2013 C-Max radio Module replacement.

Petri

Hello All! I've been scouring the forum here, but am finding the same repeated info, but no real solution to my question, so I'm asking it now.

I, as others here have the dreaded 'Popping/Static' radio issues with my 2013 C-Max SE.

Previously, I've removed the fuse (79) for the radio to reset it, and that worked once. My kids were driving the car when they told me that there was LOUD pop from all the speakers and the radio went dead. The radio hasn't worked now for about 4 months. Won't turn on, only Info I get from the 4" screen is time and date, and the Menu button only lets me configure 'Language' and 'Clock'. Yes, I've tried the fuse trick many times, still no worky...

After looking into this recently, I stumbled across a Youtube video of a guy who had the same issue. His solution was to replace the Radio Control Module in the dash with another one he pulled from a Ford Focus at a wrecker, as it uses a similar radio.

So, yesterday I went to my favourite wrecking yard and pulled two Radio modules out. One from a later model C-Max (2017 I think?) but it had the large touchscreen and wasn't the same layout, and the other from a Ford Focus that had the same 'keypad/dash button' configuration as my car (with the 4" screen). 

When I got home I pulled apart the dash on the C-Max and tried each radio I grabbed. The one from the C-Max worked (I was able to turn the radio on/off, browse through all settings etc...) but it was REAL quiet. I had to turn the volume all the way up to hear it. I figured that it was because this radio unit needed an amp that was in the donor car. So I checked the other radio from the Focus, and it worked as well. Was able to do all functions as well as browse through all previously paired phones etc. Although this one worked as well, it was still quiet... but not as quiet as the one from the C-Max. You still had to turn the volume way up to hear it. My daughter tried to use the AUX function with her phone and it was barely audible.

So, long story short... I've read that the microphone may be the culprit as it is messing with the ambient noise cancellation etc?? How do you disconnect it?

Has anyone used another Ford model radio with success? C-Max's are hard to come by in wrecking yards, while there are plenty of Focus's.

Anyone have any ideas as to why it may be so quiet?

Thanks in advance,

PK

Just to confirm, what exact module are you referring to when you talk about the 'radio' attempting to be replaced? There's a few audio related modules in this vehicle:

ACM - The radio tuner/CD unit that sits behind the dash and CD slot

APIM - The Sync module. On 4" equipped vehicles I believe this is inside the passenger side of the center console roughly under the cup holder area.

DACM - This is the amplifier/Active Noise Cancellation module. This sits under the glove compartment. All C-Max vehicles should be equipped with it as it is necessary for the ANC function which I believe they all had standard regardless of trim.

If you want to try to disable the ANC, you can follow the easy instructions at the thread below. However this does not usually cause complete audio failures, just the addition of some droning noise to the cabin while the ICE is running under certain conditions.

More than likely the ACM (the actual tuner/CD unit behind the dash) is the culprit. It's a common issue on these vehicles for various reasons. As far as replacements go, I'd stick with something out of another C-Max, a Focus, or Escape to play it safe since they share the same electrical architecture. You will need to reprogram it to your vehicle though. Most likely this is why the noted attempt with the low volume happened because it wasn't configured correctly to your vehicle.

If you are technically savvy enough, Forscan will do this for you easily. I'd recommend putting the old ACM back in and see if it is 'alive' enough for Forscan to pull the old AsBuilt from and then you can put the replacement in and write that to it. If the old ACM won't read properly in Forscan, there's a second option pulling directly from Ford as they keep a copy of the AsBuilt for most modules. You can do so at the link below. You're looking for the 727-XX-XX blocks of data.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

If you are not comfortable doing this, any dealer or mechanic with access to Ford's IDS tools should be able to do this for you. In their own tools it is usually referred to as a 'Programmable Module Installation' procedure.

Thanks Cr08!

I don't think I have reply notification enabled, as I had to hunt down my original post to see if anyone answered!! Glad I did!

I'm very technically savvy.  I have already found out about Forscan (amazing tool) since I posted this, and got my ODBC hookup adapter today.

Went out and hooked 'er up to see what the ACM values were. I downloaded my 'As Built' info from Motorcraft per my VIN# and everything was the same  EXCEPT for values for address 727-01-01. 
So, I blindly changed it to the original thinking that it would solve it, without writing down the original values I had in there (when I say I'm very tecnically savvy, I don't mean that I'm smart.. lol).

Hit the 'write all' button as that address entry doesn't have it's own 'restore' or 'write' buttons like the other lines do. Turned off the ignition and restarted it again..... and it was worse!!! With the volume cranked all the way up I could just barely hear it.

So then I'm thinking..."You dummy...should have backed up the original data"... lesson learned.

