MPG After First Oil Change?

ScooterS

I started out at about 44 MPG with my second fill-up. Since then it has dropped a bit to about 41MPG.  On the other hand, I'm not working quite as hard at my Hybrid Driving as I did at first. I'm at about 4,000 miles and have an oil change coming up.

Have any of you noticed a significant increase in gas mileage after your first oil change?  I suspect that getting rid of the as-built contaminents should help things a bit.

I swapped out the factory fill well before 1,000 miles and while I saw a slight mpg improvement there were too many other variables (wind, temps, driving methods, etc.).  I can't imagine any sort of significant increase from merely changing oil, though.

I don't think changing the oil at 4K will have that much of an affect on MPG.  That said, going from a semi-synthetic oil  to full synthetic should provide better protection for the engine, as well as getting the break in contaminants out.  I had a few very small flakes of metal in my first oil change, and the oil had an ugly, murky brownish green tint to it.

Don't want to get into an oil debate, but I don't think anyone can doubt that break in oil has some small, even if you can't see it, break in metal, which I'm sure a Blackstone Lab oil test can prove.  

But I changed our oil at 600 miles, and the MPG has been getting better and better, almost every trip higher than the last.  But that is most likely due break in, not the oil itself.  Funny part was, the day after the oil change, the car got over 51 MPG on a short trip, which was better than it ever had done before.  Probably just the type of trip, short and slow. 

Unless the oil is totally broken down/used/beyond the change interval, there shouldn't be a notable change in MPG.  And at 4K, your car is pretty much broke in.  Still, I'd change the oil.  A Motocraft filter and 5 quarts of Mobil 1 is only 30 bucks at wally world, cheap I'd say, won't hurt, but could possibly help. 

How easy is it to change the oil and filter on the CMax?  My dealer provides free oil changes for as long as I own it, but I suspect its not with Mobil 1.  I've stopped changing oil myself in recent years but with this one requiring it so infrequently I might re-start if its easy.

Ignore - I see the Oil Change thread and will read all about it there!

Edited by ArizonaEnergi