3.5.1......Anyone? Anyone?

My SEL with Nav was updated today...took dealer only 1 hr 20 min. Had to connect my iPhone 4S since i had disconnected it when I dropped it off. I like the temp showing above the Nav screen. I called the dealer at 7:00 am and got it there at 7:50...out at 9:10. Great dealer in Denton TX.

Plus,

The MyFord Touch Supplement (link) has better information for MFT.

On page 9 it says:

Help!

Your touchscreen system has a help feature which you can access at any

time.

To access:

1. Press Menu > Help.

2. From this screen you can access:

Where am I?: Select to view the vehicle’s current location. If your

vehicle is equipped with navigation, you will see your location on a

map. If your vehicle is not equipped with navigation, or if your SD

card is not inserted, you will receive your vehicle’s latitude and

longitude.

Thanks, I should have checked the MFT Supplement also  But, here's the problem though and that is the owner's manual is dated later than the supplement.  Here's what is says in the manual:

Where Am I? View the vehicle’s current location, if your
vehicle is equipped with navigation. If your
vehicle is not equipped with navigation,
nothing is displayed.

I'll call CS as if the data is displayed, it should be accurate.

Again though can those without NAV check to see what's in Where am I?

Plus,

Has the service tech done TSB 13-3-11 to reprogram the GPSM?  It should be done even if you don't have the NAV option.

No.  I have tried (although not recently) the Sync Voice Navigation and it worked great as it knew where I was as evidenced by being told when to turn. I'll try it again and see if it is any different.

Edit: I just used SVN and it works fine.  It knows exactly where I am along the route but the Where I Am coordinates place me 46.8 miles due East of my current location.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I took Max in this morning for the 3.5.1 update. When I first took it in they told me it would be about an hour. After waiting for an hour they came to the waiting room with a loaner car. I miss Max but they loaned me a brand new Escape. It's amazing how easy it is to get used to since the interiors are almost identical. It's a very nice car except that I was only getting 18 mpg. The first thing I did when I got in the car was change the left view to average mpg. I think I'm addicted to Hybrids lol. Hopefully I'll have mine back tomorrow. I'd hate to fill up the escape tank instead of Max.

I took Max in this morning for the 3.5.1 update. When I first took it in they told me it would be about an hour. After waiting for an hour they came to the waiting room with a loaner car. I miss Max but they loaned me a brand new Escape. It's amazing how easy it is to get used to since the interiors are almost identical. It's a very nice car except that I was only getting 18 mpg. The first thing I did when I got in the car was change the left view to average mpg. I think I'm addicted to Hybrids lol. Hopefully I'll have mine back tomorrow. I'd hate to fill up the escape tank instead of Max.

HAHAHA! That's what I got to drive during my upgrade, and exactly what I did.....switch the screen!! I'm hopelessly hooked!

I had a 2013 Escape for a while last year after an accident I had with my 2009 FEH. They are very similar. When I traded for the C-Max once they came out, it really felt like I was driving the Escape.

Edited by rmcmast

I discovered a difference with MFT 3.5.1 and my iPhone 5 when connected via USB. Before 3.5.1 and even in my old 2009 FEH, you could not see the music app or select anything with it. There was some message and a white screen on the iPhone. You could only control the music on the iPhone via the MFT screen, or voice commands. Now you can also select your tracks or playlists right on the phone.

No joy.

Took the Energi in at 7:30AM. Got the shuttle to home, which also picked us up at 3:00. Car was ready at 5:00. Or so everyone thought. When I got in and started it I got an SD Card error, and the navigation screen would not come up. Tech came and tried a few times with same results. We were given a rent car (Lincoln MKZ - a $48k car - the CMax is better) and hopefully tomorrow will get a call that a re-install worked.

Got a signed letter from Ford Corporate a few days ago. They want me to call them regarding a survey I filled out at some point. They want more information. I'll be waiting until my CMax is fixed, and definitely working, before I call them.

I got the CMax back.  Has the Update.  Everything worked fine on the 30 minute drive home.

As a side note, when I first got the car, the touch screen was not working right.  When I tapped "phone" it took me to the climate screen.  Took it right back in, the service manager (who is the sync expert) came out and showed me how to calibrate the touch screen.  Once we did that, everything was fine.  Thanks to everyone for keeping this forum up to date!

The SA got back to me and read an email from a Ford Engineer about my issue. Bottom line: it's not updated in cars without NAV. But I told the SA it changes as one drives and the latitude is correct but not the longitude. SA suggested I go through CS.

So, I looked up Where am I in the manual and it says that cars without NAV nothing is displayed. Do others without NAV and MFT, have accurate coordinates and altitude displayed? Or is there nothing displayed?

