3g to 4g upgrade gone wrong

msundius

koons-ford-report.pdfI have a 2016 CMax, I've been trying for the last couple of years to get the 3g modem upgraded but the dealers around here don't have a clue how to do it or what it means. finally Sheehy ford in springfield va said they found the part for it. when I brought it in for my appointment they said that the part didn't come in and then the next day they said they couldn't get it. This was after a couple of years trying to get someone to understand what I was talking about.

Next I went to Coons Ford in Fall Church VA, they said sure we can get the part after the guy took a couple of days trying to find what I was asking for. I brought my car in when they got the part and a few hours later they guy called me back and said that the "wrench" light was on and there was a check engine light on. The guy who installed this was not a mechanic for ford but a guy who installs their audio and radios. the service advisor also seemed to not know what he was talking about. I accused him of botching the job and shorting something and he hung up on me. 

the service manager finally called me back and he said it was my "gateway" computer was out. he told me verbally that there was a "safe driving mode" warning showing but didn't tell me that the "stop safely now" triangle was on.. I had seen the "safe driving mode" at some point prior, but never the wrench light or the "stop safely now" .... yet.. clearly this is written on the paper he gave me down in the details of smaller print. my daughter drove home the car so I didn't see the stop safely now notice.. I only saw it when she got home. 

of course the gateway computer is $1205 cost and he says that if that doesn't fix it he needs to replace the instrument cluster at $900 bucks... 

So did the stereo guy who tried to upgrade the modem short out my cars computer? or do you think this could have been a problem prior which was made worse or just appeared now? 

note I attached a pdf of the paper the guy gave me when I picked up the car. 

Edited by msundius
left off some details

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10204043-0001.pdf

I'm pretty sure the "Complimentary Trial Period" on all these is up, so you would have been paying for both the parts and labor to perform the work anyway.

But .. he wants you to pay for *another* TCU -- because the part they received is either faulty, flashed wrong or was the incorrect part for your car? I'm confused.

I understood I'd have to pay for the TCU, even though I have been trying and failing to get one from the first dealer for several years... but when the 2nd dealer tried to install it. he fried the gateway computer.. that is whay I'm even more mad about.. And hes saying that it might be that the instrument cluster is fried too. My guess is that the tech didn't disconnet the (12v) battery since that's in a weird place in the back... but who can really know what the heck happened. 

Is the TCU separate from the gateway module in the C-MAX? I was sort of thinking they are the same device.

I don't blame you, I would be upset as well .. like don't offer the service if you can't perform the service without damaging the rest of the car.

It seems Ford really has/had some issues performing this CSP -- Dealers were not well informed/educated and/or parts were not available .. in addition to that TCU I think you are also supposed to get a new antenna..

C-MAX is still running so my next car is likely to be a Chevy Bolt, Kia/Hyundai EV or maybe an e-Golf or ID.Buzz .. if the C-MAX goes first next gas car is likely to be a Toyota.

Ford builds a ridiculously small number of Maverick pickups for demand and their interpretation of "EV" -- a $120K cash cow F-150 or $65K Mach-e .. plus the dealer's inability to cope with "new" technology .. My C-MAX has actually been incredibly reliable but I just don't trust the brand anymore. Edited by jestevens