Open invitation and question to those struggling with their mileage.

Recumpence

Hello All,

I have a question for those of you who are struggling with your mileage;

I have noticed (and this has been mentioned, but not really covered at length) that the daily driving distance affects mileage pretty drastically.

I am seeing 55 to 60mpg every single day at this point. However, I drive 130 miles per day at least. Here is what I am noticing;

The first 10 miles of each day are only around 40mpg for me. It is only after the engine and transmission are warmed up and run for that innitial 10 miles that my mileage goes up. However, when it goes up, it goes WAAAYYY up. Once I am into my day, the mileage stays up.

So, this thread is for those who are seeing 40mpg or less to discuss their driving routine and see if that is what is causing the low mileage. For instance, if you are driving 6 miles to work and 6 miles home at the end of the day and never drive more than that (or only highway miles of longer than that), your mileage will be lower.

Lastly, my mileage went up after about 15,000 miles on my odometer.

Matt

EDIT:

My wife and I just got back from breakfast (at Chic-Fil-A  :)). The mileage going there was 43.4mpg and the mileage coming home (identical route) was 77.1mpg! This is a good example of what I am talking about as far as warming the engine.   :)

Edited by Recumpence

I drive four small trips each day (back and forth to work).  This equals about ten miles a day during the week. I average anywhere from 30 to 50 MPG depending on the lights I catch.  I have noticed my mileage is better on the weekends when I travel more.  I know these small trips are bringing my average down, as it would with any car.  I guess my car never really warms up until the weekends. :doh:   

We did take a 1200 mile trip to Mississippi a few weeks ago that brought my lifetime average down a full 1.5 MPG. I have recovered about .5 MPG so far. :)  

My current tank is averaging 43.3 MPG. (3100 miles on the odometer)

Edited by Edsel

Hello All,

I have a question for those of you who are struggling with your mileage;

I have noticed (and this has been mentioned, but not really covered at length) that the daily driving distance affects mileage pretty drastically.

I am seeing 55 to 60mpg every single day at this point. However, I drive 130 miles per day at least. Here is what I am noticing;

The first 10 miles of each day are only around 40mpg for me. It is only after the engine and transmission are warmed up and run for that innitial 10 miles that my mileage goes up. However, when it goes up, it goes WAAAYYY up. Once I am into my day, the mileage stays up.

So, this thread is for those who are seeing 40mpg or less to discuss their driving routine and see if that is what is causing the low mileage. For instance, if you are driving 6 miles to work and 6 miles home at the end of the day and never drive more than that (or only highway miles of longer than that), your mileage will be lower.

Lastly, my mileage went up after about 15,000 miles on my odometer.

Matt

Exactly, as I said in another thread.  "Short trips kill mpg" which is especially noticeable the colder the temperature is since the car (including powertrain, differential, wheel bearings, and tires) takes longer (if ever) to reach efficient operating temperature.  

Once the car is at operating temperature, the biggest effect ambient temperature has on the car is from air pressure.  Cold air is more dense and thus the aerodynamic drag on a car is greater in colder air than warmer air. The car has to "plow" through heavier air when it's cold.  For example, the density of air at 0 F, 40 F and 70 F is 1.3383, 1.2726, and 1.2005 kg/m^3.  So, air is 11.5% more dense at 0 F than 70 F, 6.0% more dense at 0 F than 40 F, and 5.2% more dense at 40 F than 70 F.  Since aerodynamic drag is directly proportional to air density, aerodynamic drag increases by the same ratios.   My estimates indicate that the drag effect on FE would be 4.5 - 8.5% from 0 F - 70 F and  2.5 % to 4.5 % from 40 F to 70 F depending on speed.  So, if one was getting 40 mpg (on a warmed up car) at 40 F and the ambient is now 70 F, ones FE might increase 1.0 - 1.8 mpg due to less dense air.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

