I lost voice commands

Today I lost all voice prompts from MFT. These were working fine yesterday and I made no adjustments that I know of. I checked the voice command volume and that was fine.

When I pull on the voice paddle on the steering wheel, there is no voice saying "Say a command". The lower left corner of the touch screen shows that MFT is listening but any voice command generates greatly delayed results. It's as if MFT can hear me but cannot talk back.

When the navigation has a destination active, there is no voice giving turn-by-turn directions. But the system will lower the volume on music playing when you would expect those commands to occur. A couple of times I heard part of a command but it was only a word or two.

Has this happened to anyone else?

It happened on my car on the test drive! They did a master reset, but it wasn't until a tech pointed out that you have to let it sit a really long time without touching anything or it will abort the reset that we got it to work.  Ford's posted a demonstration video: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/perform-master-reset-sync-myford-touch#reload

Enjoy the upbeat music. (Notice that while it displays the Sync startup progress bar, it progresses in sync to the music.)

Edited by Noah Harbinger

There is an 'advanced' setting in MFT where you get just a ping, rather than a voice prompting you to say something. Go into settings and look for it, it's not hard to find. I actually prefer it this way.

If what happened to HP is the same as what happened to me, it is not the Advanced setting: The system enters a state as if it were listening for commands, but in fact does not respond to any command or perform any action, as if it can't hear you.

All aspects of MFT seem to work fine. Sirius presets show up on the screen, I can make outbound calls, and the navigation can determine a route but will not give voice direction.

It does seem to take longer to update the display when changing radio channels but that may be my imagination.

I was hoping to avoid a reset since, I assume, that will wipe out my radio presets and navigation history. Resetting the system every two weeks will get old real fast.

We haven't had that happen, but my advice is just to ignore it today and stop fiddling with the paddle for voice.  In all likelihood, all will be well tomorrow morning.  That is just some MFT silliness happening.  I have had other little glitches sort themself overnight.

I don't think it will be a regular occurence.  We have had a few odd things happen with MFT,  The system seems to get overloaded at times and then rights itself if left overnight.  No master sets required if we leave things be for a few hours.

Today I lost all voice prompts from MFT. These were working fine yesterday and I made no adjustments that I know of. I checked the voice command volume and that was fine.

When I pull on the voice paddle on the steering wheel, there is no voice saying "Say a command". The lower left corner of the touch screen shows that MFT is listening but any voice command generates greatly delayed results. It's as if MFT can hear me but cannot talk back.

When the navigation has a destination active, there is no voice giving turn-by-turn directions. But the system will lower the volume on music playing when you would expect those commands to occur. A couple of times I heard part of a command but it was only a word or two.

Are you saying you can pull the right paddle and say something and it does not respond?  Does it say "Say a command?"

HPRifleman.....you say you can make outbound calls......could you voicedial them or dial from the screen or phone? Could you hear the person thru the car speaker? And also, by any chance, had your car been outside in the sun all day?

I only ask because I'm trying to find someone who has the same issue I'm having with my car.

Are you saying you can pull the right paddle and say something and it does not respond?  Does it say "Say a command?"

When I pull the paddle there never a voice saying "say a command". When I tried speaking commands there was no confirmation that the command was understood.

HPRifleman.....you say you can make outbound calls......could you voicedial them or dial from the screen or phone? Could you hear the person thru the car speaker? And also, by any chance, had your car been outside in the sun all day?

I only ask because I'm trying to find someone who has the same issue I'm having with my car.

After pulling the right paddle I would say, "call HPRifleman on cell". There was no acknowledgement of the paddle pull. The call would then go through and connect to my voice mail. I never tried calling via the touch screen.

All the normal functions of MFT worked except for the talking computer voice. Satellite radio, navigation (except voice directions), USB connectivity, and phone.

Does it make a chime noise or any sound when you pull the paddle?  It could be that it has somehow been set on advanced, which does not guide you with a voice.  If so or to check, go into the settings to see how it is set.

If that were the case, it would still carry out the voice commands. 

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Does it make a chime noise or any sound when you pull the paddle?  It could be that it has somehow been set on advanced, which does not guide you with a voice.  If so or to check, go into the settings to see how it is set.

The chime was also missing as well as the voice.

Voice command settings were the same as when I picked it up from the dealer. The normal/advanced setting was on normal and the volume was at the mid point. The voice commands just stopped working on Monday and I had to do a master reset on Tuesday night.

Yes, if you are stating the commands as the system expects.  I am not nearly good or brave enough for that yet.

The voice commands are by far the easiest way of using the system.  That is all we use now.  Granted you have to use the right phrasing, but we made a cheat sheet for the commands and now pretty well have the right lingo down.  Very interesting features of using it at times ie. when giving an address verbally, you can't speak too slowly or it doesn't recognize it ie. no pausing when saying 4565 Main Street--you sort of rattle it off quickly . In the beginning I would try 4( little pause)5 (little pause) etc. and the system wouldn't recognize it.  Now I speak fairly quickly and all goes well.

no pausing when saying 4565 Main Street--you sort of rattle it off quickly . In the beginning I would try 4( little pause)5 (little pause) etc. and the system wouldn't recognize it.  Now I speak fairly quickly and all goes well.

I've had luck using tens-of-numbers addresses - e.g. "Fourty five sixty five Main Street". 

YES! The exact same thing is happening to me following my 3.5.1 upgrade, but until I read your post above, I thought I was doing something wrong. Now I realize that it's endemic to this lousy "up"grade.

After pulling the right paddle I would say, "call HPRifleman on cell". There was no acknowledgement of the paddle pull. The call would then go through and connect to my voice mail. I never tried calling via the touch screen.

All the normal functions of MFT worked except for the talking computer voice. Satellite radio, navigation (except voice directions), USB connectivity, and phone.

This is exactly what is happening to me on my recently upgraded 3.5.1 car, HPR. I wasn't concerned until I read your post here, as I just assumed it was user error. I'm still getting used to this car, but none of this new behavior is acceptable-- it's going in the wrong direction for me, introducing new bugs. Can I ask you how you do a master reset yourself? I thought that was a dealer only procedure? Thanks in advance.

Adair I haven't been back since Thursday. But all this weird behavior occurred over the weekend and reading others here makes me realize its not me and its totally unstable. It would be one thing if one issue immediately presented itself, but this has been a series of things I was going to shrug off till I started reading others here. Will keep you apprised.

• 7 months later...

The problems I noted at the beginning of this thread cropped up again this week after over 7 months of working fine.

One morning I noticed something odd on the MFT screen after leaving my driveway. Normally when my phone connects via Bluetooth to MFT I see a "spinning circle" showing that some action is taking place. The phone usually connects and things are fine. This week this happened but the spinning circle just halted and stayed on the screen without changing.

After this happened there was no MFT voice responding to my commands. Navigation voice was gone as well. In addition, any incoming calls would not generate a ringing sound through the car's speakers.

I bit the bullet and did a master reset last night. MFT appears to work normally now although I have to reprogram my radio presets and upload my wallpaper.