Virginia Is For Lovers - Of Fuel-Efficient Driving

SnowStorm

In Virginia ( :wub2: ) new drivers must learn how to save gas.  Code 22.1-205 says:

"The program shall include instruction concerning .... (vi) fuel-efficient driving practices,"happy%20feet.gif

Sorry guys, but this forum may become obsolete. :cry:

Any other states out there that care about saving gas?  Or does the Old Dominion remain;  One State To Lead Them All.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So they are requiring us to learn how to drive more efficiently, and then raise taxes ONLY on hybrids/EVs? 

After teaching everyone to drive more efficiently, they will have to raise taxes (again) on everyone for buying less gas.  

Edited by Hatchman

The cost to build and maintain roads doesn't decrease just because people use less gas.

OK, so why does a 47 mpg hybrid have to pay the tax, but a 41+ mpg VW TDI does not?  

This VW TDI here in VA gets 58 mpg, and doesn't have any extra TDI/Diesel tax.

http://thinkblue.vw.com/5882-mpg-guinness-world-record-set-by-jetta-tdi/

I'll just go do some burnouts in my Mustang, make sure I get the road wear I'm paying for.   :rockon:

Just kidding. 

Edited by Hatchman

OK, so why does a 47 mpg hybrid have to pay the tax, but a 41+ mpg VW TDI does not?  

This VW TDI here in VA gets 58 mpg, and doesn't have any extra TDI/Diesel tax.

Well, diesel fuel is assessed about 5 cents per gallon more in federal fuel taxes...

I think the main reason is that there just aren't that many diesel passenger cars sold in the US. It's a niche market, and as long as that's true, it won't affect the ability of states to maintain roads enough that they would need to be treated any differently. 

Well, diesel fuel is assessed about 5 cents per gallon more in federal fuel taxes...

I think the main reason is that there just aren't that many diesel passenger cars sold in the US. It's a niche market, and as long as that's true, it won't affect the ability of states to maintain roads enough that they would need to be treated any differently. 

OK, so TDIs aren't taxed because they are not enough of them.

Why are hybrid SUV's taxed and not a gasoline car that gets better gas mileage?  There are dozens of cars that get better gas mileage than a Lexus RX 450h, but the hybrid has to pay the extra tax and buy more gas, thus paying more tax.  I guess those hybrid SUVs really chew up the road, so they have to pay their "fair share".  

Edited by Hatchman

OK, so TDIs aren't taxed because they are not enough of them.

Why are hybrid SUV's taxed and not a gasoline car that gets better gas mileage?  There are dozens of cars that get better gas mileage than a Lexus RX 450h, but the hybrid has to pay the extra tax and buy more gas, thus paying more tax.  I guess those hybrid SUVs really chew up the road, so they have to pay their "fair share".  

In every regulation there's a tradeoff between complexity and rationality. A perfect law would charge each person exactly based on how much they contribute to the maintenance and expansion of the highway system. But to do so would be impossibly difficult to measure. 

And while it's true that particular hybrid doesn't get Prius-like milage, it does very much decrease fuel used compared to vehicles of the same weight/power class - which gets back to the point of "these vehicles are not contributing their fair share towards maintaining public infrastructure".