Ford, GM trump Toyota as brands win return buyers, Experian says

darrelld

DETROIT (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co., gaining ground over Japanese automakers with their most stylish sedans and small cars since the 1970s, are topping Toyota Motor Corp. in customer loyalty, researcher Experian Automotive said.

Of Ford vehicle owners who returned to buy another auto in the fourth quarter, 47.9 percent bought a Ford or Lincoln, Experian said today in a report. GM’s loyalty rate was 47.7 percent, followed by Toyota at 46.9 percent.

I heard this story on the radio (in the C-MAX).  It said the US automakers are really gaining market share with the younger crowd which for the last 30 years have leaned to foreign auto makers.  

Ford and GM only started offering competitve small cars in the last few years. I thought the Focus loaner I drove while my C-Max was in for service was a nice car for the class. GM's best seller is the Chevy Cruze and a coworker who used to own imports now owns one.

The Cruze Diesel is coming to dealer lots in a few months and will prove an interesting economical option for those not afraid of filling up at the D2 pump.