Some info. from Ford Canada on 3.5.1 update

Today I emailed Ford Canada to ask when we can expect the navigation 3.5.1 update, and I asked if the hold up was because we need more than a new SD card and perhaps some complicated module installed.  Here is my prompt response from them:

"This is the only information that we have been provided:

Why is the software for the electrified vehicles arriving so late? The electrified vehicles – Focus Electric, C-MAX Hybrid and Energi, Fusion Hybrid – have several specific updates beyond the updates in Version 3.5, including the power flow screen and charge location database.

It is my understanding that the update does not require a new module, and the installation will be similar to the non electric vehicles."

So I guess our screen and those damned Energi owners(LOL) who need info. on charging stations that is holding things up.  I was really pleased with the quick response.

Today I emailed Ford Canada to ask when we can expect the navigation 3.5.1 update, and I asked if the hold up was because we need more than a new SD card and perhaps some complicated module installed.  Here is my prompt response from them:

"This is the only information that we have been provided:

Why is the software for the electrified vehicles arriving so late? The electrified vehicles – Focus Electric, C-MAX Hybrid and Energi, Fusion Hybrid – have several specific updates beyond the updates in Version 3.5, including the power flow screen and charge location database.

It is my understanding that the update does not require a new module, and the installation will be similar to the non electric vehicles."

So I guess our screen and those damned Energi owners(LOL) who need info. on charging stations that is holding things up.  I was really pleased with the quick response.

That still doesn't make sense because they are already installing it in vehicles coming off the line.

the has been reports that the firmware on the PCM is causing the problem and they are "working on it, with no solution in sight" - the PCM is a easily replaced part on the car, rather then wasting all their people's time and money it would have been cheaper to recall the car and just fork lift the early adopters PCM module with the new ones but they have decided not take the route of no service and keep trying to fix the problem, they have been working on it for 4 months, beginning to believe that early adopters of the car will be left out in the cold again abd we wil never see it, like they have done before

Edited by Wingrider01

the has been reports that the firmware on the PCM is causing the problem and they are "working on it, with no solution in sight" - the PCM is a easily replaced part on the car, rather then wasting all their people's time and money it would have been cheaper to recall the car and just fork lift the early adopters PCM module with the new ones but they have decided not take the route of no service and keep trying to fix the problem, they have been working on it for 4 months, beginning to believe that early adopters of the car will be left out in the cold again abd we wil never see it, like they have done before

"cheaper to recall the car"

Sorry but Ford only recalls cars for safety related items.

A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) will eventually be issued.

Like they have done what before when?

"cheaper to recall the car"

Sorry but Ford only recalls cars for safety related items.

A TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) will eventually be issued.

Ford will probably issue a "Field Service Action" for the C-Max 3.5.1 Sync update when they are prepared to do so. 

This normally means a letter will be sent to the owner to tell them what to do for the update.

The attached letter is similar to what was sent to owners of non-electrified (non-hybrid/plug-in) vehicles for the 3.51 update.

Incidentally, Ford uses the term "Field Service Action" for NHTSA safety recalls as well.

R12A04F1.pdf

Ford will probably issue a "Field Service Action" for the C-Max 3.5.1 Sync update when they are prepared to do so. 

This normally means a letter will be sent to the owner to tell them what to do for the update.

The attached letter is similar to what was sent to owners of non-electrified (non-hybrid/plug-in) vehicles for the 3.51 update.

Incidentally, Ford uses the term "Field Service Action" for NHTSA safety recalls as well.

Thanks.  Very informative post.

According to a message from OASIS issued today:

Field service action 13A01 for the Fusion hybrid Sync 3.51 update has been released.

Owner letters of notification will be mailed week of 4/29/13.

FSA 13A01 states there will be a supplement coming shortly for the C-Max Hybrid.

The free update has to be done by the dealer since the PCM module needs to be reprogrammed using IDS.

Field service action 13A01 for the Fusion hybrid Sync 3.51 update has been released.

FSA 13A01 states there will be a supplement coming shortly for the C-Max Hybrid.

The free update has to be done by the dealer since the PCM module needs to be reprogrammed using IDS.

so what seems to be said that they released the update but the hybrid will still not be getting in for a undetermined period of time - definition of shortly in 3 or 4 months, so sill in "the checks in the mail" mode

Edited by Wingrider01

so what seems to be said that they released the update but the hybrid will still not be getting in for a undetermined period of time - definition of shortly in 3 or 4 months, so sill in "the checks in the mail" mode

proof read, PROOF read, PROOF READ

"Field service action 13A01 for the Fusion hybrid Sync 3.51 update has been released"

proof read, PROOF read, PROOF READ

"Field service action 13A01 for the Fusion hybrid Sync 3.51 update has been released"

Bottom line still in the top 4 falsehoods mentioned, used to be 3 before the c-mac 3.5.1 vaporware was announced. I drive a C-MAX not a fusion, so when I see it for my car then they have made good on a long delayed required update for the car. went back to using my 79.99 Garmin as a navigation system, at least that does not make turn left when I am in the middle of a bridge. Given the release of 3.5.1 was December 2012, their "shortly" should be around Christmas of 2013

Fusion >< C-Max, don't really care anything about the Fusion, don;t drive one don't own one, I care about the SDT that I bought - the C-Max, when that shows up then it will be relevant. Until then

1. The checks in the mail

2. ...

