It's For Real!!!!

I learned today that my ingot silver C-Max SEL is on the train ... excited and have named it my Maxwell Silver Hammer - a nod to the Beatles (giving away my age). Having recently lost my husband, I was very nervous about buying a car on my own and very particular on what I wanted ... poor car salesman.  Thanks to your site and others while doing my research, I was determined to get an SEL with 302A equipment AND a fixed glass roof.  Really liked the silver but none could be found within a 800 mile radius so dealership called Ford, switched a ruby red they were ordering to ingot silver and hence, I hope to have my car next Tuesday.  Have read your forum extensively and can't tell you how helpful it has been to me ... both the good things and the problems.  Will keep you posted and hope I can rely on all your expertise should I have questions or problems.  I decided on Earth Day to go for a hybrid ... don't think that was a coincidence :) Have loved my Jeep Patriot to death but mileage just wasn't there and Jeep hasn't gotten on the hybrid bandwagon.  Hope the C-Max will give me the security and space that my Patriot has for the past 5 years ....

I'm sorry that you have recently lost your husband.  That must be really difficult for you  However, it's great that you are getting an new SEL.  Congratulations.  One thing that I have learned since getting our SEL last November is to do everything slowly.  Don't start pushing buttons madly if something on MFT isn't coming up quickly.  We use the voice commands for everything with the nav and we have the old system and it works well.  I find if you get in too big of a hurry it is easy to screw up and not remember the little things like putting your foot on the brake before starting, or putting the car in reverse when you are not in ready to drive mode (but think you are).  So just be slow and methodical with everything.  We made cheat sheets for the voice commands and that really helped in the beginning.  You will love your car, and if anything perplexes you come here and ask as we have a great bunch of members who will help with any little glitches. WELCOME.

Laurel, thanks for the tips!  I have watched the video on line of the person driving the C-Max and realize I will have to re-learn my driving patterns.  I am pretty tech savvy and actually enjoy all the new stuff but have never used voice commands.  I believe the dealership said that they have a person who will walk me through all the technology which I plan to take advantage of and look forward to using. I so appreciate all your knowledgeable posters and will visit here often.  I hope, at some point, that I will be able to offer some insight to new owners as you have!

MaxwellHammer, Welcome.  Always glad to hear of another newbie to our numbers.  Yes Laurel put it very well, take things slowly don't try to do too many things all at once.  I didn't first read my manual like allot of men thought...why read the instructions I can do it on my own through experience.  As Homer Simpson would say..."Doh!"

Well that worked for the most part but not for everything.  Several key persons on this forum were instrumental in my learning curve.  I wish I knew about this forum at the very beginning when I first got my CMax in September of 2013.  My dealer walked me through an instruction lesson the night I drove it home.  But he only touched on the tip of the iceberg, concentrating allot on the functions of the NAV and the dashboard screens using the buttons on the steering wheel.  He mentioned allot more I'm sure but verbal instructions don't work so well for this guy.  Goes in one ear and out the other.  Well actually that is an incorrect statement since I'm deaf in my left ear, so really the instructions went in my right ear and came right back out :).   I have learned so much more by just this forum, so you are in good hands.

Once again Welcome

Edited by mtb9153

I'll add my welcome here MaxwellHammer (love the name and the song BTW!) So sorry for your loss!

From another Jeep convert (mine was a Liberty, 2002), you're gonna change your driving style and be glad you did! I only wish I had known of this forum when I first got my car. I've had my SEL for about 6 months and love it! My dealership also offered a tutorial with their tech expert, which happened about a month after I got the car. By that point I had already mastered some things, but still had questions. I would suggest downloading the owners' manual (I'll send the link in a minute) because then you can search for terms. It's not the best OM in the world.

There are members of the forum who have been here since last summer, when the C-MAX first made it's appearance, so there is almost always someone who can answer your questions.

Just think! With all the reading you've been doing, you'll be ready to hit the ground running (in EV mode, of course!) when your new C-MAX arrives next week! Let the countdown begin!!

Again, Welcome!

Maxwell,

Congrats on joining the C-Max ranks! Anyone who considers themselves tech savvy will love this car, and take full advantage of all the tech! Earth Day, Beatles, we are clearly of the same  generation :-)

I'm buying this car for my wife and we are in the final stages of the purchasing process. We are buying the identical car - Ruby (Tuesday) Red with Pano Sunroof. Just curious, if you don't mide sharing, what did you pay for your car? Any discounts on negotiations?

Again, welcome, congrats and thanks,

pnwAl

Thanks, everyone!  Am happy to be part of the group :-)  Especially appreciate the link for the owner's manual.  I'm sure I will be studying it religiously. 

pnwAl ... not sure I got the best deal but tried.  My SEL 302A with glass roof ended up being $32,370 ... the only rebate I am getting off that is $750 (they will give an extra $1,000 if you are trading in a leased car).  Could be bs but was told there is very little mark-up right now with the C-Max as they want to get it out there, so they wouldn't negotiate with me.  Very high demand and low in-stock inventory.  Good marketing strategy, I guess.  I know they told me I would pay more for a ruby red as that is one of the premium colors.  My current car is red so I passed on that ... where they did negotiate is on my trade and I think I got good value for it since it is a 2008 Jeep Patriot with low mileage but only 2WD, pretty stripped but for the moon roof.  Think I did OK ... who knows, but I got the Maxwell Silver Hammer exactly as I wanted it.  First time in my life I've gotten a car with all the bells and whistles, so I'm happy. Really liked the ruby red energi that I test drove - great looking color!  Ruby Tuesday ... love it!  Am a Stones fan too :-)  Oh, I did get the environmental protection package which was extra but only because we have a camp in the Adirondacks and that pine tar (which is covered lifetime) can be nasty .... good luck with your wheeling and dealing!

Thanks, Armoredsaint ... from what I'm seeing I paid close to great price.  Makes me feel better (especially since they were so good on the trade) ... was nervous about that as this was the first time buying a car on my own. I will remember this site in case I ever buy a car again but am hoping I don't have to go through all that anytime soon!  You guys are just full of info - love it :-)

Thanks for the info, I'm really hearing the same thing you are on pricing, they aren't budging much. I ordered 2 brochures in hopes I might get a coupon in one. Sad that I'm reduced to brochure lottery for additional discounts!

Enjoy your new baby!

MaxwellHammer, welcome to the forum.  Glad the members have been able to give you the info you needed to make your decision.  Know that we'll be around to help with any questions you have.  As others have expressed, condolences on your loss.

you dont have to use the voice commands right away, if at all in the beginning. just learn one thing at a time. and if you know a teenager relative or friend make use of them to help help you with the tech. it comes second nature to them. :)

Laurel, thanks for the tips!  I have watched the video on line of the person driving the C-Max and realize I will have to re-learn my driving patterns.  I am pretty tech savvy and actually enjoy all the new stuff but have never used voice commands.  I believe the dealership said that they have a person who will walk me through all the technology which I plan to take advantage of and look forward to using. I so appreciate all your knowledgeable posters and will visit here often.  I hope, at some point, that I will be able to offer some insight to new owners as you have!