SEL - 300A OR 301A?

301A adds NAV and the upgraded Sony Audio system to the base SEL.  From what I've read, it seems the NAV system is not too hot - maybe more trouble than it's worth...is that the consensus?  If so, then is the Sony system worth the ~ $1,200 added cost?  Are there some other added features to the 301A package that I'm not aware of?

Rocco, many of the early adopters have problems with the Nav system but it appears the cars built after mid-February are fine.  My car has a 2/20 build date and I have not had one problem with the Nav and at $1,200 with voice activation and the premium Sony audio I think it is well worth it.  Now if we can only get the new GPS module and software updates for the early adopters all is well.

My experience is the same as lowbars.  Zero problems with the nav or anything else either.  I was concerned I wouldn't like the nav system, as most every "built in" system I have used in other cars was nearly useless and the user interface was awful at best.  I am pleasantly surprised with how nice the Ford system is to use.  I say...go for the big package.

Another +1 on the NAV/sony package.  I've had no real issues with mine (March build).  On trips, I like to show my kids the ETA time display which eliminates the "Are we there yet?" questions.  Another great yet somewhat hidden feature within the sirius travel link is a realtime weather/radar map.  Sirus also has traffic updates/warnings which can be very important for some.  

Thanks guys - so the NAV system does perform OK now - good to know.  Did either of you do a comparison and, if so, did you find the optional audio system sounds much better than the standard one?  We will be continuing the Sirius subscription - love the XM radio on my Buick!  Get to listen to a lot of Red Sox games going to and from our place in the AZ mountains.

My 2 cents.

I am not a fan of built in GPS especially for a $1200 upgrade charge (I know includes Sony also).  Why, because we travel a lot and want the most up to date maps.  IMHO, you can't beat a Garmin with free map updates (4 X a year) - the works for less than $400 or a darn good one for about $200.  How often are the SD cards updated?  How much are the SD card updates? and besides apparently it still doesn't work correctly for some.  

With regard to the Sony, when we travel I use Sirius so I doubt Sirius will sound any better on the Sony than the OEM. Besides my hearing isn't what is use to be. :)

I'm very happy using Google maps on my Android. I have the proclip mount (www.proclipusa.com) which works very well. I specifically did not want Ford Nav because I knew it could never beat Google's. I certainly couldn't justify paying >$1K for it. I would have liked the rear view camera, but again I couldn't justify the cost as it comes with a higher package. Pretty happy with the 300A sound system. I'd suggest you hear both at a dealer.

Also, the car Nav won't let a passenger enter an address when driving, but you can talk it in - something more to consider compared to a portable device.

Thank you everyone who has responded so far.  On my Buick LaCrosse, for the ~$1,200 upgrade cost, I got the Harmon Kardon Stereo with DVD player plus NAV, plus rear view camera, plus the touch screen LCD display... the standard screen was a small crappy monochrome text display.  Anyway, that was an easy decision to upgrade.  The C-Max is for my wife, so I'll let her decide, but I'm inclined to think the 301A is the way to go.

Do note that the 300A has the exact same screen and electronics behind it as the 301A. They program it to be with or without Nav at the factory by loading keys and software.

Right - what I was trying to say was that for the LaCrosse, getting the NAV was almost a no brainer, considering everything else that came with it...for the C-Max, not so much, but it's probably still a good idea, just not as compelling

I had the Sony Radio system in my 2012 Focus which was totaled in a crash in December. It sounded nice, but the regular radio in my CMAX, to my ear, sounds just as nice. The Sony system added HD Radio, which I never used, and a subwoofer, which mostly just used valuable cargo space in the rear hatch area. I have a decent Garmin that works just fine. To me, getting the NAV and a fancier radio wasn't worth $1200 when I got the CMAX.

Rocco, many of the early adopters have problems with the Nav system but it appears the cars built after mid-February are fine.  My car has a 2/20 build date and I have not had one problem with the Nav and at $1,200 with voice activation and the premium Sony audio I think it is well worth it.  Now if we can only get the new GPS module and software updates for the early adopters all is well.

This is correct, they appear to have fixed the majority of issues on the later versions, I am having problems but my build number is car 717 and 07/2012, delivered in October of 2012, impatiently waiting for mine to get the newest build for MFT and the navigation system that might fix the issues. Have had the re-calibration done and 3 GPS sensors replace so far with no success. Would definitely get the 302 package though

Edited by Wingrider01

Especially being in Phoenix, are you going to tint the car?  If so, I'd recommend going with 302A instead as it adds the rear view camera, which IMO, is very important and near mandatory at night with tint.  Again, IMO.

Mmm - good point - thank you for that.  I just don't like that slow opening rear hatch...but I wouldn't rule it out...will leave it up to the wife.  I have the rear view camera on the Lacrosse - she won't use it - says she doesn't trust it, or more likely, herself using it.

Thank you everyone who has responded so far.  On my Buick LaCrosse, for the ~$1,200 upgrade cost, I got the Harmon Kardon Stereo with DVD player plus NAV, plus rear view camera, plus the touch screen LCD display... the standard screen was a small crappy monochrome text display.  Anyway, that was an easy decision to upgrade.  The C-Max is for my wife, so I'll let her decide, but I'm inclined to think the 301A is the way to go.

Got mine with the 303A package, PanaWindow and haven't looked back. Using the Park Assist to great Success when I am force into the District for my work.  Now that I have learned the Voice Commands, I am really enjoying what I have.

Update:  Went just browsing this past weekend - ended up driving away with a White Platinum SEL 302A.  Paid $1,500 more than for 300A in Black from another dealer...~2,800 more car for $1,500 made it an easy decision...plus White is a much more practical color in Phoenix (my car, the LaCrosse, is also white platinum).  I do think the audio system sounds better than the base system, though not as good as the Harmon Kardon system in my Buick.  Thank you all for your input - it is appreciated.  The wife loves the car, so far - she said it was the best car she ever owned, and she's always had pretty decent cars.  Getting 42+ MPG so far on the first tank

Update:  Went just browsing this past weekend - ended up driving away with a White Platinum SEL 302A.  Paid $1,500 more than for 300A in Black from another dealer...~2,800 more car for $1,500 made it an easy decision...plus White is a much more practical color in Phoenix (my car, the LaCrosse, is also white platinum).  I do think the audio system sounds better than the base system, though not as good as the Harmon Kardon system in my Buick.  Thank you all for your input - it is appreciated.  The wife loves the car, so far - she said it was the best car she ever owned, and she's always had pretty decent cars.  Getting 42+ MPG so far on the first tank

Congratulations!  I am sure you both with be very happy with it.

.  The wife loves the car, so far - she said it was the best car she ever owned, and she's always had pretty decent cars.  Getting 42+ MPG so far on the first tank

Well, welcome and congrats on a great choice, BIG ROCCO! I haven't quite gotten to the *best car I've ever owned* stage, but I'm darned close! 

Great MPGs on a first tank! We look forward to hearing your experiences with your new ride!