Why C MAX ruined my Ford experience (not MPG related)

Meabn007

It isn't you, read the topic of this thread. You did everything correct except for believing Ford could write code....

Or how about apple using the standard SMS message protocol instead of going off on a tangent and creating their own little Imessage service subsystem that no one else in the universe uses? Had a 3GS prior to the advent of the infamous "imessage" app and it interfaced fine to the Escape that i had with sync.Soon as IOS 6 was applied with "imessage" it no longer worked

Edited by Wingrider01

Has anyone ventured off to syncmyride.com or fordsyncforum.com to see what's going on over there too?

Yes, that is where I learned I need to change the "show notifications" on my iPhone.

5.1? Oops. I hate updating. Something always goes wrong.

IIRC, you'll need iOS 6.x

I don't have the "Show Notifications" option either. iPhone 5 v6.1.3.

Hmm.  For settings>bluetooth>sync, are you touching the blue arrow on the sync selection to open a sub-menu to give you more options?

I believe the root of most Sync problems is its Windows Mobile operating system. Cadillac used a Windows Mobile based system in my previous 2004 CTS and it had lockups similar to the C-Max.

Cadillac has now wisely divorced themselves from the flawed Microsoft based system and moved to Linux.

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Cadillac-CUE/

Nice theory.  Too bad in reality the CUE system is rated more problematic than MFT.

Consumer Reports rates it worse than MFT  Consumer Reports Lambasts Cadillac's New CUE Syetem

system  http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/21/consumer-reports-lambasts-cadillacs-new-cue-system/

CUE suffers from severe lagging, runaway volume changes, lock ups, Bluetooth problems   Cadillac Rushing Update for Laggy CUE System

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/05/cadillac-rushing-update-for-laggy-cue-infotainment-system/

No workie either. iPhone 5 iOS version 6.1.3

Assured show notifications is on in the Bluetooth profile, configured sync. When I try to use the Message function, Sync tells me 'you have an incompatible device' (or something to that effect)

Oh well........

Full texting does not work with iOS devices due to Apple's MAP protocol not matching the industry standard. 

Apple needs to make changes on their end to make it work properly.

Edited by Maximus

Nice theory.  Too bad in reality the CUE system is rated more problematic than MFT.

Consumer Reports rates it worse than MFT  Consumer Reports Lambasts Cadillac's New CUE Syetem

system  http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/21/consumer-reports-lambasts-cadillacs-new-cue-system/

CUE suffers from severe lagging, runaway volume changes, lock ups, Bluetooth problems   Cadillac Rushing Update for Laggy CUE System

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/05/cadillac-rushing-update-for-laggy-cue-infotainment-system/

But unlike Ford, Cadillac is actually providing updates to owners not just setting dates they never meet.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/279518-cue-update-status-10.html

No workie either. iPhone 5 iOS version 6.1.3

Assured show notifications is on in the Bluetooth profile, configured sync. When I try to use the Message function, Sync tells me 'you have an incompatible device' (or something to that effect)

Oh well........

I also have 6.1.3 but I failed to mention in this thread that I have sync version 3.5.1 according to syncmyride.com; however, according to MFT it's 3.34.4     FWIW

Today I tried replying via voice commands but got the "incompatible phone" error also but at least the car will read them to me (trying to be an optimist!) :drool:  If it's important enough to respond to, I will call them back handsfree.  Which reminds me, MFT gives me three options when a text comes through while driving:  listen, cancel, or dial but the dial option doesn't initiate a call (it's not greyed out either).  Sigh...... lots of work still needed for this system.

But unlike Ford, Cadillac is actually providing updates to owners not just setting dates they never meet.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-user-experience-cue/279518-cue-update-status-10.html

But I thought you said Linux doesn't have problems?    Sure seems like a whole lotta problems to me.

Edited by Maximus

Meabn007 - about the intermittent automatic liftgate thingy... I thought mine had the same problem, and it turns out you just have to make sure not to get too close to the gate while swiping your foot under the car.  Works every time for me now.  I guess they don't want the gate to whack you in the chin.  :-)

But I thought you said Linux doesn't have problems?    Sure seems like a whole lotta problems to me.

I never said that.

There is a reason why Nasa chose Linux based systems for the Mars Rovers. The software company I used to work for did business with Nasa and our Linux systems controlled the Space Shuttle fuel loading and the Mars booster test systems.

I never said that.

There is a reason why Nasa chose Linux based systems for the Mars Rovers. The software company I used to work for did business with Nasa and our Linux systems controlled the Space Shuttle fuel loading and the Mars booster test systems.

More like there are "reasons". 

We use Linux for our products because A) it's free, B) we have full control over it because it's completely open source

In our case, it has nothing to do w/ performance or stability issues.  We have our share of them even w/ Linux.

It's a matter of choosing the right tool for the job.

More like there are "reasons". 

We use Linux for our products because A) it's free, B) we have full control over it because it's completely open source

In our case, it has nothing to do w/ performance or stability issues.  We have our share of them even w/ Linux.

It's a matter of choosing the right tool for the job.

Exactly and all software has bugs.

I know right after I left my company they were purchased by Siemens and picked up the Bejing Airport Baggage Handling project. Bejing decided to go with the WIndows version of our MMI product. Simultaneously we were contracted by ItaliaRail to integrate an upgrade to their existing system and they refused to go with Windows. We had not released any new versions of our Unix based products at that time but ItaliaRail insisted that we port to Linux as a condition of the the contract.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had any trouble syncing my Iphone 4S (with one exception: a couples times it didn't sync when I started the car.  I just activated voice, and said "phone", and was told "Sync is trying to connect to a phone"  then it connected).  You can't message with the Iphone through Sync itself, as far as I have experienced, but if you hold down the button on the phone to activate Siri, she will deal with you via the car mic/speakers, and anything she can do when you hold her in your hand she can do through the car (found that out by accident).

I haven't had any trouble syncing my Iphone 4S (with one exception: a couples times it didn't sync when I started the car.  I just activated voice, and said "phone", and was told "Sync is trying to connect to a phone"  then it connected).  You can't message with the Iphone through Sync itself, as far as I have experienced, but if you hold down the button on the phone to activate Siri, she will deal with you via the car mic/speakers, and anything she can do when you hold her in your hand she can do through the car (found that out by accident).

I'm not too concerned about using the phone. I just want to access my music and Spotify without holding the phone. The C Max has sync app functionality right?

I have a Droid Razr and my wife who will be getting the C-max has an iPod and Samsung phone so hopefully we wont have these issues. Apple is as much to blame as Ford

In this day and age we expect so much from our cars over and above just driving. They are becoming more complicated and require software updates!

Wonder how much MORE distracting cars have become themselves. wonder when they will say its too much.

I'm not too concerned about using the phone. I just want to access my music and Spotify without holding the phone. The C Max has sync app functionality right?

My Ford Touch does NOT have AppLink.  So for example, you can't thumbs up or thumbs down a song in Pandora through MFT.  If you have the non-MFT Sync, then you can.

In both systems once you have the phone connected over bluetooth, the sound will come through the car.