HV battery "shadow" charging

Was driving along and noticed my MPG dropping and dropping and dropping on the display. "Hm, why is that happening, the engine isn't on and I'm not braking, I'm just driving." Looked at the display and it said "charging HV battery." But why? Not "acceleration" and not "normal operation" and not anything else; the battery gauge registered more than 3/4 full (and anyway, why would the car be charging it without gas or brake?). I don't recall seeing this mystery -- anyone else?

It can also regen while coasting under normal conditions. Depending on how long you may have done it for could have added some amount of charge back in.

Short and sweet explanation being there are limited sources of energy to go back into the battery: Either via EVSE/plug-in (if this is an Energi model), the ICE/engine, or regen braking which can happen with the brake pedal actively applied, while coasting in Drive/L, or with grade assist or cruise control enabled and there's a need for them to 'slow down' or maintain a lower speed than the vehicle naturally wants to reach.

So we would need to know more details about exactly the conditions during that drive to know for sure, but likely it comes under one of the above conditions.