Fuelly Start?

ScubaDadMiami

If my new C-MAX left the dealer with a partially filled tank, a number of miles on the odometer, a number of stats, and then I drive to a gas station, toped off and re-set all numbers, I assume that this first fill counts as my starter tank, and the first Fuelly entry would be done at the next fill, my first clean fill from my numbers, alone.

Is this the right way to start off?

Thanks.

This is what I did.  

It appears that fuelly doesn't use the first fuel up entry to compute mpg. So, you need to enter a "starter tank".  So, since my car had 31 miles on it when I took delivery, My first entry into fuelly was 31 for the odometer reading and 0.001 gallon of fuel (I believe one can enter any value and it won't affect ones overall mpg).  My 2nd entry then was my actual fill-up data.  Now, my spreadsheet data corresponds with the fuelly data on miles and mpg since I began driving the car. 

Also, I believe you should have paid a fuel charge for a full tank upon purchase so the dealer should have topped off the tank while preparing the car for delivery.  Check your invoice.  But we really don't know.

After nearly two months of ownership, I recently joined and simply started with the tank that I was on at the time.   I use the iPhone app to log in the data while I'm still at the pump otherwise I wouldn't have joined fuelly as I don't have the discipline to do it later when I get to a computer at home or work.

You can also get Fuelly for Droids, altho I haven't used it to enter yet.

I'd like to encourage everyone to join Fuelly. It seems that a lot of the negative press mentions *mileage tracking websites* as a source of information.

We've got some good stuff going on on this board. If we all join, I believe it could positively change the Fuelly landscape.....

Does the Fuelly iOS app work offline to cache your data and upload it when you have a connection? I'm running an iPod Touch (even though I'm the last person you would ever think wouldn't have a smartphone yet), so I don't have data on the road. 

I can't answer that, but I use Fuelly through text messages, so no data connection required. http://www.fuelly.com/faq/22/fuelup-via-SMS

@Noah - just keep a pen and mini notepad in your car and print out your gas receipt every time so you can post your mpg results to fuelly at home.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was planning to do. I am already in the habit of keeping the receipt and writing the tank milage on it. And once I pull into my driveway, I should be able to pick up wifi and enter the data. 

Sometimes the low-tech solution is the best - even in a high-tech car!