It's been said many times but there are so many factors involved in fuel economy, some obvious, others not.  Elevation has lot to do with it also.  You don't need huge mountainous roads to negatively affect mileage for example.  I'm in Michigan.  There isn't drastic hills here but there are lots of little ups and down in places.  My drive into work is overall a slow decline so mileage on the way home is negatively affected but you wouldn't really notice it unless you track the eleveation on a GPS.  I'm at almost 43 MPG lifetime (with no reset-27MPG avg. at 95 miles when I took delivery), 1,700 miles.  Bought in March.  514, 541, 570 on first three tanks and on track for over 600 on current (46.8 MPG avg on this tank).  Temperature has been a huge impact for me.  I was getting low 40'sMPG at 30 degrees, this morning I got 53 MPG at 63 degrees.

Great stuff!

This is what I am talking about.

Also, wait till you have significant miles on your cars. The MPG will go up. I am sure much of that is complete break-in and part of it is getting more used to driving. But, I can tell you, my mileage increased a noticeable amount after about 15,000 miles.

Matt

Do you guys think using 0W-20 oil would help in my situation?

I drive four small trips each day (back and forth to work).  This equals about ten miles a day during the week. I average anywhere from 30 to 50 MPG depending on the lights I catch.  I have noticed my mileage is better on the weekends when I travel more.  I know these small trips are bringing my average down, as it would with any car.  I guess my car never really warms up until the weekends. :doh:   

We did take a 1200 mile trip to Mississippi a few weeks ago that brought my lifetime average down a full 1.5 MPG. I have recovered about .5 MPG so far. :)  

My current tank is averaging 43.3 MPG. (3100 miles on the odometer)

Do you guys think using 0W-20 oil would help in my situation?

There is very little difference in kinematic viscosity between a 0W- and 5W- oil.  Maybe in Minnesota winters a slight difference, but not in Texas I think.

actually i read in one of the forums here that the cmax likes 60-65 mpg better than 55-60 if you are using eco cruise mode.

Many folks buying a cmax need to know or forget that

if you drive mostly around town and short trips <45 mi/hr then a plug in is the best option for you(all ev).

if you drive mostly city and some highway and trips are >10 miles then a hybrid is your best option.

if you drive mostly highways at >65 mi/hr and take long trips >20 miles, then a diesel is your best bet, factoring cost of diesel of course.

A lot of our driving is in the mpg death zone... 60-65.

Doesn't bother me, we'll be in the high MPG MPH zone 65+ a lot this summer.

we took a 240 mile trip (each way), at mostly 75-80 mph.  We got about 32 mpg.  To me 70-80 mph on the highway is 'real world' driving.  So I'm satisfied with mid 30's figures.  But for my situation, this is not a 47 mpg 'real world' car.  We don't drive it like a hybrid. We drive it like a car (and enjoy it as not only a hybrid, but a car). Yes I understand a small portion of enthusiasts who post here can easily meet the EPA estimates, but I feel it's very situation specific.  I'm also pretty confident I'd get better mpgs in a Prius, but I also understand that hitting 75+ mph in a Prius would be interesting to say the least.

Our normal daily use is a 17 mile trip to work, mostly on the interstate.  We seem to have levelled off at 38.3 mpg (we're at about 2500 lifetime miles).  I agree that it takes a good 5 min to warm up and achieve reasonable mpgs.

we took a 240 mile trip (each way), at mostly 75-80 mph.  We got about 32 mpg.  To me 70-80 mph on the highway is 'real world' driving.  So I'm satisfied with mid 30's figures.  But for my situation, this is not a 47 mpg 'real world' car.  We don't drive it like a hybrid. We drive it like a car (and enjoy it as not only a hybrid, but a car). Yes I understand a small portion of enthusiasts who post here can easily meet the EPA estimates, but I feel it's very situation specific.  I'm also pretty confident I'd get better mpgs in a Prius, but I also understand that hitting 75+ mph in a Prius would be interesting to say the least.

Our normal daily use is a 17 mile trip to work, mostly on the interstate.  We seem to have levelled off at 38.3 mpg (we're at about 2500 lifetime miles).  I agree that it takes a good 5 min to warm up and achieve reasonable mpgs.

