Synch Auto Update?

A couple of times during the last week, or a little less than that, my phone connected, as always.  However, I noticed that I would see a message about the phone connecting, after it was already connected and operational.  So, to make the message disappear, I would turn off Bluetooth, turn it back on, and then the phone would connect without the message.

Yesterday, it did the same thing.  I was just going to wait to bring it up at my next scheduled service (liftgate update).  However, when I shut down my C-MAX last night, the main screen flashed a Synch icon, and then it started showing a message that Synch was updating.  There was a progress bar below.  The update appeared to finish, and then the screen shut down, as expected.

Has anyone else seen Synch updating?  I thought that this was the type of thing that required a USB thumb drive to do the job.  :headscratch:

It happened to me 2 days ago.  Just before that happened, I saw a Windows 95 like warning box come up with an error message.  It was only there for a moment and then the screen went blank.  When it came back on, it said that Sync was updating with the progress bar that you are talking about.  I hope this isn't an ongoing issue with 3.5.1.  I am hoping that Ford didn't replace a reset screen with an updating screen to make people think that something good is happening while the system is restarting from a crash.

It could be a reboot, and that was my original thought.  Assuming that the system is getting the "update" through the cellphone, it happened in my building's parking garage, where I get no signal for my cell phone.  Of course, it could be that the system receives the update while driving in an area with good reception, and then it doesn't load until shutdown.  This doesn't make sense to me, given that we are normally supposed to go through a routine to download to a thumb drive for installation.

On the other hand, the system worked well before the "update," and it didn't happen while I was driving.  So, it does seem like it wasn't a crash of the system.

I have seen this several times - 3 if I am recalling correctly. I always assumed that it was a software update. You do make a good point regarding how the software update is obtained. I use services occasionally and it would only be possible to download software during those brief time I am connected. I doubt the system is using my phone randomly to connect for software updates. Another possibility is this is relate to Sirius. These updates could be obtained through the satellite connection. A bit of a mystery for sure.