I plan on doing some more serious aero mods on it this summer.

Matt

The only difference in my driving between the 44mpg and 52mpg is temperature. Nearly all of my driving is town to town with precious little in the expressway. Most driving is done 35 to 40mph.

I am going on a 900 mile round trip this weekend. So, I will have some very good highway speed extended driving to give you guys a FE report.

We took it on a 120 mile highway drive when it was first bought and averaged 42mpg at 70mph (no grille cover). I have seen about 1mpg gain with the grille cover in town. Highway would be higher, I would assume.

Also, I plan on doing some more serious aero mods on it this summer.

Matt

Aero Mods?  You caught my attention since I've been wanting to do the same but do not know where any items can be purchased for the C-Max.  Nobody carries them.  Are you planing to make your own?  I was toying with the idea of attaching a universal carbon fiber air disfuser under the front bumper.  Also wanting to fabricate a rear disfuser but not sure how and not wanting to disable the hands-free tailgate function.  Also a low profile roof wing of some design located on the factories poor excuse for a rear spoiler.

Edited by mtb9153

Congrats on your high mileage (I guess)! :)  We'll likely see how long the HV batteries last at that rate of mileage accumulation in a few years.

I'm curious as to whether you have tried to determine the effect of the grill covers on your FE.  

Also, could the first 2 hours of lower FE be because the ambient temperature is usually lower in the morning than in the afternoon?  That effect is very noticeable in Phoenix where one can have a 30+ *F temperature difference between 8 am and 2 pm.  Ford states "a temperature difference 40 °F and 70 °F can result in a 5 mpg difference."

Since you have 14 k miles on your car and well past break-in, do you have an estimate of your FE at steady highway speeds of say 65, 70, and 75 mph?  I wonder how your FE compares to the graph below.

Lastly, what are your typical driving conditions when you see 50+ mpg for example, speeds and distance, terrain and so forth. Do you use any special driving techniques to achieve that?

C-MAX_vs_Prius_v_vs_Prius_liftback.jpg

This is not what I've been experiencing.  I am seeing much better mileage than 38 when traveling at 70 MPG over a decent distance on a fully charged battery.