Observation about Miles To Empty

Adair

I was on my way to a 550 mile tank this time, until I let the dealership drive it while analyzing another problem.............but that's another story! :runaway:

Anyway, I was down to 9 miles to empty with 17 miles to drive home and no stations between and no 2 gal tank in the back. :doh:  ( I KNOW Jus! I'm jus not that brave yet). The warning light had come on twice and the tank was yellow. So I stopped at the last station and got 1 gal. (I wanted to use my Kroger points when I got home to get 30 cents off, so I could try premium....as suggested in another thread). :drool:

So I pumped this 1 gallon in, got back in, and lo and behold...........A MIRACLE happened...........I now had 91 miles to empty!! :drop:  Since my mpg average at that point was 43.9.........that tells me there is more *in the bank* than the gauge tells us!.

Note to self: have more guts next time. :shift:

Last week I was driving with the yellow low fuel warning on and "50 miles to empty" displayed. I turned off the car when I got to my destination. A couple of hours later I get back in to drive home and the display jumps up to "80 miles to empty". That gave me enough confidence to stretch to just over 600 miles on the tank before I stopped to refuel.

From what I have seen and experienced, its based on the history. See my Nutz thread where I was climbing grades/hills/canyons and it was fluctuating between 0 and 35 miles left. It was kinda crazy. I think you can also expect about 25 miles once zero is hit. Like I said many times, if you use your Trip1 as your counter for the gas used, keep a careful eye on the gallons used (screw the estimate left) and DEFINITELY, don't go past 13.0 gallons, thats about the limit for mine (especially if you DO NOT top off the gas when refueling).

Edited by Jus-A-CMax