More detailed/advanced vehicle data/PIDs

cr08

Long story made short: A user over on the Cyanlabs Discord was gracious enough to remind me of an old Github repo run by the Comma AI group with some openly available DBC files that include some Ford related files.

In layman's terms, DBC files are an open format to translate raw CAN bits to human readable 'dictionaries' for various data points the vehicle spits out on the CAN buses.

commaai/opendbc: democratize access to car decoder rings (github.com)

Reviewing the databases for Ford, there are some interesting HEV related data points included that are currently not available in the known PID listings. For example there's two for 'ICE off hours at key on', one for the current trip, the other assuming over the life of the vehicle. Granted these are not noted for the C-Max specifically but in my educated experience, they should be universal in theory across the board for any modern Ford hybrid vehicle.

Basically just throwing this out here as an FYI if anyone else wants to check it out. I have some ulterior motives for this data (I want to try and develop a microcontroller that can log detailed trip data at the end of the trip and potentially upload it somewhere since the 4G TCU's currently seem to be hit or miss, and a complete miss on my 2013, for providing any trip data in FordPass. Secondary is rehashing an old project idea to implement an intelligently controlled secondary exhaust fan on the HVB to try and aid in cooling.) but with free time and energy at a premium, I'm not gonna promise any specifics at this time.