Correct format to play videos on the screen?

i think you need to use the yellow red and white RCA jacks on the armrest not the USB for video to work.

like for a portable video game player or DVD player.

I'm going to second that. A long time ago I got a DVI to Composite adaptor - this may finally be an excuse to use that little dongle that's been sitting in a bag all these years...

I'd love to be able to send video from my phone to the screen, but currently the only way would be if your phone had an HDMI output, then you'd have to use an HDMI to composite video adapter, into the yellow RCA jack.

Those adapters need power too.  It's just too much equipment and expense to be worth it IMHO.  And then it only works when in Park, and the screen is 640x480.

Yeah, seems I thought it was capable of doing it easily.

Well, been thinking of hooking up a Roku box to the car through composite, use my (hopefully arriving soon!) FreedomPop wireless modem and see if I can stream stuff.

Sitting in the car during lunchtime is starting to sound better and better!!!! :)

i really doubt this will be possible. trying to use it for unintended purposes as designed.

Well technically everything needed is already available on the C-Max.

We have the composite input, we have an electrical outlet and we have in-car wifi.

Put them all together and BAM! In-car online media streamer!

Just doing it because it's possible. :)

I dug out an old DAT-tape camera and tried it shortly after I got the car.

It works, only in Park, needs a lot of cables, is low-res, and almost nothing uses composite video out these days.

It would have been so much better if it would play from an SD card, or take an HDMI input directly from a phone.

I would have also preferred them to do what everybody else does, and put up a disclaimer that asks if you are not the driver, and allows it when not in park.

Here is my solution.

It plays through the sound system using the RCA inputs and is AWESOME! 

I have 25,000 miles on my car. I am in it ALOT. Yes, I have it on when I drive at times. Of course, I cannot watch and drive. But, normally it is for background noise and to give me something to watch when I have a customer who is not home or I am stuck at a RR crossing.  :)

Matt

post-85-0-53971100-1371944053_thumb.jpg

Edited by Recumpence

in my Passat you can play DVDs but only in park. once you go over 5 mph or some low speed it shuts off the video but you can still listen to the voices/audio. some folks figured out how to recode it to put the speed threshold at a much higher value so you can watch "DVD in motion" but of course of you get caught you will get a ticket since it is illegal. hence why Ford doesn't want you to get video there.it's too much of a temptation/distraction and no way to know who is watching or not.

I dug out an old DAT-tape camera and tried it shortly after I got the car.

It works, only in Park, needs a lot of cables, is low-res, and almost nothing uses composite video out these days.

It would have been so much better if it would play from an SD card, or take an HDMI input directly from a phone.

I would have also preferred them to do what everybody else does, and put up a disclaimer that asks if you are not the driver, and allows it when not in park.