New Radio for Ford C-Max

• 2 weeks later...

Currently there aren't any options for replacing the radio.  From what I've seen I suspect with time there will be option for the SE models with the 4.2 screen and standard radio.  I don't have high hopes for a replacement option for the MFT models.

Edited by dtorres

Yeah, at this point your best option would be to trade for a C-Max with those options from the factory. Sound expensive? After my aftermarket stereo upgrade nightmare, I'm inclined to think it would cost about the same and sound better, even once the parts are available. A depreciation hit costs a lot of money. But so does a high-end stereo, custom wiring harness, Sync retention module, labor, and a dash kit that somehow preserves the functionality of the existing buttons and display. That's what I'm probably looking at down the road, since I've already sunk so much money into the stereo upgrade. I cannot tell you how much I wish I had just popped for the damn Sony/nav/Sirius option package when buying the car.

• 1 month later...

HotPotato, do you know if we can buy the Sony factory system after-the-fact, and install it now?

I'm pretty sure that was only an option on the SEL model. We SE owners never had the chance.

The issue I'd worry about here is that the Sony radio has a stronger amp than the standard MFT radio. Ford has a history of doing this by adding an external amp mounted some where in the car rather than building it in to the stereo. So just swapping out a MFT system for a Sony one may not work since you won't have the external amp.

Is there anyway to upgrade the stock head unit? Any dash installation kits that are compatible?

Anybody know if this would fit?

looks the same size?

I'm an old fart and just fine with the stock head unit and display.  Good Luck with your upgrade though.  Be sure to share pics once you get it finished.  I was an audio geek back in my 30's and 40's.  Now I'm living with poor hearing in my soon to be 60's next August.

The issue I'd worry about here is that the Sony radio has a stronger amp than the standard MFT radio. Ford has a history of doing this by adding an external amp mounted some where in the car rather than building it in to the stereo. So just swapping out a MFT system for a Sony one may not work since you won't have the external amp.

I've installed an aftermarket amp already, so not a problem for me... But I don't think it's a plug and play thing. I suspect the MFT/Sony cars have a whole different wiring harness etc., as well as the different dash kit. Anybody know the answer on that?

@CarpeNivem: I assumed the MFT nav radio was the Sony radio. But now that I do the configurator on the Ford site, I realize it doesn't specify that. Hmm.

Yeah, the Sony radio comes in the SEL, while us SE people don't get a name brand. I might consider the Sony headunit, and all the speakers, amp, everything, IF the cost of doing so wasn't insane. I don't know how much I'd need to replace, but it should all fit pretty easily - easier than buying totally different speakers altogether, at least. I figured if anyone would've looked into the possibility, it'd be you.

I wanted the Sony radio knowing upgrading the head unit is next to impossible. It is an SEL option, which has stuff I couldn't justify the cost like leather (I prefer cloth), park assist, panorama roof, kick lift gate and backup camera which would of been nice but not required. I went with the 203A and winter package.

I just looked at what the dealerships had, didn't build one. They had plenty to choose from.

I wanted the Sony radio knowing upgrading the head unit is next to impossible. It is an SEL option, which has stuff I couldn't justify the cost like leather (I prefer cloth), park assist, panorama roof, kick lift gate and backup camera which would of been nice but not required. I went with the 203A and winter package.

I just looked at what the dealerships had, didn't build one. They had plenty to choose from.

Just to be clear, the SEL does NOT necessarily include "park assist, panorama roof, kick lift gate and backup camera."

I just assumed an amp and replacement speakers could be added after the fact. I've never considered the stereo in any car while choosing between trim levels. It wasn't until reading of HotPotato's troubles that I even questioned swapping in the Sony.

However, upon closer listening in my own car, I'm really starting to think that the stereo isn't the problem nearly as much as SiriusXM itself is. Other sources sound fine.