I spent the next 15 minutes finding Forscan spreadsheets to see what value I needed to change it back to at least get it back to how I had it. I was able to do that, but not without Forscan giving me check-sum grief while updating.

So now I've found a speadsheet that lists all the posssible values for the ACM addresses and have been pouring over them today to see what value may be the culprit to my still low volume issues. 

Tomorrow I'll look at the DACM values, as I sense that either I'm sending the wrong outputs to the amplifier, or the amplifier may be the issue....

I'll try to post back, but want to thank you for your insight!!!

PK

Not sure what spreadsheets you have looked at, but this should be the applicable database for our vehicles. ACM models differ over the vehicle years and AsBuilt data can change.

https://cyanlabs.net/asbuilt-db/acm-2013-2014/

Here's the ACM AsBuilt I pulled from a random 2013 C-Max with the 4" screen I found a VIN for which should closely match. The only things that may differ are the Sirius and HD Radio options. This one wasn't equipped with either.

ACM     727-01-01     F850     EE00     0066 
ACM     727-01-02     0435           
ACM     727-02-01     2E5F           
ACM     727-03-01     3062           
ACM     727-04-01     0001     0255     53DE 

By comparison, here's mine which is an SEL model with the 8" touch screen, Sirius, and HD Radio:

ACM     727-01-01     1051     FE08     0097 
ACM     727-01-02     0435           
ACM     727-02-01     2E5F           
ACM     727-03-01     3062           
ACM     727-04-01     0001     0155     53DD 

Two options worth making sure that are set properly are the EFP type and the Steering Wheel Controls. EFP should be LIN for the 4" systems while they are CAN for those with the 8" touch screens. This affects the front panel controls. SWC should always be set to Not Available. The vehicle handles this elsewhere. Not sure if they will matter as far as the audio issues you're having, but worth being aware of.

Here's the DACMC AsBuilt database. There's really not much here. The main thing should be ensuring it is set to 0=Front: Int Amp, Rear: Int Amp for the Front/Rear Satellite Speakers config. In comparison, the ACM should be set to 5=Front: External Variable, Rear: External Variable since it's handing off those duties to the DACMC.

https://cyanlabs.net/asbuilt-db/dacmc-2013-2018-asbuilt-database/

Here's a copy of the AsBuilt for mine. Given the info that's here, I don't think there's any difference between model years/trims:

DACMC    7D5-01-01    0028    00

DACMC    7D5-02-02   01

Another thing worth mentioning as well now that I think about it: Is the audio issue consistent across sources? ie: Does it happen on AM, FM, Bluetooth, USB? Bluetooth and USB are handled by the APIM while AM and FM (and Sirius/HD Radio for equipped vehicles) are handled by the ACM. The Sync APIM on the 4" equipped models have also been a bit of a mess for some owners so if the issues just occur for Bluetooth and USB, that could narrow down the cause there.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m having the same original issue as OP and would appreciate your help. 2013 C-Max Hybrid SE, 4”. Screen powers on, but when I hit the radio power knob a small window appears and then disappears (like it tried to load and then crashes.  

The dealer wanted several hundred dollars (I declined), but didn’t tell me specifically what part was needed (used the word “control” something).

Suggestions on what the culprit is, and what to replace.  This is my roommates vehicle, I’m just helping out.

On 1/5/2024 at 8:57 AM, paradox said:

I’m having the same original issue as OP and would appreciate your help. 2013 C-Max Hybrid SE, 4”. Screen powers on, but when I hit the radio power knob a small window appears and then disappears (like it tried to load and then crashes.  

The dealer wanted several hundred dollars (I declined), but didn’t tell me specifically what part was needed (used the word “control” something).

Suggestions on what the culprit is, and what to replace.  This is my roommates vehicle, I’m just helping out.

I'm assuming the 'little window' you see looks almost like a Windows dialog box that pops up briefly and then the system shuts down or goes blank after? I've attached a picture from another forum that shows this. If so, that definitely sounds like the APIM. This is something I ran into on my own vehicle and have seen others report as well and usually comes down to the APIM starting to fail and needing replaced.

3338d1517164995-2015-ford-fusion-myfordt

On 12/21/2023 at 10:32 AM, cr08 said:

Not sure what spreadsheets you have looked at, but this should be the applicable database for our vehicles. ACM models differ over the vehicle years and AsBuilt data can change.

https://cyanlabs.net/asbuilt-db/acm-2013-2014/

Here's the ACM AsBuilt I pulled from a random 2013 C-Max with the 4" screen I found a VIN for which should closely match. The only things that may differ are the Sirius and HD Radio options. This one wasn't equipped with either.