3. ....

4. the C-Max 3.5.1 upgrade with the A4 chip set is coming.

2 & 3 have been left out to prevent moderation, but we all know what that is

Like your signature, think I will use one like it myself

Build date 07/20/2012, Sync, MFT and Navigation failures, 34 MPG

Edited by Wingrider01

Bottom line still in the top 4 falsehoods mentioned, used to be 3 before the c-mac 3.5.1 vaporware was announced. I drive a C-MAX not a fusion, so when I see it for my car then they have made good on a long delayed required update for the car. went back to using my 79.99 Garmin as a navigation system, at least that does not make turn left when I am in the middle of a bridge. Given the release of 3.5.1 was December 2012, their "shortly" should be around Christmas of 2013

Fusion >< C-Max, don't really care anything about the Fusion, don;t drive one don't own one, I care about the SDT that I bought - the C-Max, when that shows up then it will be relevant. Until then

1. The checks in the mail

2. ...

3. ....

4. the C-Max 3.5.1 upgrade with the A4 chip set is coming.

2 & 3 have been left out to prevent moderation, but we all know what that is

Like your signature, think I will use one like it myself

Build date 07/20/2012, Sync, MFT and Navigation failures, 34 MPG

MOD Updated: No personal attacks please. We all know its frustrating, some work some doesn't, lets all keep it cool everyone  :)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Since I have a C-Max and Fusion I'll see if I can get my local dealer to update my Fusion using the FSA number.  At least then I'll be able to directly compare the new code to the old version in the C-Max.   It will be interesting to see what new bugs, I mean undocumented enhancements ;) , Microsoft has inflicted on us.... 

Since I have a C-Max and Fusion I'll see if I can get my local dealer to update my Fusion using the FSA number.  At least then I'll be able to directly compare the new code to the old version in the C-Max.   It will be interesting to see what new bugs, I mean undocumented enhancements ;) , Microsoft has inflicted on us.... 

They have to do something with their Millennium aka Vista teams  ;)

Ok...back to the topic.

Well that was way too easy...  I'm scheduled for tomorrow morning for the 3.5.1 / A4 card update on my FFH...  They want my Fusion for at least three hours to do the upgrade so it will be interesting to see what all it entails since the software install only is supposed to be around an hour.  

While I'm at the dealer I'll see what I can find out about the C-Max update that I need more than I do the Fusion update.  It must be harder to draw a power flow diagram on a C-Max background than on a Fusion is all I can figure....

Well that was way too easy... 

Easy to schedule anyway.... Our FFH is being kept in the shop while a new Sync PCIM module is being ordered.  It seems the new software and old firmware / hardware had some compatibility problems that knocked out the navigation completely....  Keep in mind this car was on 3.2.2 and was working fine when we took it in this morning.  But I have a good dealer who has given us a loaner Fusion while ours in the shop so no big issue...   I can hardly wait to give them the C-Max and see how that goes after this round... ;)   I'll post an update when the FFH is put back together and running on 3.5.1.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, lost track of the thread... :doh:   On Day 2 the Sync PCIM was reset by dealerships's MFT guru working with Ford's tech support.   After that the 3.5.1 code loaded with no other issues.   The 3.5.1 FFH version is a big improvement over 3.2.2 and the new Hybrid screen is really good.  It shows which power source, ICE or Battery, is being used and why the ICE is running.  My wife doesn't like it as it "rats out" her lead foot "Acceleration" and shows that the heater causes the ICE to run!  I did loose my XM/Sirius presets and phone pairings but pairing a phone is much easier in 3.5.1, all you do is confirm the number displayed rather than type in a code.   Hopefully 3.5.1 will become available for the C-Max soon....

Edited by RedLdr1

How different can they be?

Someone has to draw the C-Max versus a FFH for the new hybrid screen.  Beyond that there shouldn't be any changes....  But since 3.5.1 still is not available for the C-Max there must be another "issue" floating around out in bogus code land....

Someone has to draw the C-Max versus a FFH for the new hybrid screen.  Beyond that there shouldn't be any changes....  But since 3.5.1 still is not available for the C-Max there must be another "issue" floating around out in bogus code land....

It has been reported that there is a software flaw in the PCM rom on the C-Max's that where built prior to 1/1/2013, ford is "working" on developing a software fix, it has been suggested and ignored that the best "fix" is to forklift the old pcm out and put one of the newer ones in since it is a dealer replaceable part

• 2 weeks later...

Ford doesn't care.

We paid for the car, they have our money (or the bank's money) so they ignore us.

Never again will I buy a Ford. This is my second and last Ford. The first one was garbage, 20 years later an almost decent car except for the MyTouch crap and Ford's complete lack of concern.