New owner in central California (Patterson)

EdH

Hello All;

Just bought a 2013 Energi this week. I also have a 2020 Bolt. The C-Max is so much more comfortable than the Bolt, I really like them both for different reasons. 

The Energi has 185,000 miles is running really well. I don't think the previous owners (2) used the plug in either very often or not correctly. The first time I charged it it only showed 10 miles, the second time 16 miles, I'm charging it for the 3rd time now.

I look forward to doing a lot of reading and learning.

After a week of 50 miles a day for 5 days I am averaging 48.5 mpg. That is with very limited battery driving because it won't charge fully even plugged in overnight on 220. I am replacing the battery tomorrow with a 58,000 mile used battery.

When I charged it on 110 it would only go to 8 miles after 8 hours of charging.

• 5 months later...

Hey @EdH I'd love to get an update on your battery replacement. Did you do it? If so - how did it go? If not - why not?

I've been wondering whether it's feasible to give my 2017 Energi a new battery that's way way way better than the battery it currently has. Not just a "good as a new C-Max" battery, but a "this is the best battery that 2023/2024 has to offer". Any thoughts?

Are you using 220/240V charger?  Those sound like 120V charging rates.  Bear in mind that the EV range on the Energi was never designed to get anywhere near your Bolt -- it's like 15-20mi at the max when it was new.  In 2013 that was a novelty, especially for Ford.  When the battery dies the gas engine will kick in.  I think the only real viable EVs back then were like Tesla and the Nissan Leaf?

The regular hybrid battery pack only has like 2mi range at the most?  It really was designed to just level out the RPM on the engine and enable better fuel economy, not replace the gas engine.  The Energi pack is double that I think, but still not like a modern EV.

Lithium ion packs like the one in the C-MAX -are- the state of the art as far as I know.  At the time these cars were developed Toyota was still using NiMH packs ..it's just that modern EV have a lot more cells and are designed to "be" EVs ... they aren't trying to cram extra things into a traditional gas powered car design.

The Bolt would be one of a handful of pure EVs I am looking at because it has excellent range.  The others might be the Ioniq and I think I like the ID Buzz although I doubt I want to be an early adopter. 

Ford only has the way too expensive $120K F-150 and the "SportsCUV" for $60K .. both of which I am really not interested in. 

The viable market for EV seems to be a small commuter car you can charge at home, manufacturers don't seem interested in that segment.

Edited by jestevens