air conditioning doesn't work!!!

reedmother

Not trying to hi-jack, my question does relate to AC. What do your compressors sound like when you first turn to AC on and there is a 15 to 20 degree difference between the outside temp reading (88-90) and the auto setting(72-74). The last few days after work when I'm cooling things down for the hour drive home, the compressor? is very loud, a kind of high pitch whine and a vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel and accelerator peddle. Also on the power gauge it shows a very large draw, not full scale but like a tick from full. The first time this happened it was so loud and the vibration so strong that I thought something was about to explode and quickly turn the climate system off. When I turned it back on, it returned to "normal".

Never have dealt with electric compressors in cars before so I,m not at all sure what is "normal".

Even when there's just a few degrees difference, the compressor on mine is very loud too - I would describe it as a harsh buzz. That was one of the four complaints I brought up with the dealer today. The service advisor claimed it was normal since he saw it on another C-Max today - I expressed incredulity and he promised to look into it further. I wonder if anyone has access to a datasheet of tech specs on the compressor, to really know what should be expected in terms of noise and vibration?

Supposedly the 2013 Ford electric and hybrid vehicles are the first to get a new model of electric compressor from Denso: http://www.densomedia-na.com/news/show/id/402 - but I can't any technical information about it.

I can't imagine why you would feel it through the steering and accelerator unless there's something REALLY wrong going on - like it vibrating badly enough to shake the front end, or a major electrical problem browning power to the electronic steering and throttle controls?

Hey, it's me. The originator of this post. My saga is almost over. They've had my car for a week. Just talked with the guy this morning and the AC malfunction had nothing to do with the compressor. It was leaking freon, but it took them awhile to find the source of the leak- and had to order a part - and they say it will be done today.  I've  had a 2013 Focus as a loaner. Interesting to see that the Focus with 3K miles gets 37 mpg  vs. the C-max with 4K is averaging 44.  Remember, same driver, same roads. How come the Focus achieves the EPA estimate, but the C-max doesn't?  Also, by the way, they fixed the clock which turned out was related to some recall involving the Sync system.

I've  had a 2013 Focus as a loaner. Interesting to see that the Focus with 3K miles gets 37 mpg  vs. the C-max with 4K is averaging 44.  Remember, same driver, same roads. How come the Focus achieves the EPA estimate, but the C-max doesn't? 

Many argue that the differences between the EPA test and real-world driving help hybrids a lot more than they help conventional vehicles. I think that is especially true on the highway test, which is more like "highway-oriented commute" (where one rarely drives full speed and still must stop periodically). And at that, the C-Max's ability to run in EV-only mode up to 62MPG gives it an advantage over other hybrids on the test. 

Detailed Test Information

Edited by Noah Harbinger

• 1 year later...