Battery replacement time?

Coast Woman

I have a ridiculously low mileage 2013 CMax Energi (34,000 miles). Really. I am the original owner, purchased the car new in December 2013. Love it. I live in an excellent climate for this car, never freezes here, temps over 75° for just a few days a year. The battery is now just charging to 8 miles. Is it time to replace the batteries? I am 77 years old, would like this to keep this as my toes-up car and not buy a new one. 

I'd first start by getting the actual capacity of the battery currently. The estimated range is practically useless as a health indicator as a lot of factors can impact the numbers. Here's the test you need to do:

1) Fully charge the car

2) Drive it in EV mode ONLY (avoid things that can cause the ICE to start, ie: No highway driving, no cabin heat, as few active accessories as possible)

3) Drive until the plug-in charge is depleted.

4) Once the plug-in charge is used and it falls back to hybrid operation, safely stop somewhere and shut off the car. The trip summary on the left screen will list the kwh used. This is the number you need. 5.5kwh is the brand new plug-in capacity from the factory. Anything above 4.0 is still in good territory.