Power Liftgate not always opening?

I use to swing my foot to the side but now I kick straight forward and back. I do get the "nudge" now and again. Another kick and it finishes popping open.

so it sounds like you have the same problem? i hear it pop but it doesn't go up until i press my button again or kick again...annoying.

Someone mentioned earlier that he thought the "discount double kick" might happen if the car is locked. That it might open directly if the car is not locked.

I don't know if this is part of the issue, but I never paid attention to that (is the car locked or unlocked?) before.  I vowed to monitor that to see if there is any correlation.

On my SEL, if it is unlocked, one "kick" always opens hatch. If locked, only once in awhile does it open with one "kick." But always opens when locked with two "kicks." Tried lubricating the latch and that improved the frequency to locked, one "kick" openings...but faded after awhile. Tried a brand new SEL that was at my dealer (built in late March), and it seemed to open every time (mine was built on Jan 7). Plan to have service look at it when I get my first oil change. The manual is not real clear about having the vehicle locked or unlocked for the "kick" action to open.

Lubing won't help.

ifwt_thats_what_she_said.png

:)

There hasn't been one report of the gate not opening AND raising with one actuation of the dash button.  That logically rules out the latch mechanism, sticky seals, etc.  I'm 90% sure* from my "testing" that it's two kicks if locked and one if unlocked.  

I'll leave myself a little room for another possibility  ;)

Edited by fotomoto

Good point about testing repeatedly.  I think if you try testing again with the car locked after a lengthy period of time (how much TBD?), you'll find it usually needs two kicks.  That's been my experience.

makes me wonder if this is a safety feature so it doesn't open by accident perhaps?

I own an SE and don't have the foot-activated feature.  I have found that about 5% of the time it fails to open when I use the key fob.  Same symptom--I hear it unlock (pop sound), but the hatch doesn't open.  I've never discerned a pattern, although it seemed to happen more often during the cold winter weather.

I own an SE and don't have the foot-activated feature.  I have found that about 5% of the time it fails to open when I use the key fob.  Same symptom--I hear it unlock (pop sound), but the hatch doesn't open.  I've never discerned a pattern, although it seemed to happen more often during the cold winter weather.

Its a sensor issue, per Ford Engineer at the Irvine POW-WOW, the sensor is "asleep". Sometimes even when I press the button on the back, it will unlock and I need to press it another to active the open motion. You can hear it waking up but just fail to open the liftgate. Its a known issue and they're still working on the patch...don't ask me when they'll fix it.

Oh....kicking it just underneath the bumper is a SUPER, SUPER tip, its not failed me yet and no more embarassing "wax on wax off" moments where the liftgate fails to do anything.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure others are still seeing this issue, but I just bought a 2014 C-Max 6 days ago and this morning had this issue - using the keyfob I heard the clunk that the latch released, but the power liftgate wouldn't lift.  10 minutes later at my destination I tried the in-car button to lift the liftgate and it worked fine.

I'm not sure others are still seeing this issue, but I just bought a 2014 C-Max 6 days ago and this morning had this issue - using the keyfob I heard the clunk that the latch released, but the power liftgate wouldn't lift.  10 minutes later at my destination I tried the in-car button to lift the liftgate and it worked fine.

Welcome to the forum, Pete! I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. If this happens again, you can always have your dealership inspect. 

Crystal