Sounds like our driving styles may be similar.

We have a few 500+ one way 75 to 80MPH trips planed this yr., I was hoping for high 30's.

We're at 3500 miles with a life time average of 39.8

But the last couple of tanks have been 41.? and now 42.7 @ 200 on this tank.

You should look for another 1MPG+ improvement in the next 1K miles, and more for the next several K.

Our car has a little over 1400 EV miles on it which means the gas only has a little over 1600 on it, not fully broken in.

I'm attaching two pictures I took today after I fueled up with my 25th tank since purchase in September.  I ran the tank down to 2 miles from empty and took 12.754 gallons.  When I reset my fuel history after the fillup it said 588 to empty, how will I ever make it to 600miles if my computer doesn't give me the numbers at refill?  I was up to 43.0 average mpg at refueling.  It had been as low as 18.6 but steadily moved up as the tank ran down which I thought was strange.  I'm doing everything I can from the info I've got from this forum to try and reach the 600 mile club but can't quite make it.  It's driving me nuts hearing from those of you which have reached that lofty goal and now someone has hit the 700 mile mark...geez.

Edited by mtb9153

I'm doing everything I can from the info I've got from this forum to try and reach the 600 mile club but can't quite make it.  It's driving me nuts hearing from those of you which have reached that lofty goal and now someone has hit the 700 mile mark...geez.

Quite simply, you need to be achieving 46ish mpg to reach a 600 mile tank.  Also, you should post your plea in the 600mi tank thread for more feedback.

Thanks. Kinda what I figured, but thought I would ask.

Hey, every little bit helps!   I've been thinking about doing the same thing and have been checking into it.   Mobil says it's advanced fuel economy 0w20 meets Fords synthetic requirements (WSS-M2C945-A)   When purchase in the gallon jug, the price is about the same as 5w20.  I'm going to switch to it at 10k (currently at 4k running mobil1 5w20).  

Are you using air conditioning?

I'm attaching two pictures I took today after I fueled up with my 25th tank since purchase in September.  I ran the tank down to 2 miles from empty and took 12.754 gallons.  When I reset my fuel history after the fillup it said 588 to empty, how will I ever make it to 600miles if my computer doesn't give me the numbers at refill?  I was up to 43.0 average mpg at refueling.  It had been as low as 18.6 but steadily moved up as the tank ran down which I thought was strange.  I'm doing everything I can from the info I've got from this forum to try and reach the 600 mile club but can't quite make it.  It's driving me nuts hearing from those of you which have reached that lofty goal and now someone has hit the 700 mile mark...geez.

My short commute murders mileage. But it's better if I turn off the climate control so the ICE doesn't kick on for the heater. Taking a 3-hour round trip on the highway is enough to measurably improve my lifetime mileage; a couple weeks with no weekend road trips and it falls again.

mtb9153, I'm no expert, but I think that number is based on your driving the previous tank. I think it's fluid, and can change up or down with your driving in the current tank.....at least that's how mine seems.

actually i read in one of the forums here that the cmax likes 60-65 mpg better than 55-60 if you are using eco cruise mode.

Many folks buying a cmax need to know or forget that

if you drive mostly around town and short trips <45 mi/hr then a plug in is the best option for you(all ev).

if you drive mostly city and some highway and trips are >10 miles then a hybrid is your best option.

if you drive mostly highways at >65 mi/hr and take long trips >20 miles, then a diesel is your best bet, factoring cost of diesel of course.

I considered a diesel just for that reason.  But it isn't always easy to find a gas station with diesel in Orlando.  I know, crazy.  But it's true.  And, of course, I love my C-Max.

• 2 weeks later...

With the first of a few 90+ degree days, with the A/C set at AUTO and 68 degrees, I have noticed the air conditioner goes into airplane engine mode, sounds like a jet engine.  And after a few minutes of this it settles down.  I was watching the power used and when it is making the airplane engine sound, the KWH used for the A/C is 3/4 of the bars full.  And when this is happening, naturally the battery is running out like if it were gasoline and I had a hole in my gas tank.....so EV mode is out of the question.  This of course makes the gas engine come on to charge the battery.  And this kills the MPG.  