I have the display (MFT, no NAV).  Don't know if it's accurate.  I'll update this when I find out.t:t

Edit:  Coordinates are about 10 miles off.  It thinks I'm South-East of my actual location.  In a reservoir no less!

Edit2:  Sigh!  (Let's get that out of the way up front.)

I'm now the owner of MFT 3.5.1.  First the good news:

1. Outside air temp is now displayed at the top of the MFT screen where it can be seen.

Will have to wait to see about:

1. SYNC "unable to locate vehicle".
  2. Clock accuracy.
  3. Unable to turn off radio after vehicle is shut off.
  4. Radio turns on (not back on) after completion of incoming phone call.
  5. Rear view camera error message (I don't have a rear view camera).

What isn't fixed and I guess never will be:

1. Unable to set clock via GPS.  (I don't expect it to update across time zones or for Daylight Savings Time.)

And finally, (drum roll please) what's worse:

1.   GPS "Where am I" location went from some 10 miles inaccurate to well over 100 miles off!  I'm now in Massachusetts!

And now, a quick 3.5.1 FYI; the outside temperature initially showed 60 degrees F (it was 90+ in reality).  Apparently, the display has to recalibrate itself.  Wish I knew that before making a hasty U-turn to return to the dealer.  Anyway, it only took a mile or two to fix.  (One wonders to what does it calibrate.)

Edited by Bill-N

Hannah how does one calibrate the touch screen? Thanks.

I have not tried this since I watched him but, hold down the CD eject and the right seek button. The stereo will start playing tones cycling through each speaker. Then press and hold the left seek. This should bring up the calibration screen. When finished, the screen says to press enter to exit this screen, but we had to turn the car off. Hope this helps.

The SA got back to me and read an email from a Ford Engineer about my issue. Bottom line: it's not updated in cars without NAV. But I told the SA it changes as one drives and the latitude is correct but not the longitude. SA suggested I go through CS.

So, I looked up Where am I in the manual and it says that cars without NAV nothing is displayed. Do others without NAV and MFT, have accurate coordinates and altitude displayed? Or is there nothing displayed?

I checked my MFT screen. I do not have NAV, but when I pressed the Where Am I? button, I got a latitude and longitude display. The latitude is correct, but the longitude is a few miles off. It thinks that my C-Max, which is parked in my garage, is sitting on a runway at Waukegan Regional Airport!

I got my 3.5.1 update on May 25, less than a week ago.

I checked my MFT screen. I do not have NAV, but when I pressed the Where Am I? button, I got a latitude and longitude display. The latitude is correct, but the longitude is a few miles off. It thinks that my C-Max, which is parked in my garage, is sitting on a runway at Waukegan Regional Airport!

I got my 3.5.1 update on May 25, less than a week ago.

LOL, at least it not nearly 50 miles off like mine.

IMHO, regardless of what the owner's manual says (nothing is displayed) and the Ford engineer's response to dealer (SA is to provide a copy), if the values are displayed they should be correct.  IMHO, it's a safety issue as one might give the Where am I coordinates in giving directions in case of an emergency.  BTW my I-Phone coordinates are spot on.

If I understood the response correctly when the SA read it to me, it's about software not updating the coordinates frequently enough to be accurate.  Of course, I doubt my car (in it's 31 miles from to me taking possession) was in the middle of a National Forest 50 miles East of my home and 85 miles from the dealer.  But when I used Sync Voice Navigation, the directions where spot on, the lat. and long. were updating but the longitude was always about 50 miles east.

Once I get everything together I will open a case with Ford CS and see what happens.

If you have the "911 Assist" option enabled, it would be critical to have accurate coordinates. 

I would consider it a safety issue, as well.

You can also see the GPS coordinates by going into the MFT diagnostics screen:

Turn the audio system on and set it to AM or FM mode

Press and hold the eject button.  Then within one second, press the "Seek up" button and hold for about 5 seconds.

Navigate to the GPS coordinates screen.

This might indicate if the GPSM module is off or the "Where am I" screen software is not updating correctly.

I have not tried this since I watched him but, hold down the CD eject and the right seek button. The stereo will start playing tones cycling through each speaker. Then press and hold the left seek. This should bring up the calibration screen. When finished, the screen says to press enter to exit this screen, but we had to turn the car off. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much Hannah.  I am copying this and printing.

Two days at the shop. Dealer calls me to say its done, I come in to pick it up and the system is locked up with an SD card error. Back into the shop she goes.

Fix Or Repair Daily

All I can say is good grief!  My husband just said, "I wonder if those techs even take the time to ground themselves before playing around with the delicate electronics?"  I had to ask him what he meant, but it makes sense to me.  You have to wonder if the techs in each dealership vary significantly with their skill levels?

Edited by Laurel

What does calibrating the touch screen accomplish or change?