air conditioning doesn't work!!!

reedmother

Turned it on for the first time last week and nothing happend. I tried all kinds of things. Can't believe it. The dealership (30 miles away) will look at it next week. First American car we've had in 30 years. I can't remember ever having to take the other ones back to the dealer. Major bummer and leaves me with bad feelings......

What I mean is that it doesn't blow cold air. It blows warm air. I hit the Ac button and the display says the AC is on, the fan comes on, but no cool air.  I set it for low. I didn't check the fuse, but I don't know how to do that.  My husband was in the car and we both tried all kinds of things to make it work.  I didn't think there was a trick to turning on AC in a car, and every other car I've had has been easy to turn on. I can't believe it would be from user error.

Edited by reedmother

It sounds like the compressor isn't running, a refrigerant circuit problem, or a refrigerenant sensor issue. If you can set up My View on the left display to show the climate consumption in kW, then you can see if there is any energy being consumed by the electric compressor when you push the ac button. That would eliminate the fuse if there is power being consumed when the ac is on. So, then one needs a Ford scan tool to scan the appropriate modules for fault codes.

Fuse 29 which is a 10 A fuse is for the AC Control Module which controls the compressor. It's in the fuse box in the engine bay next to the + 12 V battery terminal. The owner's manual says one should see the dealer to change fuses in this box so it's probably a trip to the dealer.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

take a look at the touch screen to double check - i have a weird glitch in mine where it doesn't sync/correspond to the physical buttons and touchscreen on AC.

like others have said, check the fuse on your manual. yeah it sucks not to have AC. 

i had a new company car i just picked up in 2009 nissan altima and the ac give out in less than 500 miles, because of metallic particles in the compressors, lines etc., it was a "known" issue and the whole thing took 2 days to replace because the dash had to be ripped out too. it was 100 degrees F and i was in a suit too.  :drop:

Edited by armoredsaint

Thanks for suggestions, but I'll let the dealer deal with it. Definetely not working. No cool air coming out. To their credit, they said they would drive a loaner to my house for the 6 days before the appt. Pretty nice!  It's going back down into the 60's tomorrow, so I can wait.  Sounds like nobody else has had this problem.

Yeah, has gotta be a fault. I tested my AC at the dealer before I drove away.

Also I am very impressed at how cold the AC can get the car. We had an 80f day the other day and I set it on max AC and left it there. It got the car to around 45f. Could almost see my breath. It was great :D

Just updating my AC problem. I took it to the dealer, and yes, it does not work. Trouble is, they need a $4500 new special machine to help fix it.  The machine is on order - and they will give me a loaner when the car goes in.  I want them to fix the clock also, but it sounds like they don't know how. I would think Ford would have issued a fix-it plan for the clock since I see that a lot of people are having trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

we just had the same problem on Thursday. turned the a/c on for the first time and nothing but warm air came out. tried every kind of adjustment we could think of. made an appointment with the dealer for 8am Friday morning. the upshot is that they're ordering a new compressor that will be installed next week. not happy with the problem but very pleased with the dealer response. they offered us a rental but we opted to take the car and return it Wednesday. we just love our Gracie!!!

My AC just stopped working. I was on my way home from Culver's (Yeah, Baby!) with my wife when the AC would not come on. I turned it on and off several times to no avail. Then I hit the Auto button and it came on and is working fine.

Weird.......

This is a complicated car. I just hope the car as a whole does not prove to be unreliable, long term. I have 22,000 miles on mine already and I am pushing for a minimum of 200,000 miles before I get a different car (that is only 5 years of driving for me, by the way).

Matt

Actually, I think I have it figured out. The last 4 times I drove the car, the AC would not come on if I turned it on immediately. I have to wait about two or three minutes. If I wait those few minutes, it will come right on and work fine.

Anyone else notice that?

Matt

Not trying to hi-jack, my question does relate to AC. What do your compressors sound like when you first turn to AC on and there is a 15 to 20 degree difference between the outside temp reading (88-90) and the auto setting(72-74). The last few days after work when I'm cooling things down for the hour drive home, the compressor? is very loud, a kind of high pitch whine and a vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel and accelerator peddle. Also on the power gauge it shows a very large draw, not full scale but like a tick from full. The first time this happened it was so loud and the vibration so strong that I thought something was about to explode and quickly turn the climate system off. When I turned it back on, it returned to "normal".

Never have dealt with electric compressors in cars before so I,m not at all sure what is "normal".

Not trying to hi-jack, my question does relate to AC. What do your compressors sound like when you first turn to AC on and there is a 15 to 20 degree difference between the outside temp reading (88-90) and the auto setting(72-74). The last few days after work when I'm cooling things down for the hour drive home, the compressor? is very loud, a kind of high pitch whine and a vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel and accelerator peddle. Also on the power gauge it shows a very large draw, not full scale but like a tick from full. The first time this happened it was so loud and the vibration so strong that I thought something was about to explode and quickly turn the climate system off. When I turned it back on, it returned to "normal".

Never have dealt with electric compressors in cars before so I,m not at all sure what is "normal".

The compressor does normally start out at full power and then drops as the car cools off.  In my car the A/C compressor is very loud.

I can't say I have noticed the compressor vibrate through the steering wheel and pedals.  However, when I am still or moving at very slow speeds, I get a good jolt when the ICE comes on.  That is completely unnoticeable at higher speeds.  Could it be the ICE that you are feeling?

It may be that the "Auto" and "MAX" buttons cause an overkill.  Today I rolled all windows down and just pressed the large fan button a few times to blow the hot air out of the ducts. Then I pressed the AC button to turn on the compressor. Cool air started blowing in the system acted quite civil. After a few minutes set the temp to 74 and pressed the "AUTO" button and the fan speed lowered and everything was "hunky dory".

Thanks for suggestions, but I'll let the dealer deal with it. Definetely not working. No cool air coming out. To their credit, they said they would drive a loaner to my house for the 6 days before the appt. Pretty nice!  It's going back down into the 60's tomorrow, so I can wait.  Sounds like nobody else has had this problem.

Just noticed you're in Vermont - what are you even complaining about?  You don't need AC there- just open the window!

JK - LOL

Interesting Pomtrey. My guys said they had to order some special piece of diagnostic equipment. That was over 2 weeks ago. Finally had to call to ask them what was up. I'm losing my smiley face.

we had our new compressor installed on Wednesday and the a/c works like it was always meant to. your symptoms were exactly the same as ours so I'm sure it's the same problem. can't believe you have to wait so long.

and for those talking abt compressor noise, ours is quiet as can be. and there's no vibration. maybe it's an adjustment.

we are so happy!!

Edited by pomtrey