MPG has gone way down with the hotter (over 90 degree) days so I'll be curious what my real MPG is when I fill up next.  For those in real hot climates, has your MPG gone down?  We got low MPG during winter (33MPG-35MPG) and when it was an average of 60-80 degrees, we were getting closer to 39MPG.  It is disappointing to just now realize the real hot weather will hurt MPG as well.  Not sure how bad but the computer is showing 17MPG, 25MPG on trips I'd see the computer say 40MPG or higher.  

We drive the car to school and back (25 mile round trip) and the computer shows sometimes a 47mpg trip.  And I can make the trips that show me 60MPG or even 80MPG if I'm driving downhill a lot on the computer.   But at the end of the day, when I fill up the tank, I'm still at 37-39MPG overall average per tank without the real hot or real cold days and 99% of the time the computer says I used a gallon less gas than I did.  We are very frugal with our hybrid driving, doing slow starts, coasting frequently, having a high brake score, and very rarely driving over 55MPG.  We aren't on flat roads, but we aren't climbing big mountains either.  

We continue to try, and it gives us some constant challenge to do better and more to achieve a better MPG, but in the end, with 60-80 degree days we can get 37MPG-39MPG actual.    

Don't get me wrong, I actually like driving the Cmax.  It is a nice driver and has lots of room, is versatile, etc.  But if I could have gotten 10MPG more by buying a Prius for roughly the same $$$$, had a IIHS crash test with a top pick (prior to this new round of tests), and forego some of the comfort/driving experience, I would have done it.   I got rid of my Mini Countryman as it was only getting 24MPG, figured I could double my MPG and save some $$$ in the process with putting 15K miles on per year.  Turns out the insurance was alot more than the Mini, and the MPG is less than I ever expected, and so while a nice car to drive, have had a fair share of problems and annoyances with lots of trips back for service.

Anyone with any tips on how to do better, let me know.  I went through a winter season with the wife turning the heat off for most of our trips, and she has done the same with the A/C now that the warm weather is here (turns it off).  Slow starts, coast as much as possible, use the computer to show me how fast I can go to stay in EV mode as much as possible, etc.  37MPG-39MPG seems to be our destiny.  

I would try turning off Max, turning on recirculate, changing the temperature to about 73F, and using the fan speed for a quick cool down while on ICE at initial power up.  Once things start to cool down, back the fan down to what you see as workable. 

We have had particularly bad weather for this past week, but we did hit 87, and I left the C-MAX fully out in the cloudy sun for a number of hours.  FE was not bad, and it cooled down pretty quickly, and I was then able to keep the fan on 4.

I am an airconditioner-aholic, but with tinting and Oxford White with the light interior, it has not been so bad.  Once it really heats up, I hope that it stays so quick to cool off.

I did use the remote to lower the windows and do a start up, and that also helped a lot.  However, the above information is what I did on a day where I did not use the remote start.  Still playing around with what works best when.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

.   I got rid of my Mini Countryman as it was only getting 24MPG, 

Anyone with any tips on how to do better, let me know.  I went through a winter season with the wife turning the heat off for most of our trips, and she has done the same with the A/C now that the warm weather is here (turns it off).  Slow starts, coast as much as possible, use the computer to show me how fast I can go to stay in EV mode as much as possible, etc.  37MPG-39MPG seems to be our destiny.  

2011 Countryman: 24mpg divided by the EPA rating of 28mpg combined=85%

2013 Ford  C-Max: 39mpg divided by the EPA rating of 47mpg combined=83%

It's your driving style and/or environment.

If you're primarily an urban driver, try to use EV as much as possible and not exceed the second bar on the gas engine scale to recharge.  If you primarily drive highway/interstate, keep your speed below 70 and strive to get into "high ICE" mode.