By comparison, here's mine which is an SEL model with the 8" touch screen, Sirius, and HD Radio:

Two options worth making sure that are set properly are the EFP type and the Steering Wheel Controls. EFP should be LIN for the 4" systems while they are CAN for those with the 8" touch screens. This affects the front panel controls. SWC should always be set to Not Available. The vehicle handles this elsewhere. Not sure if they will matter as far as the audio issues you're having, but worth being aware of.

Here's the DACMC AsBuilt database. There's really not much here. The main thing should be ensuring it is set to 0=Front: Int Amp, Rear: Int Amp for the Front/Rear Satellite Speakers config. In comparison, the ACM should be set to 5=Front: External Variable, Rear: External Variable since it's handing off those duties to the DACMC.

https://cyanlabs.net/asbuilt-db/dacmc-2013-2018-asbuilt-database/

Here's a copy of the AsBuilt for mine. Given the info that's here, I don't think there's any difference between model years/trims:

Hey cr08! Hope you had a Happy Holiday season! 

I'm just back to this as the Holidays took up a lot of my time, and my son (who uses this car) is home from University and uses the car eveyday. 
I just had a chance to look at it again.
Thanks for posting your DACMC values. Mine were Identical 'As Built' and on the module currently.

I reset my ACM 727-01-01 values back to my car's original As Built. Again, had to turn volume all the way up just to barely hear it.

My Original values are 727-01-01   F850 EE00 00xx

Once I changed the third value (727-01-01    xx*x xxxx xxxx) to '0' then I could then hear it 'better' but simply not loud enough... still have to have full volume for comfortable listening volume. (to answer a previous question, yes, this occurs across all inputs , FM/AM radio, Bluetooth, CD etc..)

That address's values are as follows:

5 = Front: External Variable & Rear: External Variable
0 = Front: Int Amp & Rear: Int Amp

So, I think it's safe to say in my original setup I'm trying to use the DACMC (Amplifier, value 5), but my amp is pooched. I see the values in Forescan for the DACMC (identicle to yours), but I feel it's the amp that need to be replaced as well.

Now the question lies.... what other Ford's used this same amplifier? I got the radio out of a similar year Focus, but I'm not sure they have the same amp setup?

I know the C-Max amp is located behind the passenger side glovebox... but the C-Max is a rare model to find in a wrecking yard.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

PK

On 1/5/2024 at 8:57 AM, paradox said:

Hey Paradox!

I had the exact same issue as yours. Whenever I would try to turn on the radio, a bunch of squares would kinda 'swoop' across the 4" screen but then just a blank screen, and the radio would never turn on.

I replaced the ACM (Audio Control Module) from a similar model year Ford Focus but am still having the issue of it not getting loud enough. I have to crank the volume, but at least I still have a radio now.

I believe it's the amplifier now that's causing my grief. Will update this post once I can find a replacement.

Cheers, Happy New Year!

PK

On 1/7/2024 at 1:00 PM, Petri said:

Hey Paradox!

I had the exact same issue as yours. Whenever I would try to turn on the radio, a bunch of squares would kinda 'swoop' across the 4" screen but then just a blank screen, and the radio would never turn on.

I replaced the ACM (Audio Control Module) from a similar model year Ford Focus but am still having the issue of it not getting loud enough. I have to crank the volume, but at least I still have a radio now.

I believe it's the amplifier now that's causing my grief. Will update this post once I can find a replacement.

Cheers, Happy New Year!

PK

Yes that’s exactly what it does! So is the consensus that I need a new ACM or APIM? Or both?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys.... well I found another amp (DACMC Module) from a Cmax in a wrecker last week. Finally got around to checking it out today. I reset the ACM address line 727-01-01 so that it would recognize the amp (back to the original AS BUILT setting.) 

STILL no love.... same result. Now, it MAY be that the amp I got is also not working correctly (maybe same issue). So, I'm trying to find out what other cars might have this same module.... I can't see ONLY the C-Max's would have it?

I can't see it being a different setting to what I already have. All I know is that if I change the 727-01-01 address third digit it affects the sound volume.
For example, if I set it to the original values of 

F850   EE00   0066

I can barely hear anything out of the stereo with the volume cranked all the way up. If I change the Third digit as follows:

F800   EE00    0066

those values correspond as below (as I posted before):

5 = Front: External Variable & Rear: External Variable
0 = Front: Int Amp & Rear: Int Amp

Then I CAN hear the radio, although I still have to crank it all the way up to 30 just to have an average listening experience.

But I guess this is the least of my worries. Seem the car is losing coolant somewhere, and wouldn't start the other day until the coolant was topped up and I let it sit for 8 hours. But that's a whole other thread!!! lol.

Thanks for all the help so far, and if anyone has any other ideas please let me know!!! CHeers!

PK